Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2017, 11:20   #16

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Liveaboard mono with no v-berth?

I am tall like you, (6'6") so make sure you get a boat with enough headroom. I ducked for years on my previous boats and have the head scars to prove it. Not worth it. Our Downeaster has 6'7" headroom and a 7' V birth so very roomy. Boats in your price range can be found with the head and legroom you need.

Good luck on your boat search!

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 13:53   #17

Boat: 1980 Aloha 34

I have an Aloha 34 and it is a great boat. The alohas have tons of headroom for their LOA. I would get the vberth workshop version if I was primarily sailing as a couple. I’m 6 foot 1” and I find it difficult to get in and out of the raised vberth esp if someone else in there. To get up in the middle of night to check on things or bathroom break is a real ordeal. So my wife and I generally snuggle on the settee bed and then she sleeps on the bunk across from it afterwards. The vberth is used for storage but gets chaotic. If I had the workshop/storage option I think things would be better organized.

Lastly lots of ventilation on alohas with multiple hatched and 8 opening portlights so don’t worry about getting hot if not in vberth.
BionicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 19:22   #18

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Hi all, I'm looking for my first boatsome good cruising kit for a good price but it doesn't have a v-berth.

I'm a 35 yo male that would like to find a female partner to sail/liveaboard with. This boat would have two settees and a large quarter berth only. Is it worth considering?

Thanks
One issue has not been mentioned (I believe} is claustrophobia,this may sound unusual and seldom talked about,so here is my take.
I did not know how uncomfortable small confined spaces are to me,just think about having that ceiling right on top of you,as long as I could keep the hatch open was fine,however on bad weather I needed to move to the main salon.
Something to think about.
Good luck
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 20:22   #19

Your problem is that many on this board are of the age where they would see a bikini clad woman in a workshop and think - "Nice workshop"

That said, a v-berth is rarely a great playpen - unless you find a particularly creative woman and the forward hatch is located in just the right place.

CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 20:51   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Thanks for the comments so far.

Mark Ellis designed both the Nonsuch 30 and the Aloha 32. Not looking for a cat boat though.

To Dave22q's point, I am 6'3 so looking for a boat with 6'4 headroom as well. I don't want to turn this into another "what boat should I buy thread."

Just wondering how important having a v-berth is for a youngish couple. After you know each other a while you can sleep separate. If you want to invite someone into your life, and boat, the accommodation might be more important even if it doesnt get used later on.
Hello, LLDave,

We prefer aft cockpits because that is where we want to sail from. The center vs. aft cockpit discussions in earlier threads will illuminate both points of view. That pretty much leaves the V-berth as the only two-at-a-time option.

Usually the taller one gets the lion's share of the toe room. Only speaking for myself, I do not want to give up my cuddling opportunities. It is not that you can't make love on the settee--of course one can, and even in some quarter berths, but the most space is in the V-berth. Therefore, you are going to want to pay particular attention to the tape measure, to see that you get a boat that will fit you asleep. It's a little easier if you happen to curl up to sleep, but lots of us like to sprawl, especially when it's hot. And the forepeak is the best ventilated part of the boat. Pullman berths can be well ventilated, but often are not. Windscoops for hatches help at anchor. Fans for the rest of the time.

To answer the question directly: the v-berth is VERY important--at least, to me.

You require a decent lot of headroom, too. Really, the tape measure is your friend here. And good luck with your search.

Ann
Old 24-11-2017, 22:47   #21

Boat: Volkscruiser

The wife and I have lived and cruised on three yachts all under 30 feet and have always slept in the V-berth. We were only 20 when we started and could not imagine sleeping in seperate berths. As long as there is an opening hatch above us with a mosquito screen we have always been happy. Even in a Folkboat V-berth.
Ann is right about using the tape measure. A friend of ours lowered his V-berth as he was sick of his backside hitting the deck while having a cuddle!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:24   #22

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Nits: What's this "cuddle" business? Context seems to suggest something more active than cuddling. (Cuddling on our boat is usually related to being cold; any more - shall we say - adventurous stuff has a different name aboard Flying Pig!) Aren't we adult yet? And consenting?

FWIW, our Vee (which we don't use, as we have a much larger aft berth) is an equilateral triangle of 7' on a side (with the biscuit in). Lets you sleep in any orientation equally to suit passage heel or wave action. It's what the guests get.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:43   #23

Boat: Stevens 47

Look at a Cheoy Lee Offshore 38. It's an aft cockpit boat with an aft cabin. The aft cabin has port and stbd quarter berths, but the stbd one is wide enough to sleep two. They are both great sea berths. I'm pretty sure you can find one in your price range, tho it will need some work.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 07:43   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Your problem is that many on this board are of the age where they would see a bikini clad woman in a workshop and think - "Nice workshop"
:

Sounds like death to me, I’m not dead yet
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 10:20   #25

Boat: Grampian 26

For what it is worth: My wife and I cruise in an old Grampian 26. There is a 6 foot plus V-berth just aft of the anchor locker. It takes queen sheets but narrows considerably towards the bow. Our other sleeping option is converting the dinette into a very small double. There is one quarter berth on the starboard side.

I also cruise with a friend with a Nonsuch 30 classic. There are two quarter berths and after that you have to sleep in the main cabin. It works for a couple of bachelors.

Back to the Grampian, getting up in the middle of the night (we are 70s), without disturbing your partner is just about impossible. That said it is important to our relationship to sleep together. The occasional foot in the face yoga can be forgiven.

I like the fact that the bed is there, made up or not, out of the way, out of sight (if we flip over the handing locker door) but it is a space we can lie down in at any time.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 13:41   #26

Boat: CLC Skerry

You might want to look at an S2 11-meter with an aft cabin. Lots of living space with aft double berth and V-berth too.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 03:25   #27

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubstuff View Post
You might want to look at an S2 11-meter with an aft cabin. Lots of living space with aft double berth and V-berth too.
That's one of the S2s I suggested. It didn't quite meet my/our needs, but it may well be a good answer for you...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 06:16   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found vee berths to be the most uncomfortable sleeping quarters ever.
i am happy my boat has no vee-- it does have a proper forepeak instead, wherein no one sleeps. the sleeping quarters in my boat are aft of the forepeak, over the turn of the keel. much more stable and no pounding sounds from seas slamming bows.
pullman in bows is better layout than vee in bows. much easier to enter and exit the berth, which could be important under specific circumstances, such as dragging anchor or other emergencies.
i had an olympian 34 with a 7+ ft X 7+ ft vee berth--- was still difficult to enter and exit.

one need remember the crew slept and lived in the forepeak of ships, the most uncomfortable place on the planet.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:28   #29

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Quote:
I'm a 35 yo male that would like to find a female partner to sail/liveaboard with. This boat would have two settees and a large quarter berth only. Is it worth considering?
Lots of good input here... but mainly from established couples commenting on what is practical for an established couple.

Let me offer an alternative view:

If you are single, focus on being comfortable. On your own, that is. Get the boat that has the best speed, or workshop, or jet ski garage, or whatever YOU like. There should be no need to care about some hypothetical future partner.

If it should happen that a female visit the boat, I would think the last thing she'd wish to see is a ready-made perfect snuggle space. That's just ... uh... a bit contrived. Artificial. Not good.

Be a man. Be yourself.

If passions should arise while sipping a glass of wine with a woman... moon full, stars clear ... Then you shall improvise.

If there is a will, there is a way. Women love what is improvised... far more than what is planned.

Any perfect fittings or decorations for a couple can come later. It might then be time to change to another boat anyway. Perhaps you have also by then had other ideas about many other details. And, heaven forbid, the female might even have opinions.

Be a man. Make no excuses. Get the boat YOU want.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 10:06   #30
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

^^ this ^^
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard