Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 13:14   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Liveaboard marinas between Fort Lauderdale and Lake Worth.

In about 12-18 months I plan to move aboard my Morgan 462, so have started looking for a liveaboard-friendly marina, and get on their waiting list. Went by Lighthouse Point Marina yesterday, as they claim, on their website, to allow liveaboards, but it turns out to be untrue. The dockmaster claims that only a few of the much larger docks allow for liveaboard, at a correspondingly higher price, and much less availability. Grrrrr...

Does anyone know of a good liveaboard situation in the area I mentioned, not behind a private home? I would prefer somewhere that has facilities like a bath house, laundry, parking, is pet friendly, etc. Not in a rush, just starting to plan early. I have a great dock right now, just not for living aboard.

Regards,
David
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:20   #2

Re: Liveaboard marinas between Fort Lauderdale and Lake Worth.

That's a tough neighborhood to find something affordable--that is not a dump.

You didn't mention a budget... so you might try Suntex Marina in Hollywood. Nice place, and a bit pricey. I know it is south of Lauderdale, but not much... We have been there as transients, and found it very nice.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 13:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
That's a tough neighborhood to find something affordable--that is not a dump.

You didn't mention a budget... so you might try Suntex Marina in Hollywood. Nice place, and a bit pricey. I know it is south of Lauderdale, but not much... We have been there as transients, and found it very nice.
Suntex Hollywood looks nice, but a bit too far south for me - I work up in Boynton Beach, and I95 can be a bear that time of day :-(. Suntex has a facility in Lantana - their website doesn't say anything about liveaboards, but I just called and left a message.

Budget is probably going to be in the $1200-1500/month range - quite a bit more than I'm paying for my current non-liveaboard dock, but that is comes with the territory.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 30-04-2018, 10:50   #4
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Check out Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. We were just there, stayed one night only, but it was more than reasonable. Not sure if they have monthly rates.

City of Fort Lauderdale, FL : Las Olas Marina
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 11:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Check out Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale. We were just there, stayed one night only, but it was more than reasonable. Not sure if they have monthly rates.

Thanks! Can't find anything on their website about liveaboards, so just dropped them an email to get all the details.

I found a few places this weekend, all with pros and cons. Top of the list right now is Lighthouse Point Yacht Club, biggest cons being they are pricier and require membership, and are starting a major building project next summer - nothing like living in a construction zone! But their facilities are very nice, great people including other liveaboards, they welcome well-behaved pets, and the location is great for ocean access and weather protection.

-David
Old 01-05-2018, 12:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post

Las Olas Marina does allow full-time liveaboards. I just spoke with the marina manager, and he was quite helpful. Their prices are high though, and apparently they are about to be taken over by Suntex, and he expects rates to rise even further. They are pet friendly, have showers, toilets, laundry, a rec-room, etc. Each slip has a pump-out if needed, electricity is metered and water is included.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:41   #7

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Try just north of West Palm, City of Riviera Beach Marina
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Try just north of West Palm, City of Riviera Beach Marina
A little too far north for me, but thanks for the suggestion :-)

Tags
fort lauderdale, lake worth, liveaboard, marinas