Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 17:59   #61

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Liveaboard Nowhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
...if you worry....you'll die...
...if you don't worry.....you will still die...

so why worry ???

Mic,

The 'why' of your 'so why worry' is exactly the challenge. 'Why' is a mental block. 'Why' is a trap.

We tend to believe (due to mis-education) that everything has an explanation. And when we get the explanation, we find a solution, and then BANG we stop having the 'problem'! We stop worrying.

Not so.

Actually. Worrying is part of the human thing. Just like happiness, sorrow is not a result, but much rather an innate ability.

I will put it another way too:
- Why worry?
- Because we are human.

A tree stump does not worry, a rock does not worry. A human does.

It is good news.

Think about it a moment.

Now. Some of us worry a lot (worryiors). Others worry very little (happygolucky). It is probable that such a span of something intrinsic and innate is good for our overall survival, as a species.

So. I say: WORRY to your heart's content!

Cry, then stop crying, then see the sun, and smile.

Worry when something worries you. Laugh when something amazes you. Feel. Be complete. Be yourself. This is human.

So I say it is OK to worry.

PS In Spain, where we elected to live, they have a fine saying along the lines of "Ocupate pero no te preocupes". I believe this would be something like "Worry, but do not over-worry". I like Spain, and not just for the way they worry!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:42   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

ah, Spain....seeing as you appear to be an oldtimer on this forum, I was going to enlist your help to track down my old boat's whereabouts, but you would need to be in the USA for that....bummer....see....I no worry
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 19:40   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonali99 View Post
One thing that was missed in all this. How long did it take everybody to get the boat "just right" ?
That's a wonderful question! We bought new in 2005, and are still doing upgrades 15 years later. It's very nice, but just when we think it's perfect, we manage to dream up something new to change. I'm so glad we left the dock all those years ago, and have seen so much of the world. COVID-19 aside, the world is a very big and interesting place and it's hard to see it all if you explore it in depth. We shoulda left earlier!
Old 23-06-2020, 19:48   #64

Quote:
ah, Spain....seeing as you appear to be an oldtimer on this forum, I was going to enlist your help to track down my old boat's whereabouts, but you would need to be in the USA for that....bummer....see....I no worry

Mic,

Have you tried posting a thread on this? There are plenty of US members here and some from the very beginning of the forum!

Do try. You may find her.

What boat did yo have?

barnakiel
Old 23-06-2020, 20:35   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
I have kept liveaboard sailing like a carrot in front of me for years (10). Now with CoVid in front of us, the world is on fire. So are my dreams, I think?

Like so many, I just got a severance for October 1, 2020. Shortly, I'll be out of a job, in a HELLA job market/ Great Depression 2.0. I'm 58. I think I just retired, and didn't know it.

I've got easy money for the sailboat, and YES!... I'll be sensible and not buy too much boat. I like a Bristol 35 to 41. (Liveaboard). That takes me anywhere.

((BUT...)) I have very little coming in, short of whatever I can piece together (like everyone else!), plus some savings, until (4 years) I can get Social Security. *Ahem... if that lives through what's coming economically...

MY LIFE HAS BEEN SO HARD!!! I'm burnt to the core... and I mean that (personally), not so much professionally. I need (something) good in my life.
Like... >anything<. I worked hard, I sucked it up, was patient, did all the right things in a terribly harsh environment, but have almost no sense of belonging.
I get what work is. I know how to do that. ... and how to fix ANYTHING... I am extraordinarily resourceful. A true survivor type.

October... to buy, or wait for what comes next? By next May, the housing market will be in full collapse, and I imagine sailboat prices will be at rock-bottom.
Very tired of just surviving.. for what I've been through, I need to thrive a little bit. I have to figure out what to do for about 6 months (after October), while I wait for the coming collapse.

Again, October - east coast hard weather window, if not hurricane season/ that timing sucks. West coast maybe? PNW? All the Bristols are on the (east) coast...
and THAT sucks.
With every country being shut down, is sailing just broken like everything else?
*All done* not worth doing anymore? Any cool places to sail along the U.S.?
My goal has always been that beautiful clear blue water you see on every Calendar,,,, and now more than ever, a sense of belonging/ community...
I've read many good things about sailors/ sailing/ marina communities.

A bit of a rant... can you blame me?

How is the liveaboard life panning-out effective 06/12/2020?
Are folks feeling trapped in their boats?

