Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2018, 17:49   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

ALSO, the new federal DL standards and motor voter laws tie your voting elegibility to your DL. Where ever you get your DL is your state for voting. Can you even get a DL without some address? I suspect not.

Also the Feds require states to confirm citizenship but the federal courts have said its illegal to ask for PROOF of citizenship. So, they can ask if you are a citizen, they can not ask for proof. But if you get caught voting then you can go to jail.

This may or may not be changing as the new DL standards come into play, I’ve lost track.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 18:27   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I actually Live on a boat! Why does the boat have to sit in one place so I can vote?

I don't think you have to stay in one place.

The Clay County law was posted.

Other entities will have their laws.

I am talking about the ramifications of complying or not complying with the law as written not how we wish it was written. That is the reality that matters.

In your case you seem to be covered.

Good luck.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 18:50   #108
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
I am not going to undo my ad blocker to click on your link
Then just google

National Popular Vote interstate compact

The current system - state-based, winner-take-all - laws that the National Popular Vote bill will replace are not "the Founders' system," were never debated at the Constitutional Convention and never mentioned in "The Federalist Papers."

In fact, a majority of states did not have such laws until the eleventh presidential election, generations after the Founding Fathers were dead.

Second, the idea that the current system is designed to protect small states is just plain silly. It is not. In fact, the five smallest states have not received a general election campaign event in more than 20 years. Small-state interests routinely get ignored under the current system, in favor of the parochial interests of a few battleground states. It is obvious that a lack of small-state influence is a shortcoming of the system.*National Popular Vote, when it takes effect, will ensure that a voter in Bismarck, North Dakota, for example, is as relevant as a voter in Boca Raton, Florida.

Third, California will represent only 12 percent of the voting population in a vote for president. Even in the worst years, Republicans earn four out of every 10 votes in California - without running earnest campaigns there. So the math discredits the argument that California will control presidential elections. It is a red herring, at best.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 18:57   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Then just google

National Popular Vote interstate compact

The current system - state-based, winner-take-all - laws that the National Popular Vote bill will replace are not "the Founders' system," were never debated at the Constitutional Convention and never mentioned in "The Federalist Papers."

In fact, a majority of states did not have such laws until the eleventh presidential election, generations after the Founding Fathers were dead.

Second, the idea that the current system is designed to protect small states is just plain silly. It is not. In fact, the five smallest states have not received a general election campaign event in more than 20 years. Small-state interests routinely get ignored under the current system, in favor of the parochial interests of a few battleground states. It is obvious that a lack of small-state influence is a shortcoming of the system.*National Popular Vote, when it takes effect, will ensure that a voter in Bismarck, North Dakota, for example, is as relevant as a voter in Boca Raton, Florida.

Third, California will represent only 12 percent of the voting population in a vote for president. Even in the worst years, Republicans earn four out of every 10 votes in California - without running earnest campaigns there. So the math discredits the argument that California will control presidential elections. It is a red herring, at best.

If it doesn't make a difference then there is no reason to change it.

The system was fine until your candidate lost.

But look, you live in a fantasy world so I have no intention of going down your emotional rabbit holes.
Old 19-07-2018, 18:59   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

Quote:
Where you actually live?

On the boat, and it moves, so I don’t actually have a physical address.
Actually the federal government is aware of SBI, if you try to register your aircraft using that address, they come back and say it’s a commercial address, you can’t use it, you have to have a physical address. It can be your mailing address, but they need a physical address for you, no other option exists.
So I used 1 Clay Street, which is what my voter registration card has as an address.
I didn’t make any of this up, that was the address assigned to me by the voting registration office in Clay Co, a government agency.
So should I use Great Aunt Mary’s address, where I have never lived and certainly never intend to live? Isn’t that more fraudulent than using the address assigned to you by a Government agency?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 19:02   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On the boat, and it moves, so I don’t actually have a physical address.
Actually the federal government is aware of SBI, if you try to register your aircraft using that address, they come back and say it’s a commercial address, you can’t use it, you have to have a physical address. It can be your mailing address, but they need a physical address for you, no other option exists.
So I used 1 Clay Street, which is what my voter registration card has as an address.
I didn’t make any of this up, that was the address assigned to me by the voting registration office in Clay Co, a government agency.
So should I use Great Aunt Mary’s address, where I have never lived and certainly never intend to live? Isn’t that more fraudulent than using the address assigned to you by a Government agency?

What is 1 Clay Street?
Old 19-07-2018, 19:31   #112
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Both are equally untrue.

If they want to be able to knock on an actual door to ask about your whereabouts, where would you rather send them?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 19:32   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I don't care who is dog catcher but the current system prevents us from voting anywhere. we retired, sold our home, moved aboard and sailed to the Caribbean. our daughter handles mail and bills. with no residence, we are disenfranchised. we no longer have any say in which despot crook is elected.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 19:49   #114

Since expat numbers are 5-7 mil i.e roughly 2% of the population and greater then populations of many states (actual # is classified, I kid you not) why not pass a Constitutional Amendment creating add'l reps/senators in Congress? This way a dog catcher in Clay county won't have to worry about outside agitators. And expats will have a national voice w/o going through the legal hoops and fictions to vote.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 20:13   #115

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I don't care who is dog catcher but the current system prevents us from voting anywhere. we retired, sold our home, moved aboard and sailed to the Caribbean. our daughter handles mail and bills. with no residence, we are disenfranchised. we no longer have any say in which despot crook is elected.
As noted in post #103 you can vote in Federal elections as an expat
https://www.justice.gov/crt/uniforme...tee-voting-act
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 20:26   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
What is 1 Clay Street?

