Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 07:07   #61

Boat: Southern Cross 28
Re: Liveaboard in a West Wight Potter 15

I think another thing to mention that others have touched upon is safety. You mentioned you have very minimal sailing experience. That being said, if you really want to even coastal cruise your boat you should look for something with a track record of seaworthiness and something that is going to be forgiving of your many, many, mistakes as you learn the ropes. That doesn't mean large, but there are limits to how small is safe and all other things being equal, having a few extra feet of waterline will make a difference in your boats safety at sea. A super light displacement boat built for lake sailing is not going to be forgiving. Safety certainly isn't the sexiest consideration when buying a boat, but consider your own limitations also before taking anything too far from land.
SC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 07:22   #62

Boat: Scout 30

While this is a far cry from a WW Potter, if I were looking for a cruiseable boat to live aboard on a small budget I'd be looking for something like this. A great classic in what appears to be good condition.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-189782.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 11:05   #63

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Greetings Ivan. May I suggest possibility the best book about a couple who has done what you wish?

You'll want to buy

Beachcruising and Coastal Camping by Ida Little and Michael Walsh.

The is for those who find Voyaging on a Small Income far too costly. The couple was and are and inspiration to me. And I've been out here for 9.5 years on a 23'er, albeit a miniature trawler. It's a good life.

That said, your anticipated power requirements are too small. And because your boat is small and light weight, she won't have the carrying capacity for a lot of stuff. As others have said, larger would be more practical.

All the best, and good luck.
Seriously, buy Ida's book and study it with pen in hand. It truly is underappreciated. It's just what you need.

J.
Old 16-09-2017, 12:21   #64

Boat: T33, Nexus dory

The space on a small boat is so very limited that the sports of backpacking and canoe camping are the only approach routes that will prepare you for such restrictions. Once you have backpacked the canoe will bring the luxury of ample beer. You might even visit the American Canoe Association sailing pages for methods to turn that canoe into a lively sailboat.

If you move from a house, or an apartment to a small boat, and do not first have the knowledge to be self sufficient with what you can carry on your back, you are missing a very good mental preparation. Spending some time on a sailing canoe will likewise help you understand the forces acting on a sailboat.

Your college friends might think you daring. This could enhance your social life.
When it is time to move to the boat sell your canoe and keep the backpack kit.
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 12:57   #65

Ivan,

The only advantages of a WWP over the Catalina 22 are that you can pull it with a smaller car, step the mast by yourself, and store it in a typical driveway (and maybe bragging rights after its all done). If you're absolutely constrained by one of those limitations, I'd understand that option, but the C22 is a better choice in every other conceivable way, and will offer you the same satisfaction of self-reliance on a weekender-turned-microcruiser. It's small enough, believe me.

Bottom line: under twenty-two feet, you're just engaging in masochism. There is a huge used fleet of C22s to choose from, so the chances are higher to find your sweet spot between price/condition; parts and equipment are readily available, and it will sell when you're done with it.

I agree that a full-sized, commercially-sold desicating head is too big. A porta-potty will do, but you could look into the 5-gal. bucket DIY desiccating head for long-term scenario.

Propane/butane stove is the only way to go.

A small outboard that will propel both the yacht and a small inflatable dinghy is a sound idea, though you'll have to accept that a motor small enough for the dinghy will be of only limited help to the yacht when heading into a 1–2' chop.

Though without a hot plate your electrical demands will be small, you will find that even the few lights/electronics you use will require you to be constantly concerned with charging your battery bank. A wind-powered generator on a yacht so small is awkward and very few rely on it as a primary charging source because it performs well only intermittently, i.e., when there is wind, and when you're positioned to be exposed to it. One of the goals of a comfortable "snug" anchorage is to be protected from weather, which is at cross purposes with a wind-powered generator. I'd try to figure out how to make it happen with solar, but that will demand that you relax the minimalist mindset a bit to research and design a whole system that will suit your real needs. No matter what you do, you'll become an electron miser. You can permanently mount a rigid 50-watt panel over the foredeck hatch, then augment with flexible or semi-rigid panels in strategic places. It's probably more practical to mount those panels in such a way that they can be moved around/tilted, so plywood backings could work, and taken in to protect them from being damaged/lost when the wind pipes up .

