Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 10:48   #16

Re: Liveaboards and Cruisers get the flu/sick too

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Real honest to God flu is a killer, it is not something that is an annoyance, it kills, or can anyway.
Yes, but most people have no idea what influenza is. They just call any moderately severe viral infection "the flu." Usually a doctor will not even bother to have a virus identified, and just treats the symptoms. Although that might be changing now that molecular diagnostics are getting easier and cheaper. The one time I had a viral illness serious enough to do that, it came back as "parvovirus." Anyway, I am always first in line for that flu shot.

The gram-reaction thing for bacteria is more or less correct, but there is a bit more to it than that. But that's a couple of weeks worth of lectures.

Oh and... the suppository stuff, I believe is useful for situations when you can't stop vomiting, not when you can't stop the other end. That's pretty much the opposite situation.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:14   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Oh and... the suppository stuff, I believe is useful for situations when you can't stop vomiting, not when you can't stop the other end. That's pretty much the opposite situation.

I think your right, it is for seasickness, which thank God I have never really had. I have been sick, but not wishing I would die sick, not yet anyway.

However they do test for flu now, its a swab shoved very painfully up your nose. I have been tested, once. Before I submit to the test again, we are going to talk about it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 11:30   #18

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
... Case in point: For six months each year I work more than full time as a Registered Nurse in a hospital where I'm surrounded by and in close contact with sick people every day, many with diseases which have no known cure. I do wash my hands frequently while at work in between contact and I don't touch my face.
Referring to your last sentence: wow, is that ever a true statement! I used to get colds (sometimes flu) every year, sometimes twice a year. Then, I read something about bacteria not being able to crawl very far. Six inches maybe? You'd know. Anyway, I stopped touching my face. It was difficult, at first, because we humans do this all the time without knowing it. I did it in two steps. First, I had to consciously notice when I tried to touch my face. For the first step, I'd twist my hand so the back of it was used instead of fingers. This was because the instinct was so hard to stop. For the second step, I ceased touching it altogether. Haven't had a cold/flu for about seven years (OK, one).
Old 22-05-2017, 11:49   #19

Ah, Ken - don't believe everything you read ;-0)!

But thanks for the kind thought!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:45   #20

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Back in January I discovered my medicine locker lacked a lot. Though I had items to bandage sores, etc. because I "never" get sick I had nothing for a cold. I wrote an article detailing what I learned and the Dollar Tree meds I now stock.

Missing Medicines article on janice142
Thanks!

I still remember the norovirus on Blue Light (4 years ago, lol). I never really thought about what I'd do if I got sick, although I had a decent micro first aid kit for my hiking 10 essentials. Mostly, in my family, we just bull through sickness. Maybe a motrin once a month😉.

But then, I was streaming fluid from both ends for 48 hours, on a boat with wayyyy too little tankage, no antidiarrheals, no antiemetics, not enough paper towels, toilet paper, etc...

I was living aboard by myself in Harris Harbor, Juneau, with no marina facilities. Great protected docks, but one porta potty also used by the resident homeless population. Absolutely needed supplies, but 1) no 24hr stores in Juneau, 2) I was certain horrible embarrassing things would happen. When I did go I had to pull over to vomit on regular intervals. Fortunately, by then, the lower chambers were completely empty😖.

I carried a bleach rag with me into the store, bc I'd worked through college at a skilled nursing facility and they'd hammered infection control into my head, but I desperately wanted some supplies.

Lost my weekend and two days of work which I spent sleeping.

Meander has a pretty good store of anti-emetic and anti-diarrheal pills, far more drinking water, electrolytes, a hot water bottle, and plenty of shop towels and toilet paper as a result!

The real lasting impression was the misery of being sick alone in a place without facilities or recourse. 11pm to 7am when the stores reopened was a very long period for me! The memory doesn't keep me from travel or isolation (my husband and I have logged 100,000+ miles microcamping and hiking since then, and hope to have as many miles under Meander's keel in a decade) but it sure shapes how I plan for life on a boat!

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:53   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboards and Cruisers get the flu/sick too

Paracetamol heals all.. especially washed down with a large Havana Club..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:58   #22

BTW, if you have a store-bought first-aid kit, it's probably worth doing inventory some long winter night.

