Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 11:38   #31

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
If you take showers on the boat, the water is still coming from the marina, no?

I don't doubt that liveaboards help out with security, but they probably do consume electricity, water, etc.
And where exactly do you live aboard?

Qualifications.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:39   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Simple solution, don't use marinas
Problem sorted.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 11:39   #33

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The ratty boat in the marina is a different issue than a liveaboard boat imo. The ratty boat problem is not resolved at all by having a "liveaboard fee".

Mostly because they Can! The fee may not resolve the problem but it probably does drive away some of the less desirable tennants. I am in a private marina that charges an extra $12/ft liveaboard fee. That's $900/mo for a 40' boat and our electricity is metered. If I stay on my boat more than 3 days a week I will be charged the fee. Part of the problem is that land is so expensive here and our secured parking lot isn't big enough for all the tennants to be there at once. There are no other marinas on the Island that legally allow liveaboards. One of the 3 yacht clubs doesn't even allow you to stay overnight. The marina also requires an annual in water survey and a 2 mile trip around the channel marker buoy to reduce ratty boats.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 11:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehler 25 View Post
Although it is not specific to liveaboards, the concept of renting slips based on boat length is equally odd. If I park a 30 ft boat in a slip it is the only occupant even if there is 10 ft of empty space. They may not rent the remaining area to an 8ft dingy. It seems that beam is the biggest determining factor with the odd exception where is slip is unusually short. Then again they get to do just that.
The California Yacht Marina company's slip fee basis copied below seems very logical. The beam of a slip is typically designed to be proportional to the length of the slip, albeit catamarans and trimarans generally get charged for their extra beam requirements, e.g., 1.5 to 2 times the monohull charge of LOA. The CYM charge $250 per month for liveaboard use, with a maximum 2 person liveaboard occupancy per vessel.

Slip fees are based on boat length or slip length, whichever is greater. The overall length of any vessel is defined as the distance from the most forward of the vessel to the further position aft, this includes all items such as pulpits, anchors/anchor rollers, davits, swimsteps, outboards, bowsprits etc. Neither vessel nor any part of the vessel may project into the fairway more than 3 feet. Slips are assigned to accommodate vessels with no overhang except as permitted by the marina. Definitive slip fee amount will be determined upon arrival and inspection by marina personnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slip.png
Views:	134
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	194554  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:15   #35
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Well as someone once said, “ Don’t ask if you can’t handle it”.
I didn't notice anyone being mean or nasty?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:16   #36

Boat: Swan 432

Some states, such as California, are trying to discourage liveaboards. The fees are one way for the marina to limit the full-timers and make a bit extra. The state typically gets more revenue from homeowners than from liveaboard boaters.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:19   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Do an honest calculation, and get back to me on your math lesson.
Again costs do not need to be at all relevant to pricing decisions in a free market where supply is very limited.

Their intention could simply be to give liveaboards an increasing incentive to go elsewhere, create a more "upscale experience" for higher future profits.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:31   #38

Quote:
I don't really understand liveaboard fees making sense.
Rant over, everyone go back to important "stuff"
It is beneficial to rant every once in a while. Relieves tension and can rile up the forum members.

The etymology of rant is obsolete Dutch - ranten, randen.

But perhaps the dialectal British for rant could be spot on: a rousing good time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	forum drama.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	194557   Click image for larger version

Name:	thats-not-a-rant-this-is-a-rant.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	194558  

Name:	bucket.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	194559  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:41   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Here is one possible explanation. About five years ago, I was in a marina that had about ten or fifteen liveaboards. I didn't live aboard there, however, one month the marina notified the "liveaboards" that they were not going to be able to continue offering "liveaboard" slips.

Their "reason" was that their insurance company was going to be increasing their rates because of the liveaboards and that the insurance company wanted them to install "pump-outs" at every slip. Apparently, it was easier to remove the liveaboards than comply with the insurance company regulations.

Don't know how much of that is accurate, but insurance companies do seem to be able to dictate how businesses run their business..........
Of course if this was the reason the marina wouldn't have a liveaboard fee would itas that would pretty much show the insurance company they weren't in compliance.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:42   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Working on the logic displayed here if I book into a hotel for a week then decide at the end of the week to stay another 4 weeks I should expect to pay for 4 weeks plus extra for 'living in'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:43   #41

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
There are no other marinas on the Island that legally allow liveaboards.
This. In the States marinas that allow liveaboards are becoming rarer. This lack of supply allows the vendor to charge more for a service that sets them apart from their competitors. You are paying for that privilege. Live aboards are few so don't have much bargaining power.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:46   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Working on the logic displayed here if I book into a hotel for a week then decide at the end of the week to stay another 4 weeks I should expect to pay for 4 weeks plus extra for 'living in'
Many hotels refuse long-term staying guests.

If you really wanted to do it, you might be able to negotiate that, but would likely need to pay more.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:46   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I don't doubt that you and your wife are efficient, but the average American shower is 17 gallons (8 minutes at 2.1 gallons a minute). You probably also flush the toilet, no (I have a fancy boat with toilets and showers on it)? And you probably use some water for coffee, and to boil pasta, no? (would be wrong but I could buy a LOT of water for $150)

So I'm guessing you use more than 50 gallons a month when at a marina. you would guess wrong, but even if not just how much extra water would I have to use over the guy who washes his boat every weekend

Your air conditioner probably uses electricity, no? yes, just like the non liveaboards that have their AC running. Did you even read post 1?

Do an honest calculation, and get back to me on your math lesson. Yes, your number needs to be more realistic if you want us to take you seriously.show me YOUR math

Edit: For the record, I'm all in favor of liveaboards, but if we are to discuss it, we should have an honest conversation about it. To me, $150 doesnt' sound that unreasonable.
You paid for the slip. You pay for the electric. You pay for the water. Then you pay extra to be on your boat.

Try to come up with a real reason other than "because they can"
Old 23-06-2019, 12:55   #44
cruiser

What's the point? there is no other reason needed!
Old 23-06-2019, 12:55   #45

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
You paid for the slip. You pay for the electric. You pay for the water. Then you pay extra to be on your boat.

Try to come up with a real reason
other than "because they can"
The real reason is thievery.

We got charged live aboard rates the one and only time we used a marina.
We were in their finalising land stuff and proving proof of concept before cutting the ties.

We used no shore power
We did not use their water
We used our toilets , holding tanks and showers during our stay.
And were charged about $500 extra for doing it.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, liveaboard