Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2021, 06:30   #16

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft
Re: Liveaboard in Baltimore in Winter

Hi. I have my boat at the inner harbor and have since 2013. Winters are relatively mild and electricity is stable and reliable (important for winter). There are relatively few marinas that allow liveaboards so make sure you have your reservation in order before you show up. Anchorage is probably the best marina for what you want to do. There is a West Marine close by and lots of places to eat and drink as well as a Safeway. There is one thing I must caution you about. The city changed very quickly this summer and I no longer consider it safe. It used to be and any glowing reports you heard about it are dated. I lived downtown (Harbor East) for 12 years and moved away this summer because the neighborhood became uncomfortable and unsafe. I will be moving my boat across the bay this fall when my lease is up. However if you liked living in the cities in the 70's then you will probably feel fine. Let me know if you need any local info.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:37   #17

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hey O'Brien,

Here's an excellent thread from December 2020 about cold weather sailing:

Tips for Long Term Winter Sailing
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-243260.html

As you can see from KelseyB's latest crew request, she made it down to Florida and is now prepping to make the passage back north soon.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77

P.S. Personally, I would avoid Baltimore... when I was there a couple of years ago looking at boats, I got the impression that it's a high crime city. Lots of nicer marinas and people across the bridge on the Western shore of Delaware in places like Rock Hall, DE - which I loved! (Please, All, This was only my personal impression... I mean no offense to people who are Baltimore-based.)

Accurate description and no offense taken. Rock Hall is a great place and and is a century away from Baltimore even the though the sail is roughly only 22 miles.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:03   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Hey O'Brien,

P.S. Personally, I would avoid Baltimore... when I was there a couple of years ago looking at boats, I got the impression that it's a high crime city. Lots of nicer marinas and people across the bridge on the Western shore of Delaware in places like Rock Hall, DE - which I loved! (Please, All, This was only my personal impression... I mean no offense to people who are Baltimore-based.)
Don't disagree B'more is a big city and like any big city you need to keep your wits about you when walking, otherwise you could be an easy target. Many like Anchorage Marina due to location, amenities and it's not too expensive.
fyi Rock Hall is in MD, not DE. IMO, not too much on the eastern shore of MD (which can be nice), but if you have to drive to work in DC or want amenities it can get old fast. If one can work from the boat or don't mind driving to get groceries, etc., there are many places on the eastern shore (Easton, St. Michaels, etc.) that are nice and have slips that are relatively cheaper than Annapolis w/excellent access to the bay.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:10   #19

Boat: 1987 Pearson 27

Anyone have other suggestions for a good liveaboard marina in Baltimore? I just called Anchorage marina and they told me they don't allow liveaboards unless you've already owned your slip there for two years.
aDemilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:22   #20

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

Downtown Baltimore try Anchor Marina next to West Marine, across from a Starbucks, Safeway, and three blocks from a decent Ace hardware store. Who can ask for anything more-- and the dock was nice as well.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:03   #21

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDemilich View Post
Anyone have other suggestions for a good liveaboard marina in Baltimore? I just called Anchorage marina and they told me they don't allow liveaboards unless you've already owned your slip there for two years.
There are a bunch of slips for sale by owner on the Anchorage website. Could try contacting them to see if they would rent you the slip for a year.

edit: looked on Baltimore CL and there is a 36" slip for rent
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 13:01   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I have known people who’ve lived aboard at Anchorage, Harborview, Henderson’s Wharf, Oasis Lighthouse Point (formerly Baltimore Marine Center), and Maryland Yacht Club (well outside the city but still on the Patapsco) at various points over the past 10 years. However, it seems their liveaboard policies are quite changeable year to year so the only way to know anything for sure is to contact the marinas directly.

At the Anchorage, I’m not sure renting a slip directly from an owner gets you around the liveaboard restrictions, at least not officially. So feel that one out carefully.

The city marinas are all gated and have security so there’s never been a high incidence of on-premises crime at any of them. It’s really your comfort level with what goes on beyond the gates. I haven’t been downtown much since COVID hit, so I don’t have a sense of where things are going with crime.

That aside, if I didn’t need to be in Baltimore and wanted to live aboard on the Chesapeake in a place that’s a bit lively in the winter, I’d probably look at Annapolis for its strong cruiser/liveaboard community or Hampton for being slightly more moderate in winter climate than the mid-bay.

Some posters have mentioned the eastern shore, and you could lump in Solomons and Deltaville on the western shore as places that would have similar vibes to some of the eastern shore locales. This might be OK with you, but be aware they are all going to be extremely sleepy in the wintertime, sometimes with boater-oriented restaurants, bars, shops, etc. closing seasonally.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 23:00   #23

Boat: CSY33

I think if you rent as a transient you may have a temporary way around liveaboard restrictions at some marinas. They look on people passing through differently from people tying up permanently.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 08:08   #24

Hi What about the Boston street pier next to Anchorage Marina, does this pier allow liveaboards? We were in the area, signage shows it listed as Harris Creek Pier but no further details. Its close enough to a Safeway, parking lot and a small complex which also has a Starbucks (Yay). Thanks
mgw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 11:20   #25

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
There are a bunch of slips for sale by owner on the Anchorage website. Could try contacting them to see if they would rent you the slip for a year.

edit: looked on Baltimore CL and there is a 36" slip for rent
We own a slip at Anchorage. To liveaboard you must have owned the slip for two years. Even owners are not allowed to rent their slip to a liveaboard non-owner. These are fairly new rules, not how it used to be.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 11:56   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgw1000 View Post
Hi What about the Boston street pier next to Anchorage Marina, does this pier allow liveaboards? We were in the area, signage shows it listed as Harris Creek Pier but no further details. Its close enough to a Safeway, parking lot and a small complex which also has a Starbucks (Yay). Thanks
I believe that one is managed by Lighthouse Point Marina. I don't know anything about their liveaboard policies though it has always looked like they have some boats that were set up for overwintering. But considering they are in the process of kicking everyone out of the main marina for a $40 million dock replacement and top to bottom renovation to begin in September, I imagine slips at Harris Creek Pier will stay booked solid, assuming they don't shut it down as part of the renovation effort.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2022, 13:30   #27

Boat: Cal 33-2

Note this thread is from 2021 and OP either did or did not spend last winter in Baltimore.
JimsCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:20   #28

Boat: Alberg 35

I've had a boat in Baltimore at Anchorage Marina for the last eight years. I don't live aboard but I stay on the boat for a few days most weeks. I think you'd like it here. Safeway grocery store, West Marine, Starbucks, endless restaurants in easy walking distance. Downtown is walkable or about a $10 Uber. Anchorage does long term dock rentals and it's a great community of boaters.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, liveaboard