It is apparently the address that all SBI people registered to vote live at for their records anyway. I have no idea why it’s not 411 Walnut Street, which is the mailing address for SBI.
Among other things I assume they do that so that your not called for jury duty, and I’m sure they have other reasons, what they are, I don’t know. They came up with it , the voting registration office.
See I feel sure all this was done to establish residency, not so much for voting, registering to vote, receiving mail, registering an automobile, getting a drivers license, all these things help and or establish residency. I have done all these things to include registering the Boat and an airplane.
I bank with USAA like a whole lot of Retired Military, and nothing ties me to any other address other than SBI.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 07:27   #117

Quote:
It is apparently the address that all SBI people registered to vote live at for their records anyway. I have no idea why it’s not 411 Walnut Street, which is the mailing address for SBI.
Among other things I assume they do that so that your not called for jury duty, and I’m sure they have other reasons, what they are, I don’t know. They came up with it , the voting registration office.
See I feel sure all this was done to establish residency, not so much for voting, registering to vote, receiving mail, registering an automobile, getting a drivers license, all these things help and or establish residency. I have done all these things to include registering the Boat and an airplane.
I bank with USAA like a whole lot of Retired Military, and nothing ties me to any other address other than SBI.

Your Avatar shows that you are in GA.

Where do you store the plane?

I am not criticizing what you are saying, just trying to understand the situation that you have presented.
Old 20-07-2018, 08:15   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I’m a citizen, I get a say! Not my fault really that I had to become a resident of a “place” to do it. If gcs doesn’t like it they need to take it up with their Federal Representations and Senators who of course will make it their mission to get the rest of the House and Senate to write a bill and get approved to change the system.
As a citizen of the USA, you get a say by voting in the community where you reside.

You are not a citizen of GCS (based on your prior post), so no, you don't get a say in GCS.

They have the resident thing figured out, you just have to go back and vote in the jurisdiction of your residence.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 08:26   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I guess you haven't heard of the National Popular Vote interstate compact.

As soon as it is passed in enough states possessing 270 electoral votes, the Electoral College becomes immediately irrelevant, no constitutional amendment required.

And good riddance too, since they failed to do the job the were supposed to in 2016.

Under the compact, the winner would be the candidate who receives the most popular votes on election day, every citizen from every state's vote becomes equally important.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...er-to-reality/
The electoral college operated exactly how it was supposed to in 2016. It wasn't a mistake by the founding fathers but very much intentional. They specifically did not want mob rule and states agreed to be part of the country based on a system where the large states couldn't steamroll the smaller states. This would squash that fundamental principal.

It also disenfranchises voters from states who voted against the potential winner of this system. They may have gotten the majority in their state but they still lose.

If this plan ever did get the numbers required, I would expect it to be quickly struck down as unconstitutional.
Old 20-07-2018, 08:32   #120

Quote:
Different issue, I’m not here illegally, and calling them a more politically acceptable name doesn’t change the fact they are.
I own some furniture and other belongings in storage in Ga. I sold the house and land.
I do no work in any other State and will of course pay taxes on my income if due to my State of residence.
Now I don’t want to vote on the dog catcher or mayor or local cop or whatever, however it’s a slippery slope when you start deciding on who can and who can’t vote.
My belief is the reason when the country was founded that you had to be a property owner, was that is who paid taxes, and their idea, not mine was only taxpayers should determine how the taxes were spent.
However has now become that all you have to have is be of age and have a warm body, and I guess not be a convicted felon, if you meet those requirements you have the right to vote.

Voting is not really the issue here, establishing residency is. I give a darn whether I’m a resident of anywhere or not, however my Federal Government requires me to be a resident of somewhere in order for me to own an airplane, exercise my privileges as a mechanic, pilot and inspector, have a bank account etc.
It’s not my idea, it is theirs. I’d just as soon not bother. It cost me $300 per automobile for “new car on the road” fees to register them in Fl.

So all you experts, where is someone like me or traveling nurses, or other retirees supposed to claim as a residence?
Some say well use a family members address or friend, but how is that any different at all than using a mail forwarding agency like SBI? You don’t live there either, and don’t intend to either. I spend more time in Fl than any other State, and if I retire Stateside, it will likely be in Fl, and why not Green Cove Springs? It ticks a lot of boxes for me, pretty rural, close to a large city, close to a military base.

It seems to me that the ones who object, do so on the basis of well I don’t get to, they shouldn’t either.

Well, you do get to, if you decide to, just don’t cry about us that have.
Voting is the issue here (see the title of the thread). It's perfectly legal and acceptable to utilize a mail forwarding service...to forward your mail. It's also legal to register a car in a state separate from your residence (though you may still have tax implications in your home state).

Using a friends or families address may work functionally (as it's near impossible for the authorities to catch on) but it doesn't meet the rule.

Based on your post, I believe you lived in a permanent location in GA prior to moving onto the boat. Therefore if you haven't established residency in FL, you are still officially a resident of your GA community and would vote there per the law.

Tags
liveaboard