Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 11:20   #46

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: Liveaboard in a West Wight Potter 15

Like everyone else has said for the budget getting a 19-15' boat is likley a better bet. That siad you can certainly do it.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-cFwevGYp7bvxQ

As others have said getting a camping stove is a better bet then electric. Hot plates draw a fair amount. If you were planning on trailer sailing the country I might stick with the potter but otherwise based on your plans I would go bigger. Also I knew a guy with a potter who had one of these dinghies, might work for other small boats
Origami Folding Dinghy

I have met people who lived on some small boats before(compac 16 and Oday Mariner) but unless you have a reason to be that small it doesn't make much sense.
Old 15-09-2017, 11:28   #47

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

You're suggesting putting the systems (electrical and whatnot) of a much bigger boat onto what basically amounts to a dinghy.

Much of the expense of a boat is related to the complexity of the systems installed, not length. So, as everyone else has more or less said: look for something larger. Living at anchor in a 15 footer is more of a stunt than something sustainable.

Not trying to discourage you, just help out a bit. I've lived on a 31 footer since 2010 and 'sailed the Americas' in the opposite direction you're planning. It's been great, but one of the biggest challenges has been living, working and traveling in such a small space.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:33   #48

Ivan,

If you are going to live aboard for several months then I strongly urge you to consider a boat with standing headroom in the cabin and can be lived in comfortably. That would rule out almost all boats under 26 feet (the Cape Dory 25D and Dana 24 being notable, if expensive, exceptions.

Consider a Catalina 27. Seaworthy enough (with modifications) that several have circumnavigated. Large enough for comfortable living and storage of a hard dinghy on the foredeck. Easy to single hand. Some of the older ones have outboard wells in the lazarette and can be powered by a relatively inexpensive and fuel efficient 6 to 8 HP motor. A 9.9 would be a better fit though. Some have inboard diesel engines.

Best of all, you can probably find a good one within your budget. I'll be looking at one this weekend that includes a 9.9 outboard priced at $2500.00 The manufacturer is still in business so parts are readily available. There were over 6000 of these built so there are always plenty on the market to choose from.

John Vigor includes this boat in his book "20 small sailboats to take you anywhere."
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:36   #49

Consider a Pop-Top if under 24 ft..
Sailing season where you are now will be over in a month or so.
A lot of boats will be offered for sale... Consider
Good luck

Pierre
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 11:41   #50

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

There was an Ericson 27 for under $700 on the Annapolis Craigslist couple of days ago
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 15:48   #51

Boat: Macgregor, 26X, 26'

Hi Ivan, Just getting started on my boat experience thing so cannot help on most of your questions, but can share my buying experience. After a year or more of shopping bought a 28' Bayliner Bucaneer for $800 on a custom 2 axle trailer. tons of space for 1 person with head cooking accommodations and quite a bit of storage. Of course it needs work and is not a bluewater boat. However the point is there are possibilities out there if you give yourself some time and make the effort. I have just barely missed a large Piver trimaran that was free so you might want to expand your possibilities and move forward accordingly. Best of wishes.
Jimmy4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:00   #52

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Thank you for your hilarious post...I needed a good laugh. You have a wonderful sense of humour!

My favourite line was "all the tools needed to maintain the engine"...that's your boat full right there!

Have you ever been in a WWP15? No? Try this...tip a phone booth on its side, and climb in. The boat is not quite that big.

Okay, seriously though, I admire your values, and share most of them. But there are practical limits. You do need space for all your junk. Wether you have a 40 footer or a 15 footer, your WW gear, clothes and food still take up the same amount of space.

I'm going to assume your real goal is cheap, not small. And you have made an error assuming small is cheap. There are plenty of older boats out there that can be had for next to nothing...some actually for nothing. The only reason I can think of to go ultra small is to set a record or make it fit into your garage with the door closed.

With all due respect, I'll make a friendly suggestion you checkout some slightly larger boats. I did not say more expensive. We each have our own threshold for space. For many, nothing less than 50 feet is acceptable. My own criteria comes from years of experience...I want a mounted stove...not a portable stove. This means around 25 feet. I want to start my day with a hot dose of caffiene, and I don't want to rearrange the main cabin just to get some boiling water. Hence a permanent stove. An Origo one burner is my stove of choice. There are whole threads on that topic alone, so lets try not to get side tracked.

FWIW, I bought a 1972 Paceship 29 for $100 (cdn, thats like $78 USD) and sailed it home. Great boat. Just impossible to sell in today's market.

You will learn that the essence of sailing is compromise. Full keel or fast fin? Expensive diesel engine or tiny outboard? New boat or old? As an aside, my last boat was NAMED "Compromise". It definitely wasn't the boat I wished for, but it definitely was the boat for me. I believe Sir Mick Jagger said it best when he sang "You can't always get what you want, you get what you need". I believe that you should not choose the boat, but let the boat choose you. If you think that makes no sense, just wait till you start boat shopping...then it will make perfect sense.