You're going to have a great experience.
Old 16-09-2017, 14:49   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ivan,

When I was a college student I would have tried living on a very small boat, but was landlocked at the time. So, I can appreciate your desire.

Here is a website that has many ads for smaller boats (it is somewhat of this site's specialty). It is named "Sailing Texas" but has ads from around the country. Most of the boats are less than 35 feet long, many are dinghys, many are "small pocket cruisers." Many are "trailer sailers" too. You can look at this site to learn some more design or models you may want to add to your list of possibles.

Sailboats for sale from Sailing Texas, buy or sell your sailboat, free sailboat ads.

As for your plans?
I would save more (or spend more) and look for a Catalina 27 (some can be purchased for $4K or less).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 12:27   #67

Boat: Buchan 37, Windward Mark + MiniTransat 6,50 Antidote

Forget the WWP 15 and buy my Aleutka 25.
Adrian NAMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 18:12   #68

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

Just some quick thoughts as I read through your list.

Cooking: id swap the electric hot plate for a non pressurized alcohol cook top. Also wax paper is extremely useful. I enjoy a pressure cooker for beans/stews too.

Food/water: we have been cruising for over a year with no fridge and we do not miss it. You can store a lot without refrigeration. Look at the boat galley for ideas. Pressurized water is nice, but a footpump is simpler. I suggest a saltwater footpump as well for doing dishes (or just use a bucket but it's so convenient having it at the sink). I doubt you need a watermaker if you plan on cruising America. We did it for a year without one, filling up at marinas. But we have one now and it is a major luxury. Hello showers and laundry! I would also try to get more water storage if possible. You mention going composting, maybe there'd be room where an old holding tank was?

Electrical: a good charge controller and sine wave inverter. We had good look using the ubiquiti bullet for wifi if you're in a populated area (marinas, restaurant, bars usually have open wifi).

Also I would be hesitant to do a ton of heavy mods on a "temporary" boat. I bet you could find a good solid 26ft boat that could carry far and for a long time. In fact I might know of a sweet deal on something just like that. What is your location?
Old 20-09-2017, 18:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Troll did come to my mind.

Lots of bored teens out there with a laptop.

Well played Sir.

You'll need at least a 50 foot catamaran to sleep aboard with the required gear.

Seriously people do this all the time. Subscribe to excellent Small Craft Advisor magazine. Retitle your journey to "beach-cruise camping" and you'll be fine and encounter less naysayers.

Origo single burner stove is your new best friend.

The simplicity of your journey will make us all a little jealous and reminiscent of our own first days on the water.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 18:44   #70
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. You'll need at least a 50 foot catamaran to sleep aboard with the required gear.
Good luck on that, but quite a few of us have been happy on smaller boats with no Air Condition or Microwaves.

Cruising on a 15' WWP however is not a good idea. How many times do we have to repeat it?
Old 20-09-2017, 20:40   #71

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Cruising on a 15' WWP however is not a good idea. How many times do we have to repeat it?
Lay off the OP with that stuff. He has capitulated and is looking for a larger trailer sailor instead of the WWP. He got the message a while back. So, a more valid criticism might be for folks who post without reading all the preceding posts.

Jim
Old 21-09-2017, 06:30   #72

Liveaboard in a West Wight Potter 15

Quote:
Good luck on that, but quite a few of us have been happy on smaller boats with no Air Condition or Microwaves.

I also cruise on something smaller.

Here are people beach camping out of kayaks. It can be done with a kayak although I prefer a canoe for the cooler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5904.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	156470
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:13   #73

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
. . . .
Bottom line: under twenty-two feet, you're just engaging in masochism. . . .

I don't agree. I can think of a number of boats 19' & 20' that would minimalist but not masochistic for cruising:

Flicka 20
Cal 20
WWP 19
Dufour T6
Ensenada 20
First 210
Gib'Sea 20
Halman 20
Nordica 20
Signet 20
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 08:15   #74

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

You didn't need to repeat it because the OP capitulated on this issue about 6d ago and said as much 50 posts ago (#24).
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 18:30   #75
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Lay off the OP with that stuff. He has capitulated and is looking for a larger trailer sailor instead of the WWP. He got the message a while back. So, a more valid criticism might be for folks who post without reading all the preceding posts.

Jim
You are barking up the wrong tree there Jim: I was not addressing the OP.

Agree about folks not reading all the posts.

Tags
liveaboard