If the world is on fire, and Great Depression 2.0 is just around the corner....
at 58, why not do it anyway? WTF? I don't want to "survive" a Great Depression, just to die without ever having lived.

Thanks for being patient with the broken hearted. Your opinions are valued, and thanks in advance. Sorry for ranting.
Bill

I'm not doing the sailing live aboard - but, I am living aboard a motor sailer having brought it on the net whilst in Australia. I went to the UK last Nov and started preparing the boat (boat was in UK) and my admin for several years based in France - I arrived in France at 10 am - the borders closed at 12 pm 17 March. I was locked up in Calais as was everyone - and got out about 2 weeks back. ATM am having coffee at just after first light on a canal heading towards Paris - which I will drive through without stopping - my destination is Migennes to very slowly move south on the Canal de Bourgogne - on which I plan to spend several months. The only plan is to get a bit of south for the next winter. The costs are very cheap. You don't burn a lot of diesel poking along at 6 to 8 kilometers per hour and atm - 98% of my power comes from solar (and, I expect many times to stop for weeks or months at a time). In winter, - I might hole up in a Marina - the costs are quiet cheap for longer stays and when they come with power - then, you don't use any fuel at all bar just an engine start for maint purposes etc. - I might find somewhere that has free power - they do exist here. ------------ I would not let cost knock out any dreams. ------------------- life here is tough - but, someone's got to do it -- I have to say that it's bloody exhausting - 11 locks yesterday - then 6 today to get me to the longest tunnel in France - about 5 kilometres - which I have booked for the day after - hence the rush - it's all go here
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 06:54   #66
Marine Service Provider

Barnakiel, This is likely a thread drift, but I'm going to throw this out there anyway and hope for the best..

There was a poster on this forum a while back called "Rusty Pirate". I discovered that he had bought my old boat, a steel Roberts 38, and was doing some work to it, as he was planning to take it to Antartica. He would have been the 3rd owner. He bought the boat from the people that bought it from me. He posted several threads on this forum, having renamed the boat "Hagane", which I believe is a Japanese word for " steel". His postings contained many photo's of his re-building effort, which I recognized instantly as being my old boat.

Then he disappeared from sight. My daughter, who is good at this type of thing, actually tracked the approximate location of the boat down in a roundabout kind of way, through the original's boat's registration numbers.....and...I think thru' Facebook. This how I came to be on this cruising forum in the first place, as my daughter found the " Rusty Pirate" thread here.

The boat is now somewhere in the Sarasota, Florida area in a yard somewhere, although I don't know where. We thought we had an address for "Rusty Pirate" and I fired off a letter to him, in the hopes of connecting with him, but there was never a response.

As you appear to be an old timer on this forum, perhaps you can shed some light on the possible whereabouts of "Rusty Pirate" or the location of his rebuild effort or any other clue that may point me in the right direction. It's not my intent to intrude on anyone's privacy here, and if that is the case, I will leave it at that.

I did post a thread on trying to locate this boat, but never received any responses.

It would be a nice walk down memory lane for me. I have added a pic of my old boat to see if anyone may recognize it. I've also added a pic showing where the boat is now, if anyone can recognize this place from the trees in the background, that would be helpful. I do know that the stern of the boat is now painted yellow.

Again, realizing that this is a thread drift, my apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (3) copy.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	218022   Click image for larger version

Name:	23331143366_05e24c2cbf_c.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	218023  

Old 24-06-2020, 07:46   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
1) The world isn't on fire. This isn't an extinction event, not even close. Things are temporarily in limbo as we learn about the situation and at some point we'll have a grasp on the real science behind the issue and come to a workable system.

2) Even in the Great Depression people lived. We look back at it from a historical view point, with a focus on the numbers and the bad news. I've read my grandfather's write up on his life, he moved his family, opened a business, etc etc. Basically his life continued even through the challenges.

3)If you buy now you'll be spending a good portion of a year learning your boat, doing day/weekend sails to find out how you want to set things up, and then doing the work on setting things up. By the end of that period things maybe more stable on what international travel will look like.

4)Being able to go out to my boat at the end of each work day and get away from the news, people etc is what has saved my sanity through this. I just spent the most peaceful weekend anchored out, no Covid to deal with, nobody saying do this or do that or you'll die. The sunsets and the fish don't care about Covid.

5)If it gets sooo bad that the social safety nets go away (ie social security) then a lot of the work rules are going to go away as well. They (the .gov) will have a lot less control and a lot of social unrest issues to deal with. There will be less oversight on work rules (such as in foreign countries) that a person that can adapt will be able to find work.

Wonderfully written... great thought process.
I was belly-aching (loudly). Knowing something good happens at the end of your day helps me... In some sense, I've already made the grade/ reached a personal finish line: I fought, and I won. I reeled a little bit when the company that bought us a year ago walked in and axed everyone. I signed a severance agreement (Oct. 1st, Jan 1st, or a two week notice at their discretion). Highly cognizant that no money will be coming in after that...
so throw some thoughts my way// "timing".
Tour U.S. after (presumably?) October, finding a boat (still taking suggestions)// (Bristol has missing needs/ doghouse/ hard sun cover).
Want watermaker/ scuba compressor.
I'll take sailing certification course: x2, maybe even all 5, before I make the leap/ just to be 100% sure. I've seen that I can BUY a slip, and reduce costs????? Gets me a (rentable?) home port/ or just costs money for nothing? Where are the better east coast slips I should be looking at? Or is October good enough to get out of Dodge... (just GO!) or do the seasonal winds toward Caribbean have to be timed around February? common cycle folks adhere to?

Boat will be paid for/ upgrades made... best/ cheap-er refit shops?

35? 40? 45? footer?

I understand cost per foot, but have viewed countless pictures of 35's with the forward birth used as a stuffed-full storage unit.

comfort lands me 40 to 45?
*I'm hugely handy.

(maybe) the kids visit, (maybe) I find romance?

Thanks!
Bill
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 07:53   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well. Not much more doomed than anybody else.

My attitude for now is: sit on your arse, take NO action. Wait for the mess to clarify.

If in job: stick to the job, build up kitty. Chop off all extra costs.

If off job, hunker down, study, build another skill, read a good book, drink beer and smile a lot. HELP OTHERS, who may be worse off. FIX SOMETHING. Love somebody. LIVE.

Protect your energy, do not wave your hands aimlessly. Max out your here and now. And wait.

I bet 2021 things will look much neater. The only challenge being to be still around and afloat then.

b.

You and I would get along...
sage advice.
It was a bad day/ got laid off, signed severance, will (maybe) terminate in October... so time to prepare, money available. I'll take sailing certification courses just to be sure before I leap, then buy a very solid boat outright.

I can buy a slip... keeping with shoestring philosophy... good idea or bad? Being an utter nomad seems stressful, and maybe even costly?

Thanks!
Bill
Old 24-06-2020, 08:01   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Mic,

The 'why' of your 'so why worry' is exactly the challenge. 'Why' is a mental block. 'Why' is a trap.

We tend to believe (due to mis-education) that everything has an explanation. And when we get the explanation, we find a solution, and then BANG we stop having the 'problem'! We stop worrying.

Not so.

Actually. Worrying is part of the human thing. Just like happiness, sorrow is not a result, but much rather an innate ability.

I will put it another way too:
- Why worry?
- Because we are human.

A tree stump does not worry, a rock does not worry. A human does.

It is good news.

Think about it a moment.

Now. Some of us worry a lot (worryiors). Others worry very little (happygolucky). It is probable that such a span of something intrinsic and innate is good for our overall survival, as a species.

So. I say: WORRY to your heart's content!

Cry, then stop crying, then see the sun, and smile.

Worry when something worries you. Laugh when something amazes you. Feel. Be complete. Be yourself. This is human.

So I say it is OK to worry.

PS In Spain, where we elected to live, they have a fine saying along the lines of "Ocupate pero no te preocupes". I believe this would be something like "Worry, but do not over-worry". I like Spain, and not just for the way they worry!

b.

So nicely said!!!
You and I would get along... I tend to be very philosophical. Did you know that people have a happiness "set point"? It can be altered, but that takes in a balanced life. I had been upset to the core/ having a deep inner string get plucked pretty hard (laid off). I'm good, thinking about the timing (October) and how to manage:

Purchase
Short refit
Slip purchase???? smart or just costly and dumb)???
What October means to a sailor on the East Coast?

Thanks!
Bill... "the big monkey".
Old 24-06-2020, 08:53   #70

I believe October on the East (US) Coast means you are already down the whole ICW or at least as far South as you can quickly move South when ice grasps the Northern parts.

Assumed the boat is fit, I would find a place where I could anchor long term - a place with easy access to the shore by dinghy.

I am not into slips and berths as avoiding slip and berthing costs was part of my way to go 'everywhere' at a very reasonable cost. A slip is comfort, we get used to one quickly, and it adds up month on month - making the kitty empty in the spring. Exactly when one would like to go cruising.

So, me I would go below the ice line and I would anchor off.

I would also look for a rich and lovable widow and make friends with one - some things are not easy when anchored off and people with access to (washing machine / shower / etc) and with good warm heart are the salt of the cruising earth.

barnakiel
Old 24-06-2020, 08:57   #71

Quote:

The boat is now somewhere in the Sarasota, Florida area in a yard somewhere, although I don't know where. We thought we had an address for "Rusty Pirate" and I fired off a letter to him, in the hopes of connecting with him, but there was never a response.

How many docks or boatyards are there in Sarasota? Any friends / relatives there?

How far are you from Sarasota? Too far to fly there for a weekend and roam?

b.
Old 24-06-2020, 09:14   #72
Marine Service Provider

I am in the NE Florida area, and had thought about driving down there and going from boatyard to boatyard...I have researched all the boatyards in the area and there are quite a few. Once down there, it is likely someone will point me in the right direction.
Old 24-06-2020, 17:53   #73

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasail View Post
I have kept liveaboard sailing like a carrot in front of me for years (10). Now with CoVid in front of us, the world is on fire. So are my dreams, I think?

Like so many, I just got a severance for October 1, 2020. Shortly, I'll be out of a job, in a HELLA job market/ Great Depression 2.0. I'm 58. I think I just retired, and didn't know it.

I've got easy money for the sailboat, and YES!... I'll be sensible and not buy too much boat. I like a Bristol 35 to 41. (Liveaboard). That takes me anywhere.

((BUT...)) I have very little coming in, short of whatever I can piece together (like everyone else!), plus some savings, until (4 years) I can get Social Security. *Ahem... if that lives through what's coming economically...

MY LIFE HAS BEEN SO HARD!!! I'm burnt to the core... and I mean that (personally), not so much professionally. I need (something) good in my life.
Like... >anything<. I worked hard, I sucked it up, was patient, did all the right things in a terribly harsh environment, but have almost no sense of belonging.
I get what work is. I know how to do that. ... and how to fix ANYTHING... I am extraordinarily resourceful. A true survivor type.

October... to buy, or wait for what comes next? By next May, the housing market will be in full collapse, and I imagine sailboat prices will be at rock-bottom.
Very tired of just surviving.. for what I've been through, I need to thrive a little bit. I have to figure out what to do for about 6 months (after October), while I wait for the coming collapse.

Again, October - east coast hard weather window, if not hurricane season/ that timing sucks. West coast maybe? PNW? All the Bristols are on the (east) coast...
and THAT sucks.
With every country being shut down, is sailing just broken like everything else?
*All done* not worth doing anymore? Any cool places to sail along the U.S.?
My goal has always been that beautiful clear blue water you see on every Calendar,,,, and now more than ever, a sense of belonging/ community...
I've read many good things about sailors/ sailing/ marina communities.

A bit of a rant... can you blame me?

How is the liveaboard life panning-out effective 06/12/2020?
Are folks feeling trapped in their boats?

If the world is on fire, and Great Depression 2.0 is just around the corner....
at 58, why not do it anyway? WTF? I don't want to "survive" a Great Depression, just to die without ever having lived.

Thanks for being patient with the broken hearted. Your opinions are valued, and thanks in advance. Sorry for ranting.
Bill
Go ahead get this boat, don't worry too much about doom and gloom.
You are your worst own enemy by the sounds of it.
Boats are a commitment and can provide an excellent lifestyle, keep things simple and workable.
The more junk you instal the more you will have to maintain.
Life is great!

Best of luck
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 00:07   #74

Hey hang in there please all will be ok. Bristols are good boats. Go for the 40 you won’t regret it. Scott
ScottandMonique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 12:04   #75

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

We don't live forever. You have a dream and the calendar keep turning. Sell the house and get your boat.
On the east coast, many live aboards go south for the winter then head north to the Chesapeake, Lake Champlain, and the Great lakes before the start of the hurricane season. During the cold months, the sail people often head to the Banamas or a couple of the friendlier South American countries while those with the trawlers more commonly stay in the Florida or northern Bahamas areas.

The ICW has many places to make the fall and spring trips a leisurely enjoyable month long cruise or you could cruise on the outside and make the trip in much less time.

Sailboats move free while trawlers use fuel. When the sails need replacing, it seems to even out unless you're crossing oceans then you're way ahead with sails.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard