Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 03:36   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Liveaboard Nowhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
Also, OP, I fully recommend a Junk Rig if you have the chance to buy one, they're pretty rare, but for a cruising single handed sailor they have many advantages such as quick reefing, no hard gybing, and being able to do everything without leaving the cockpit. Wooden masts may seem like high maintenance, but that is not really the case in the long run when compared to the costs of standing rigging.

The book Practical Junk Rig can fill you in further on it if you want to know more, as well as containing everything you need to know about making a conversion, although that might be a bit of an ambitious project for your requirements. Anyway, I thought I would present it as an option.
Sounds like he is new to sailing. Talking rigs etc at this point might be a stretch plus many will argue there are other rigs where you don't leave the cockpit.

I can furl my jib from the cockpit and that's it. Everything else requires going to the mast but the mast isn't that far away and the hand holds are good.

Reefing can be a job though working both ends
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 03:59   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Sounds like he is new to sailing. Talking rigs etc at this point might be a stretch plus many will argue there are other rigs where you don't leave the cockpit.

I can furl my jib from the cockpit and that's it. Everything else requires going to the mast but the mast isn't that far away and the hand holds are good.

Reefing can be a job though working both ends
I considered that, but then thought that there would be no difference to which rig he learns. I don't think there is a real debate on a junk rig being easier to handle, as doing so for a bermudian rig requires expensive equipment with the potential for expensive failures that can happen during the worst possible time - mast furling, electric winches etc. I don't think this thread is the place for that debate, and I have experience with both rigs so I feel that my advice is valuable.
Old 14-06-2020, 04:06   #18

Quote:
I considered that, but then thought that there would be no difference to which rig he learns. I don't think there is a real debate on a junk rig being easier to handle, as doing so for a bermudian rig requires expensive equipment with the potential for expensive failures that can happen during the worst possible time - mast furling, electric winches etc. I don't think this thread is the place for that debate, and I have experience with both rigs so I feel that my advice is valuable.
It may be but many that want to be liveaboards do just that live aboard.

The boat becomes covered with all kinds of stuff, and if the person owns a vehicle, it is usually packed to the gills also

At least the OP didn't say he was going to buy a boat and sail around the world

And speaking of stuff on board, my 16'6" kayak takes up one whole side deck on my boat so in really bad conditions I have to tack before I reef if the kayak is on the high side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02116.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	217315  
Old 14-06-2020, 05:10   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It may be but many that want to be liveaboards do just that live aboard.

The boat becomes covered with all kinds of stuff, and if the person owns a vehicle, it is usually packed to the gills also

At least the OP didn't say he was going to buy a boat and sail around the world

And speaking of stuff on board, my 16'6" kayak takes up one whole side deck on my boat so in really bad conditions I have to tack before I reef if the kayak is on the high side
Yea, true, I guess I forget that many people don't want to sail the world. Anyway, I do recommend reading Practical Junk Rig, it is possible to find an ebook of it for free online now. We also have a kayak of a similar size, but fortunately it's inflatable. Though my eventual plan is to build a two part dinghy capable of sailing.
Old 14-06-2020, 05:57   #20

BTW, there's a guy here that is selling his Westsail 32. I just got a text about it.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll get more info. I believe the price is near $20K. The boat is in great condition

He's a CF Member also

A Westsail 32 can be a liveaboard boat AND a sail round the world boat!
Old 14-06-2020, 11:01   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Built , lived aboard, and cruised a W32. They are a lot more boat than the 32' length would intimate. Displacement is north of 20,000# and o/a length with self steering vane is approaching 42'. That o/a length can get expensive in a marina that bills by o/a length as most do. They have the storage capacity of a much larger boat that enabled us to cruise for more than 6 months without needing to restock. They are not good light air sailing boats but will eat up other boats of similar water line in trade wind sailings which is what cruising is all about. For two of us, had no problem living aboard our W32.

Here's a Bristol that is tantalysingly close to Mexico cruising. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...141081564.html
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 13:30   #22

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Here's a Bristol that is tantalysingly close to Mexico cruising. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...141081564.html
Nice looking. New sails/cushions, electronics, etc. I am always amused by ads that state costs of maintenance as an "investment". New bottom paint 4 years ago, engine filters and impeller change $1200... Looks like they have not quite maintained the brightwork since it was redone.

Maybe of more interest to me since I own a sistership and am always looking at details and what others have done on their boats, but look where the fuel filters were located- way behind the engine. That is not an easy place for access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B355 fuel filter location.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	217346  
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 16:10   #23

Quote:
Also, OP, I fully recommend a Junk Rig if you have the chance to buy one, they're pretty rare, but for a cruising single handed sailor they have many advantages such as quick reefing, no hard gybing, and being able to do everything without leaving the cockpit. Wooden masts may seem like high maintenance, but that is not really the case in the long run when compared to the costs of standing rigging.

The book Practical Junk Rig can fill you in further on it if you want to know more, as well as containing everything you need to know about making a conversion, although that might be a bit of an ambitious project for your requirements. Anyway, I thought I would present it as an option.

Interesting, I might have to read a little more about junk rigs for a cruiser boat. I looked into that type of sail for a canoe I wanted to turn into a sailing canoe, I sure like the simplicity.
burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 16:22   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
Interesting, I might have to read a little more about junk rigs for a cruiser boat. I looked into that type of sail for a canoe I wanted to turn into a sailing canoe, I sure like the simplicity.
Yea, the design is certainly scalable. Here's a Junk Rigged outrigger canoe. I wouldn't mind such a thing as a tender. The rigging is easy and cheap.
Old 14-06-2020, 16:30   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There is a guy in my anchorage close to your age that's a diver. He's been eating noodles with ketchup the last 3 months. He sold his engine to do hurricane Irma repairs.
Old 14-06-2020, 16:50   #26

Quote:
Yea, the design is certainly scalable. Here's a Junk Rigged outrigger canoe. I wouldn't mind such a thing as a tender. The rigging is easy and cheap.

Thats a really nice setup, and it would make a nice tender. Probably moves pretty good on the water too!
Old 14-06-2020, 17:01   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonridr View Post
Thats a really nice setup, and it would make a nice tender. Probably moves pretty good on the water too!
That is an interesting rig for sure, but as a tender, well, I don't think it is such a good idea. The purpose of a tender is to carry people and gear from boat to shore and vice versa. Just how does one get, say, 5 20 liter jugs from tender to the boat when those pesky outriggers are in the way? And w here did you put them in that slender (but pretty) hull?

As a water toy or a daysailor from the beach, yowsa! As a practical tender, not so much in my opinion. And none of the above has anything to do with the junk rig.

Jim
Old 14-06-2020, 17:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That is an interesting rig for sure, but as a tender, well, I don't think it is such a good idea. The purpose of a tender is to carry people and gear from boat to shore and vice versa. Just how does one get, say, 5 20 liter jugs from tender to the boat when those pesky outriggers are in the way? And w here did you put them in that slender (but pretty) hull?

As a water toy or a daysailor from the beach, yowsa! As a practical tender, not so much in my opinion. And none of the above has anything to do with the junk rig.

Jim

All good points
Old 14-06-2020, 20:49   #29

Boat: EDELCAT33

Quote:

That looks like a Gary Dierken Waapa
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2020, 22:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Yea, I planned to make it as a two part build, which bolts together for storage on the coach roof. But have also since decided it would be impractical. I now am just considering a normal two part solid tender with this rig, because of the reasons you stated, and because of the reduced space it would need for stowage on deck. The design in the pic is nice though, and I thought it was worth sharing, for that, and as an example of the scalability of the rig.

Tags
liveaboard