Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 04:54   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Liveaboard: who's making these rules?

I recently stayed on board 5 months at a “no live aboards allowed” marina. It really comes down to the marina manager and boater responsibility.

Of course while I have lived full time on my boat for over 4 years, I am not a live aboard. I am a cruiser who has stopped a while at a location.
Old 06-12-2020, 18:27   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

For ten years we had our cat at two different, very nice private-owned marinas that allowed liveaboards. I got to know many of them and those were really nice people. Some had plans of cruising adventure, others were basically floating apartment dwellers. And there were a minority that had boats that were not seaworthy, had trash covered finger docks, air condition ducting strewn across the deck, the dog crap, etc. Albeit there were rules against this, in one of the marinas the owner instead decided to end all liveaboard leases. Basically not worth the headache of enforcing rules, extra bathrooms, trash pickup and parking, etc. Both were private marinas - so you cant blame the prohibition on government.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 18:43   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Supply and demand. People are willing to pay more for nice slip space with pretty boats instead of run-down docks with tired derelicts.
Most of the really iffy boats I see are the ones bought by some non boat type, doesn’t set foot but a few times a year, who just keeps paying the slip and a small reef starts to form on the bottom, these are also the boats that tend to cause issues during storms, or catching on fire, etc.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 18:47   #19

In the NE where I boat many (most?) marinas do not allow liveaboards at all.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 18:33   #20

Boat: Celestial 48

Here in Hawaii there is the same rule about number/percentage of liveaboards. Yes it is a problem when people think it's a cheap way to live and make it difficult for the rest of us. As others have said the infrastructure (parking, showers, bathrooms, pump out, security, etc.) are more utilized by liveaboards and so there has to be a limit as to the number of liveaboards. Over the years I have seen when the harbor master turns a blind eye to "sneak aboards" the derelicts increase in numbers along with the crime. Currently the harbor is strict and the atmosphere is so much better.
Alawaiorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 10:47   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jack.
I can answer some of this. I manage a marina in NC, and in both NC and VA for sure, and probably other states, we are prohibited from using more than 15% of our slips as liveaboard. I'm sure there are other zoning and permits you can get to be all liveaboards, but this is the standard marina regulation here.i believe that the City here, the zoning and business/residential districts seem to control these rules.

At my marina, we allow eight nights a month, basically every weekend, and if someone's just coming every weekend or the equivalent, we're pretty flexible with that and overlook the months that have an extra weekend or if there's a holiday weekend or such.

In addition, a marina has to be SO careful when approving a liveaboard. I'm afraid the majority of the people who inquire about liveaboard here are derelicts, shady people, people with alcohol and substance issues - basically they couldnt maintain a residence on land and a relative is willing to scrape up money for a junker boat and pay the first months rent to get them out of their hair - now these people are our problem. Or straight up homeless people that are able to find free boats, and have no income so don't pay and frequently steal from other people in the marina out of desperation. One such bad apple ruins a liveaboard community.

We strive hard to find good, honest sea-loving folks, who are respectable and not partiers, and are friendly great additions to the community. Due to this, most liveaboard spots at the vast majority of marinas I confer with require references from people know by the marina. I myself do not.

To stand out as good liveaboard community material, inquire in person. Be polite. Show pictures of your boat - we have to know the condition of the vessel and we are constantly lied to-, tell us a bit about your boat so we know you are a boat person and that you plan to maintain and improve your vessel. Mention you have steady income, and your basic schedule - 'I work days, go to bed at a decent hours; I don't do parties but like to have some nice people over for a few cocktail on the weekend and look at the stars, but we're not rowdy. ' That's what I live to hear! We don't want people running the docks at all hours, we don't want deadbeats. Offer a marina reference if you have one, or a local person as a reference.

Expect an initial 'no' or mention of a wait-list. But keep the lines of communication open, and let us see that you accept no gracefully, and see how fast you get offered a liveaboard slip. This is how I pick them, and I've never gotten a bad seed. We have an amazing group of diverse people, no drama, just great neighbors and a pleasant community. This is the best part of being a liveaboard!
juelzofthe7seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 12:14   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Or... just become become a liveaboard. LOL.

Rent a slip for a week, then a month. Then another month. Then a season.

The best way to look for liveaboard status is to do what Sailorboy is doing and just stay somewhere a while.

Money talks. Spend it on a slip and see how it goes. Even the most staunch anti liveaboard place will probably let you once you prove you pay for your slip and are a good member of the community by pulling this great trick on them...

paying your slip and being a good member of the community.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 16:54   #23

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Have you considered a moorage ball?

I’m not familiar with Californian laws, they seem endless.
Chayal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2021, 19:37   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Moorings are rare in CA. There are some guest moorings at Catalina Is., but most boats live in marinas.

Ann
Old 26-07-2021, 21:08   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I am in Ventura and the county sets the rules...they own the land and indirectly dictatate marina fees by what tge cahrge the owners of the marins. They are all a bunch of poltical idiots living is nice homes with absolutely no idea how to run a business. We had a restaurant building that sat vacant for a decade near or marina because tge caunty wanted the new leeses to pay 10 years worth of property taxes before giving the a lease. aThose are tge people who run California. We like to blame the marina owners ..but nothing moves without the politicians...permits...time delays...and costs.
I know...I buolt a custom home and nobody outside of California have any ideas what horrific process it is.

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, rule