I paid way too much money for the "6-Person Off-Shore" first aid kit from WM. Got everything you need, right? Why worry?

Mostly, it's got a lot of bandages in a lot of packaging. But I find it mildly amusing that this "6-person" kit contains ONE (1) anti-nausea tablet. I'm imagining the YouTube video of six violently seasick people trying to fight over the one available pill... and then it blows overboard or gets dropped into the bilge water.

Also, all the labeling and directions on that stuff is in about a 2-point font. In pastels. Better have a young person with a strong light and a magnifying glass on board.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 16:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
BTW, if you have a store-bought first-aid kit, it's probably worth doing inventory some long winter night.

I paid way too much money for the "6-Person Off-Shore" first aid kit from WM. Got everything you need, right? Why worry?

Mostly, it's got a lot of bandages in a lot of packaging. But I find it mildly amusing that this "6-person" kit contains ONE (1) anti-nausea tablet. I'm imagining the YouTube video of six violently seasick people trying to fight over the one available pill... and then it blows overboard or gets dropped into the bilge water.

Also, all the labeling and directions on that stuff is in about a 2-point font. In pastels. Better have a young person with a strong light and a magnifying glass on board.
Hahahah!! Yeah, our last trip my poor husband and the dog were seasick. 2 pills per person per day for 5 days. Point well taken.

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 16:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Paracetamol heals all.. especially washed down with a large Havana Club..
Good advice :-) I found out yesterday the common active ingredient in those various getting rid of a sore throat medicines found in the grocery aisle is acetaminophen (paracetamol by another name). WTF have I been paying for all these years? Sugar syrup?

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 17:09   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Getting back to the question of serious infectious disease at sea...

As stated, infection comes from other folks. IIRC, the incubation period for many common diseases is on the order of a few days. So, if worried, simply isolate yourself for such a period after your last exposure... go out and anchor alone and see if you get sick. If nothing happens, you should be good to go. This may cause an issue with customs in some countries; you can either explain your plan and hope to be granted permission, or you can just do it and hope not to be noticed.

Experience: Some years ago, Ann and I left Auckland headed for Fiji. three days out we both came down with the "Victoria A" virus that was rampant in NZ at the time. We were both incapacitated for several days, with high fevers, weakness, violent leakage at both ends... it was really awful! Neither of us was able to stand watch,, so we hove to (with the anchor light on at night) until I recovered enough to get under way again. Ann was still poorly, so we returned to NZ where we both recovered for some days, rebuilding strength. It is the only time ever that our boat has been legitimately "not under command", and like most yotties, we did not have the requisite shapes or lights to designate this. Fortunately, the area ~450 miles north of NZ is not heavily trafficked with shipping and we survived.

In many ways, this was the scariest thing that has ever happened to us at sea!

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 17:25   #26

Eek!

Did the event change how you plan for such low-frequency but high-impact issues in the future?

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 17:32   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
Eek!

Did the event change how you plan for such low-frequency but high-impact issues in the future?
Sure! I tell Ann she can't get sick...

Jim

Seriously, not too much. We don't get sick often, likely due to minimal exposure to sickies, and I guess we just hope for the best before going offshore. If only one of us were to succumb it would not be so bad, and we'd just keep going most likely. One of those hard to plan for events...

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 17:35   #28

Lol. I liked the story anyways. Maybe I should have made the title of this thread 'Tell me your tales of misery on a boat'.

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 19:18   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Once at Governor's Harbor in Eleuthera I remarked to Nancie about the unusual "tangy" sauce on the chicken sandwich that I had ordered. I was vomiting and miserable for two weeks! To this day we still prepare a meal in memory of this event. It's far safer, but we call it "Chicken Quarantine".
Old 22-05-2017, 20:24   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Once at Governor's Harbor in Eleuthera I remarked to Nancie about the unusual "tangy" sauce on the chicken sandwich that I had ordered. I was vomiting and miserable for two weeks! To this day we still prepare a meal in memory of this event. It's far safer, but we call it "Chicken Quarantine".
Hhahaha! Now I must know the Quarantine Chicken recipe 😋

turtletraveling.com

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard