Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 15:01   #136

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
What taxes?
- You pay for your drivers license, which isn't a tax and really is a loss when you consider the cost of administrating the license system.
- You might pay for registration...if you keep the boat in Florida...but again, they aren't making money on it.
- No personal property tax in the state.
- No state income tax.

What taxes are you talking about?
FEDERAL - Conspicuously not on your list. Bigger than all of the others combined. I am taxed. I cannot vote anywhere. I have no representation.

Reresentation, not just a word. There is absolutely no one I can enlist for any grievance against the government. You might recall our ancestors fought a war over this.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 15:07   #137

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So why is it that other cruisers who sold all and use a friend/relative/service to receive mail have no problem getting absentee ballots from the state they last resided in? Our mail goes to Green Cove Springs, FL, including our absentee ballots from Washington state. It was very easy to setup.
When your board discovers someone else is living at your address you will be purged. This will likely happen when the current owner tries to vote. My wife sat on the board where we used to live. Owners of record and voter names are cross checked as you attempt to acquire your ballot at your precinct.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:30   #138

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
When your board discovers someone else is living at your address you will be purged. This will likely happen when the current owner tries to vote. My wife sat on the board where we used to live. Owners of record and voter names are cross checked as you attempt to acquire your ballot at your precinct.
8 years now.
See:
Quote:
Your voting residence is your address in the State in which you were last domiciled, immediately prior to leaving the United States.

This residence may remain valid even if:

You no longer own property or have other ties to that State.
Your intent to return to that State is uncertain.
Your previous address is no longer a recognized residential address.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:30   #139
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What "board" is that?

All these issues vary from one jurisdiction to another.

Any US citizen who wants to vote can do so, with not much effort, it is not **that** difficult no matter your living situation.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:44   #140
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"When your board discovers someone else is living at your address you will be purged."
That would be a fast way to face federal sanctions. There are often blended families, where the husband and wife have different surnames--but the same address. And the late teen or later kids may have a surname (from the previous husband) also still registered to vote from the same address, all legal and proper.
Then there's the basement tenant. The boarding house resident. The multiple unit dwelling, where apartment numbers are not always given. All legal and proper.

John-
Voting is easy? As tip O'Neill must have said "Vote early and vote often!"
NBC-NYC news' Betty Furness actually registered to vote seven times, then went to confront the board of elections about why that was possible. (Probably 25 years ago.) The commissioner promptly had her arrested for voter fraud. Wrong thing to do to a prominent member of a prominent news organization. The city released her rather quickly and said the matter would be addressed by the new incoming commissioner after the start of the new year, but AFAIK after all these years, no new safeguards have ever been put in. Everyone is afraid of being accused of disenfranchising the voters.
Some years ago, I heard a Congresscritter on a talk show. He said that back when he was getting started, he was sent out with a young LBJ to get the names of deceased voters from tombstones, literally, to use their votes. He found one that was so hard to read, that he said "Skip this one" and supposedly LBJ told him to go back and try harder, that man had the same right to vote as everyone else.
From the words of the elected themselves. This is the system, all the parties know it and all of them play it, whenever it is to their advantage. They only complain when the opposition has played a better game.

Many folks are unaware that Bill Clinton was a no-one from a no-state until he gave the Democratic party a billion dollar "donation". He pointed out that they could use the newly created PACs to get around the personal campaign contribution limits, allowing literally billions of dollars to be donated legally and funneled to candidates. is reward? Yup, they ran him as candidate. Now everyone uses PACs. Spy versus spy.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 11:56   #141

Quote:
FEDERAL - Conspicuously not on your list. Bigger than all of the others combined. I am taxed. I cannot vote anywhere. I have no representation.

Reresentation, not just a word. There is absolutely no one I can enlist for any grievance against the government. You might recall our ancestors fought a war over this.
And has been stated multiple times on this thread, your legal domicile is your last permanent address. If that locality refuses to keep you registered and allow you to vote, you have a complaint.

Trying to vote where your mail gets forwarded isn't valid. So, your comment has no basis in fact.
valhalla360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 12:03   #142

Quote:
The challenge with that is it's much more difficult to determine if an individual at a single family residence is legitimately living there. Unless it's a tiny community and the board happens to know everyone's personal living situation, they are unlikely to ever catch on.

By comparison, when there are a hundreds or thousands using a single address that is known in the community to have no residential space...it's a lot easier to figure out what is happening.
Old 23-07-2018, 12:31   #143

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And has been stated multiple times on this thread, your legal domicile is your last permanent address. If that locality refuses to keep you registered and allow you to vote, you have a complaint.

Trying to vote where your mail gets forwarded isn't valid. So, your comment has no basis in fact.

So your saying where you live, is where you used to live?

By claiming the address at St Brendanís Isle is your domicile, your not doing anything illegal.
Using a previous address, you may be.

You guys need it read this.
https://domicile.uslegal.com/distinc...and-residence/
Your confusing residence with Domicile.
In fact my boat has been legally accepted by the state of Florida to be my Domicile, that was the form that I had Notarized and placed on file in the Clay Co. Courthouse.
My Fl State drivers license has for my address first my USCG registration number and under that Green Cove Springs Fl 32043.

Now you tell me, what does the State of Fl consider as both my Domicile, and my residence?
Hint, Iím currently residing in my Domicile.

Whether in your opinion you think it ought not to be that way or you donít think itís fair etc., is irrelevant.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 12:36   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Liveaboard voting rights threatened in Clay County FL

The title of the thread, and the only thing that is in question is Voting rights, not Residence and not Domicile.
You guys keep trying to make it something more for some reason.

Now in my opinion, some smart Lawyer might could take this fact that the State of Florida has officially accepted my boat as being my home by putting its registration as my residence on my Drivers License and do something Fourth Amendment wise.
The State has legally accepted my boat as my home, should not it be given the same consideration as say a Mobile Home?
Old 23-07-2018, 12:43   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

You're situation is a bit different because you lived in the US and still remain there. If you are an expat living outside the country then the statement above is basically true when it comes to voting rights.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 12:49   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Iíll give you that if your an Expat that likely the rules are different. In truth I donít have a clue what they are, but the thread isnít about Expats.
I realize threads drift, this one for example quickly went to people thinking itís not fair that we can claim Fl as our Domicile State and no longer pay taxes to the State we were from, although if your not there, your money isnít there, and you own no property there, how could you owe them taxes?

However as I have stated over and over, I didnít dream this up, nor likely did other Cruisers. The US Federal Government did, itís their requirement that you MUST have a fixed address, not mine.
We are just trying to comply with a Federal mandate is all.
Old 23-07-2018, 13:01   #147

Well the title of the thread does say voting rights. Are you saying for voting rights you need a fixed address in the US?
Old 23-07-2018, 13:26   #148

Quote:

By claiming the address at St Brendanís Isle is your domicile, your not doing anything illegal.
Using a previous address, you may be.

You guys need it read this.
https://domicile.uslegal.com/distinc...and-residence/
Your confusing residence with Domicile.
In fact my boat has been legally accepted by the state of Florida to be my Domicile, that was the form that I had Notarized and placed on file in the Clay Co. Courthouse.
My Fl State drivers license has for my address first my USCG registration number and under that Green Cove Springs Fl 32043.

Now you tell me, what does the State of Fl consider as both my Domicile, and my residence?
Hint, Iím currently residing in my Domicile.

Whether in your opinion you think it ought not to be that way or you donít think itís fair etc., is irrelevant.
Did they accept you by mistake? It sounds like that might be the case. If you go into the DMV and tell them this is the address you live at...the average guy behind the counter is just going to type it in and not think anything more of it... 99% of the time, people give them the correct information, so they aren't typically looking for this type of error...except now it looks like they caught on to it and is tying to correct the errors.

And, No they aren't saying you live where you used to live. You have decided to live outside the normal bounds of society and since they don't want to take away you right to vote, they have decided the most logical option for voting is to keep you associated with the last community that you resided in rather than a mail forwarding business in a community where you have no link at all and may never have even visited.
Old 23-07-2018, 14:21   #149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Well the title of the thread does say voting rights. Are you saying for voting rights you need a fixed address in the US?
I'm sure for voting you have to have an address, and years ago I believe the Supreme Court decided that you could claim you lived in a box under a bridge and vote based on that address, but you have to have an address.
However what I was speaking to is try to open a bank account for example, due I believe to the Patriot act, you can't unless you have a fixed permanent address. Theory is that somehow helps stop terrorism, I guess terrorists don't have enough sense to just claim Aunt Martha's house?
I know for sure you can't register an airplane without an address, and it needs to be one you get mail at, cause that is where they will send the letter with the code that you go online to re-register with. I know this, cause I just did it this month.
I don't remember specifics, but I bet you need an address to register your boat with?
Old 23-07-2018, 14:22   #150
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
my boat has been legally accepted by the state of Florida to be my Domicile, that was the form that I had Notarized and placed on file in the Clay Co. Courthouse.
That is a very exceptional situation.

I would like to find out more about it, what are the conditions required to do the same, can truly homeless or nomadic camper-dwellers do it,

and do other states have anything similar?

And are you one of those feeling disenfranchised by this new local law?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard