Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 10:40   #121

Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

The only thing worse than a marina charging liveaboard fees is when they charge really high seasonal rates, and you can't find a slip or a mooring ball when you need one, because there is absolutely nothing available, your motor isn't running, and there is weather coming in.

Those are times that try men's souls.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:40   #122

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Exactly, a 40 ft slip costs the same, whether you are a 20ft boat, or a 39.9ft boat.

There are marinas that charge a flat fee based on boat length, but the charge by the foot is blatent, we charge you more, because you can afford it.

I'm good with all that, the thing that gets MY goat is how classified marina rates are.

There are marinas that charge $200 a month for a 35ft boat, there are marinas that charge $2000 a month.

Very few publish rates, most say call for price, 200-400 a month I can afford, two grand is out of the question.

So I call dozens of marinas, waiting on hold for half an hour, while the receptionist calls the ONE guy authorized to give quotes, taking weeks to find a decent marina I can afford.

Charging by foot length of boat is pretty much standard way to charge slip fees in marinas. never once been to a marina that said... you want a 40' finger, you pay X rate regardless of boat length. Charging by length is more equitable than flat rate for the length of the finger. you pay for the space you take up (same for storage)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:42   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Some states, such as California, are trying to discourage liveaboards. The fees are one way for the marina to limit the full-timers and make a bit extra. The state typically gets more revenue from homeowners than from liveaboard boaters.
I lived in California for 28 years as a liveaboard, a renter and a home owner. To think the state is seriously looking at the number of liveaboards versus people buying homes or renting is laughable. You obviously don't know about Chapter 13. This limits property taxes to a maximum 2% increase a year! Rents are ridiculously high because no one sell their property!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 10:46   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ View Post
You obviously don't know about Chapter 13. This limits property taxes to a maximum 2% increase a year! Rents are ridiculously high because no one sell their property!
The law of unintended consequences.

Also why we sometimes find out that Congressmen have multiple rent-controlled apartments.

Most government solutions break something else.
Old 28-06-2019, 10:54   #125

$150 liveaboard fee? I would say thank you and feel blessed...lucky if you can find anyone in Souther California to even consider renting you a liveaboard slip.
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 11:13   #126

Boat: Rafiki 37

It’s interesting how profit maximization is seen as a positive thing by most people in our market economies, yet when it is applied to us personally, some suddenly find they are not so impressed with free market capitalism. Prices in a market economy are only loosely based on input costs. Supply and demand are mostly what drives prices. In other words, they charge what they can.

It’s not moral, it’s not ethical, and it’s certainly not fair. It’s the consequence of a free market in action. As Canadian troubadour Bruce Cockburn wrote in "You've Never Seen Everything”:

Quote:
The market has no brain
It doesn't love, it's not God
All it knows is the price of lunch
BTW, many jurisdictions do have laws regarding price gouging. Mostly these apply during civil emergencies where supply chains are critical disrupted and needs are great.

I do agree with the OP — it’s not fair, but I’d say the same about the price of an iPhone, or food, or housing, or… If fairness is what you demand, then you gotta move to Utopia.
Old 28-06-2019, 11:21   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s interesting how profit maximization is seen as a positive thing by most people in our market economies, yet when it is applied to us personally, some suddenly find they are not so impressed with free market capitalism. Prices in a market economy are only loosely based on input costs. Supply and demand are mostly what drives prices. In other words, they charge what they can.

It’s not moral, it’s not ethical, and it’s certainly not fair. It’s the consequence of a free market in action. As Canadian troubadour Bruce Cockburn wrote in "You've Never Seen Everything”:
In what way is the free market not fair? It's proven time and time again to be the most efficient.

If the price of something gets lucrative, lo and behold, some competition is a LOT more likely to pop up.

What isn't fair is when the government steps in to "fix" it, regulates the prices, and manufacturers either go out of business, stop producing that good, or it becomes unattainable.

Which is more fair, to limit anchoring to municipal mooring fields, or to let marinas charge whatever the market will bear, and you can anchor wherever you want?

Florida does have "price gouging laws", but that has nothing to do with charging a fee for liveaboards.
Old 28-06-2019, 11:24   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Texas....I see you’re in California, the state where everything is expensive.
It's also the place where you make a lot of money! I know I lived there for 28 years!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 11:40   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the better seats have value

what does this have to do with anything in post 1 other than "they can"
"They can" is what it is all about. They can charge more for front row seats because people will pay more. Also they can charge a $150 live aboard fee for the same reason.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 12:24   #130

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
In what way is the free market not fair? It's proven time and time again to be the most efficient..
I’ve rarely seen “efficiency” as part of any definition of fairness. I could easily say fairness means something like, to each according to his/her need. But as I alluded to, most efforts along this line lead to Utopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
What isn't fair is when the government steps in to "fix" it, regulates the prices, and manufacturers either go out of business, stop producing that good, or it becomes unattainable..
There is no such thing as a truly free market — at least not one that functions for long. Government intervention is deeply embedded in all functioning markets and market economies.
Old 28-06-2019, 13:15   #131

RedNeckRob answered your concern! They charge a fee because 'they can'
The KGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 13:25   #132

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Charging by foot length of boat is pretty much standard way to charge slip fees in marinas. never once been to a marina that said... you want a 40' finger, you pay X rate regardless of boat length. Charging by length is more equitable than flat rate for the length of the finger. you pay for the space you take up (same for storage)

I guess you have never been to our marina. We pay the GREATER of flat rate or flat rate + $12/ea additional ft. We have 30, 40 & 50 ft fingers and the flat rate is 12 x that length, but if you have a 15' boat in a 50' slip because that is all that is available you still pay $600/month. I have a 32' LOA in a 30' slip so I pay the flat rate + $24/mo. It is an additional $12/ft to liveaboard (more than 3 days/wk).
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 13:59   #133

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Typically the "insurance says so" answer is BS. Just an good excuse that precludes further argument. Insurance companies usually do not regulate business practices to a significant extent.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 14:43   #134

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Maybe the marina just enjoys meeting new people and after a month of saying "Good Morning" to you they get a little bored and want you out and a new face in. Or they just are trying to avoid the homestead laws... Or maybe they want less dock clutter ... It's $150 extra for a whole month, that's 3 nights at an RV park rate.. or 3 nights at Motel Six, or a couple bottles of Crown Royal. Sounds pretty insignificant for a cruiser enjoying the good life.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 14:53   #135

Boat: 38" Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Typically the "insurance says so" answer is BS. Just an good excuse that precludes further argument. Insurance companies usually do not regulate business practices to a significant extent.

When was the last time you paid for corporate insurance on a major business like a Marina? They do ask all kinds of questions like that, and yes it does matter whether they have live aboard and what percentage they allow.

Even getting personal liability insurance for your boat can be challenging for a liveaboard as many insurance companies won't insure boats where people are liveaboards, I know I had to call several companies, and if your policy restricts it they can deny any claim if it comes to light, if they find you have violated the clause. Ignorance of the policy will not matter.
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, liveaboard