And finally, here are some practical tips. Forget the WWP. You can get a great Tanzer 22 for just a few hundred dollars. They are a great boat. And if you can tolerate the enormity of it, find an old Pearson Triton. They are also famously great for good reason...and NOT expensive. You really could go anywhere in a Pearson Triton. Or a Bristol 29. Or a Bayfield 25. Or a Contessa 26. I dunno who told you to get a WWP...but don't listen to him.

Please keep posting...or better yet, vlog your adventures. The world needs more dreamers like you. Best wishes and luck to you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:02   #53

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Tiniakov View Post
I think you've all convinced me to go bigger.... I was very wrong about the power and toilet aspects...

So, right now I'm thinking of a Catalina 22...I've seen some people live on them before and they seem to be great.

Another thought was the WWP19...if I'm not mistaken, it has a sink and toilet built in?

Thank you and have a nice day,
Ivan Tiniakov

As others have said. There are many boats that are bigger and cheaper (some free ask, Sailing Miss lone Star) use your money to fix them up. I doubt any of these would be a boat you will want to take around the world in two years but they will be a great learning experience on how to work on boats. (ask funjohnson) Just remember the hardest thing to add to a boat is square footage. Stand up headroom should also be high on your list. Maybe a Cal 25 with a pop top or Ercison 27, Catalina 27 . Potters (made right down the street from me have very flat bottom ) They are not a true sailing option. Yes ONE sailed across the Atlantic but people have gone over Niagara in a barrel. It doesn't mean you want to unless you want to sell the barrels for the next 30 + years
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:59   #54

Boat: Scout 30

Here are some free or nearly free boats that would better suit your goals:

Cape Dory 25 - $500 (Wareham MA) - Free-Boat.com
1972 Ericson 27 Sailboat Bid$10.54 (Bridgeport CT) - Free-Boat.com
Seafarer 26 sailboat (Georgetown MD) - Free-Boat.com
1981 Hunter 25' bid $50 (Long Island NY) - Free-Boat.com
27' O'Day Sailboat reduced for winter (Tenants Habor MN) - Free-Boat.com

And lastly, here is a boat you can have for only $125.00 provided you win the essay contest. May be the polar opposite of a 15' WW Potter but sure would be big enough to live on!
1886 65' Windjammer Schooner (Rockland ME) - Free-Boat.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 19:33   #55

Boat: Pearson 34

Consider how you want to spend your time. While cruising getting ashore frequently is important - from an anchored boat, you need a dinghy.

Once ashore we used folding bikes we carried on deck.

Composting toilets are nice if you live aboard.

I'd say 24' would be minimal, but good luck on your quest.
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 19:43   #56

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Those two (above) are pretty good boats.

You mentioned the Catalina 22. The Tanzer 22 is a bigger, better, cheaper version of the same thing. The T22 is a really spectacular boat for its size.

Also, I hope you have seen this:

FWIW, attached below are pics of 2 of the boats I have owned and cruised...a Tanzer 22 and a Cal25. Both good boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cal1.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	156146   Click image for larger version

Name:	t22.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	156147  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 03:53   #57

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

In a word? No....
Go sit in one, start to add just some of the gear you talk about and you'll see why it's no ...
Or maybe you are putting us on?
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 04:19   #58
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Or maybe you are putting us on?
Troll did come to my mind.
Lots of bored teens out there with a laptop.
Well played Sir.
Old 16-09-2017, 04:47   #59

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Troll did come to my mind.

Lots of bored teens out there with a laptop.

Well played Sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
In a word? No....

Go sit in one, start to add just some of the gear you talk about and you'll see why it's no ...

Or maybe you are putting us on?

Why are the 2 of you trying to bust the OPs balls when he's already conceded yesterday that the 15' boat is too small and he's going to go bigger?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:10   #60

Based on owning a 19' boat for 10 years... a WWP 15' as a liveaboard/Carribean cruiser is entirely unsuitable.

• nowhere near enough room for anything other than a handful of days aboard in friendly waters, with regular marina stops
  • a 15' boat is not safe or seaworthy enough for real cruising

I have friends who have now upgraded from the same 19' model to boats in the 22 to 24 ft range. That's a big step, and I would characterize the change as moving from a small tent to a small house trailer. Once you get to the 22 to 24' range, you now have places to put stuff, basically. (and more stuff too). You don't have to shift everything every night in order to sleep.

The larger boat is also much more suitable for real cruising.

Finally, West Wight Potters have commanded a premium in the used market, for reasons I don't quite understand. When we bought our Sandpiper, it was priced at less than half of the average used WWP 19.

So, for the $3k the OP is prepared to put into a WWP 15, one could easily find a larger boat in pretty good condition. As everyone else has already said.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard