Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 07:44   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Liveaboard on the hard

I've done it once....pick the time of the year to do it.

I hauled out once during peak summer months....it was hot as blazes, I was on the hard for about a week, it was total and utter misery. There was a toilet and sink available, shared with many others, but you had to time your arrival or wait....the place stank to high heavens....no shower off course...had to use the hose for that....sleeping on the boat was pure misery due to the heat and no airflow...

At night the yard was locked up. To go anywhere, meant scaling the fence...

At the time, my haulout choices were limited, but I learned my lesson...if you have the option, carefully select the yard you plan on using. I had no vehicle available for my use either and it was a long, hot walk to the nearest convenience store for a few items.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:50   #32
Marine Service Provider

a walk up ladder would have been pure bliss....my options were limited in selecting the least likely to fail rickety aluminum stepladder lashed to the lifelines....ugh...I shudder in recollecting this event....
Old 17-08-2020, 08:34   #33

Boat: 29 ft

If the work is outside on the boat, it can mean efficient work. If there is serious internal work on the boat, living and working on it can be a real drag on efficiency. You may have dirt where you do not want any, you may have to move things around between work time and living time, ... . For the latter, some other means of accomodation during the stay might make sense.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
No Canadian experience.

In much of the Caribbean this is common, no special insurance. There are a couple of old guys in the Chaguaramos, Trinidad boat yard that never leave.
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:26   #35

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrtraptow View Post
...I wasn't thinking long-term just maybe 6 months or so...
That's 'long term'. Most of us have done it for a week or three at the beginning or end of the season, but it's invariably a PIA and as noted by many 'unnatural'; over and above the ladder access and water - grey and black - issues, my biggest bugbear is being surrounded by air, rather than having one half (preferably the lower one) under water, which makes it hotter in hot weather and colder in cold weather, Florida in August and Greece in February remain particularly memorable, fortunately both were for less than a week.
Old 17-08-2020, 09:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Hmmmm. Felt just fine in Trinidad 4-10 weeks per season.

See if the marina can set you up like this. Shrink cover outside the drip line of the toe rail. Walk up steps and landing with railing. Carry two bags of groceries and walk directly onto the deck. Chaguaramos really knows how to treat us.
pkirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:46   #37

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

I stayed on my boat on the hard in Oregon. Not approved nor sanctioned by any government housing agency. I was there for about a year. It was difficult climbing down a 12 foot ladder just to visit the outhouse. Most boatyards nix this or discourage it by charging more to live on a ratty old boat than in a condo downtown.

As for insurance I was required to have a 1 million dollar liability policy with 300k personal injury rider. Pretty much standard at marinas around here.

Living aboard a boat under rebuild is difficult but can be done. I plumbed gray water out of the boat so I could use the sinks and showers but did not modify black water plumbing or storage. Too much trouble for a once or twice a day occurrence.

Here on the Columbia River are finding living aboard boats NOT under repair even more difficult as the various environmental agencies of Oregon and Washington are trying with all their might to shut down livaboard marinas. Finding a slip for this activity is extremely difficult with waiting lists of over a year.

Good luck finding an accomodating yard.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 10:24   #38
Marine Service Provider

It's getting to be that a lot of haulout yards don't allow individuals to paint their own boat bottom anymore. I'm told it is for environmental reasons, but I think it's more likely $$$ reasons...

With bottom paint now at $200/gallon plus, plus someone else's labor, it puts a serious dent in the cruising kitty.

One tip....beg, borrow or rent a high pressure washer to clean the bottom prior to painting...not your walmart variety....I'm talking industrial sized.....haulout yards like to do this themselves too, but usually aim for the quick and easy route... and end up doing a shitty job...even so, figure on doing a day's worth of scraping yourself....

Definitely, check out the haulout place first to see what you can....and cannot do on your own....
Old 17-08-2020, 16:16   #39

Boat: Cooper 416

I’m on the Fraser River living aboard. I saw mention of Shelter Island, that would be a reasonable choice. Their rates are on their website, and there are a number of contractors there if you need assistance with something. They have washrooms with showers, a marine store, coffee shop and pub. If you want to get a little off the beaten track you could try Jacks Marina in Lund BC near Desolation Sound. They advertise DIY’ers are welcome. I had my boat at Race Rocks marina at one time, you used to be able to work on it, but not sure how they take to living aboard. Other than that, there are not a lot of places that allow working and living aboard on the hard. Good luck
dleathem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 16:27   #40
Marine Service Provider

if there was ever an area that qualified as the most stunningly beautiful and friendly part of the world...it has to be BC and Vancouver Island.....mesmerizing area......I don't know that I could survive a winter there, but would almost be willing to give it a try...
Old 20-11-2020, 13:33   #41

Boat: 1964 Bill O'Brien Bobcat 27'

I lived aboard at Shelter over the winter five years ago. I might just be doing it again here pretty soon. All depends if I can get another set of hands to help with the painting and sanding and light fiberglass work that needs to be done to give my 27' catamaran some much needed tlc after five years on the water.
SolarCatamaran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, on the hard