Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 09:32   #16

Thank to all who replied. I will take your suggestions and get some books, articles, etc. I think she really doesn't mind the idea BUT would like to call home somewhere.

Thanks again.
Rick
Rickwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 10:24   #17

The way....

Rickwig,

Treat her as an equal!
Then, slowly introduce her to the possibilities of what might be. Get all the sailing / cruising DVDs (in my case it was VHS tapes) you can find and view them together.
Then agree what is important to each of you on a boat. NOT just what you think.
Once you get a boat, any boat, THAT YOU BOTH AGREE ON, START SLOWLY!
MANY cruises have come to a quick end because of a “rush” to get “out there” and wind up in bad weather with having the experience of a lot of good weather.

If you look at our web site, and see the article Good Old Boat did on us, you will see some words that Jill gave to the editor.

IT WORKS!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 12:16   #18

I am so burned out that I can't even think straight anymore. I just want to get on the boat and head somewhere, anywhere away from this rat race.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rick
Rickwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 19:53   #19

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Introduce her to other women who love the life (like me). Either via blogs, or at the boat shows, or visiting sailing towns if you're not already in one.
That way it looks "normal"...

good luck
(schoonerdog's wife, Cindy)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 21:27   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickwig View Post
I am so burned out that I can't even think straight anymore. I just want to get on the boat and head somewhere, anywhere away from this rat race.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rick
One cool thing about this site is there is no shortage of boating or personal advice.

The rat race is only a rat race if you let it be. Lot's of people I know wake up and wonder what the heck it's all about (hint - it's not about stuff).

You can't wave a magic wand and instantly get rid of the baggage that comes with the race but you can make a 3 or 5 year plan to rid yourself of all the baggage society has convinced you that you need.

You really have to convince the wife first and both of you team up to change things.

If you could free up $200 per month, in 2 years you could have a decent keelboat and $200 a month to play with it.

For $100 a month you could get a great dinghy and have lots of fun, although that isn't what you see going up and down the ICW...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 22:50   #21

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Rickwig,

Treat her as an equal!
Then, slowly introduce her to the possibilities of what might be. Get all the sailing / cruising DVDs (in my case it was VHS tapes) you can find and view them together.
Then agree what is important to each of you on a boat. NOT just what you think.
Once you get a boat, any boat, THAT YOU BOTH AGREE ON, START SLOWLY!
MANY cruises have come to a quick end because of a “rush” to get “out there” and wind up in bad weather with having the experience of a lot of good weather.

If you look at our web site, and see the article Good Old Boat did on us, you will see some words that Jill gave to the editor.

IT WORKS!

Greg
Greg: Im copying this over to the Better half thread..its a clasic..great picture!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 06:46   #22

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Want to put her at ease?

Have her read "An Embarrassment of Mangoes". It was on the best seller list last year, still ranked pretty high. Written by the wife element of a cruising couple, this is a very easy read written by a woman who had all the natural objections to leaving her safe and secure land-based life. She knew very little about sailing. No tales of rogue waves, pirate attacks or terrible injuries, just real life cruising in the islands. Very, very effective!!!!!
“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard