Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
Liveaboard Marinas Near Tampa

Greetings all! I may have the opportunity to move from dreary Ohio to Tampa. Currently in the interview process for a job down there. I was just wondering if people had recommendations for a marina with a decent liveaboard community. I don't need a super fancy place, just a nice place with the basics is fine. I am trying to keep costs down.

I've been poking around ActiveCaptain, but figured if anybody had firsthand experience that would be good.

Thanks ahead of time!

Chris
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:49   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Liveaboard marinas near Tampa

There are a number of marinas in the Tampa Bay area that will permit live-aboards that are not unduly expensive. Tampa Bay is, however, a reasonably large area so where you might be working verses where you'd like to live is relevant to any suggestion.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Regatta Pointe and Twin Dolphin on the Manatee River are nice.... BUT unless you use your boat to commute, they are a PITA to get to Tampa as Tampa Bay is between the two geographically
Old 11-01-2012, 09:16   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We live aboard at Twin Dolphins, and if you are working in downtown or northern Tampa area, then it is quite a hike.
Last time we were here a few years ago, we moved to Clearwater at Barefoot Bay Resort to get closer for Diana's commute. This was very basic and parking on Clearwater Beach was a pain.
We then went to Anclote Harbor Marina in Tarpon Springs which is closer to the north side of Tampa.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29   #5

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

St. Petersburg Municipal Marina is great for liveaboards. It would be a 30-45 minute drive to downtown Tampa, depending on the time of day. The facilities are very good including laundry, showers, and a captains lounge. Vinoy Park and the Pier are on the same property. Downtown St. Pete is just across the street. There are resturants, clubs, gyms, banking, groceries, and parks within walking distance.

I pay $505 for a liveaboard slip for boats under 34'. Larger slips are about $100 more up to 45 feet, I believe. Check it out if you get the job.

Good Luck,

David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderluster View Post
St. Petersburg Municipal Marina is great for liveaboards. It would be a 30-45 minute drive to downtown Tampa, depending on the time of day.
At a minimum you would have to double that during rush hour (and pray there aren't any accidents on any of the bridges--triple it on days that there are).

To the OP, I would suggest you narrow down where you are going to work, and how much of a commute you are willing to tolerate. That will have a large impact on what marinas might be acceptable to you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to cbtucker
Thanks to all for the replies! I knew I would get a lot of good information. The job I'm currently interviewing for looks like it will be downtown so I guess I would have to put up commute time if I go with St Pete Municipal. But the community there does seem very friendly as I've gotten a couple nice emails from those folks.
cbtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28   #8
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtucker View Post
Greetings all! I may have the opportunity to move from dreary Ohio to Tampa. Currently in the interview process for a job down there. I was just wondering if people had recommendations for a marina with a decent liveaboard community. I don't need a super fancy place, just a nice place with the basics is fine. I am trying to keep costs down.

I've been poking around ActiveCaptain, but figured if anybody had firsthand experience that would be good.

Thanks ahead of time!

Chris

Chris is right -- the Tampa Bay area is HUGE and you 'll want to narrow your geography down. But if you end up in the St. Petersburg one I have a great one for you. Be careful who you believe because there's a disgruntled guy running around the board trashing one place that's a really nice little marina because he didn't read his lease.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Regatta Pointe and Twin Dolphin on the Manatee River are nice.... BUT unless you use your boat to commute, they are a PITA to get to Tampa as Tampa Bay is between the two geographically

They are both nice, but at Regatta Pointe in particular you are likely to be very far from the marina's facilities, and it's a dollar each way to cross the Skyway Bridge. I wouldn't call them "in the Tampa Bay area."
Old 12-01-2012, 07:51   #10

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:
St. Petersburg Municipal Marina is great for liveaboards. It would be a 30-45 minute drive to downtown Tampa, depending on the time of day. The facilities are very good including laundry, showers, and a captains lounge. Vinoy Park and the Pier are on the same property. Downtown St. Pete is just across the street. There are resturants, clubs, gyms, banking, groceries, and parks within walking distance.

I pay $505 for a liveaboard slip for boats under 34'. Larger slips are about $100 more up to 45 feet, I believe. Check it out if you get the job.

Good Luck,

David
The last we checked there was a five year waiting list. Is there no longer a wait?
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
The last we checked there was a five year waiting list. Is there no longer a wait?

When was the last time you checked? Most marinas around here have space. However, most places also restrict the number of live-aboards. If St. Pete Marina is filled up, I know one about 15 minutes from there...
Old 13-01-2012, 01:19   #12

Boat: Marinette Rivercruiser 34' LOA 12 beam 28" draft
Re: Liveaboard Marinas Near Tampa

At least check out the marina in Dunedin just North of Clearwater, may be a little far for ya, but it's nice out there.
rsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 03:42   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimon View Post
At least check out the marina in Dunedin just North of Clearwater, may be a little far for ya, but it's nice out there.

This does not sound like a live-aboard marina:

" Occupancy rate is ninety five percent, and only Dunedin residents may rent permanent slips."
Old 13-01-2012, 06:34   #14

The St. Pete municipal marina does have some openings right now, but it depends on boat size, as well as liveaboard or not. In any case, there MAY not be a wait, depending on the particulars.

The Harborage is also a very nice marina that allows liveaboards, though the cost is a little higher. Harborage Marina | Tampa Bay Marinas | Marina St. Petersburg | 727 821-6347

I don't know of any specific marinas to suggest, but if you could find one in the area from Clearwater up to Tarpon Springs your commute would probably be noticeably shorter. And if you could find one in Gibsonton or Apollo Beach that would be even better.

Another thing to consider would be checking craigslist. I see a lot of private docks offered for rent for considerably less than any of the marinas (like, neighborhood of half the price). Now, I also have to say that most of them do not allow liveaboards, so this option might not actually work out, but if you could find one that did...

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 06:35   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:

Good Luck,

David
If you are considering St. Pete, in addition to the Muni Marina, the Harborage is a nice, well equipped, marina at relatively good rates. Closer to Tampa, you might try Marjorie Park Marina on Davis Island, fronting on Seddon Channel (N27°55.822' W0082°27.253')

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, marinas