Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2019, 12:59   #46
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

I would have thought elec, water and waste would be priced into the 24hr dockage fee..
Be a ***** businessman who did not have that calculated in, the $150/liveaboard fee is just a private tax for the marinas pocket.
Bullcrap about extra work for staff is just that.. Bullcrap.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 12:59   #47
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Working on the logic displayed here if I book into a hotel for a week then decide at the end of the week to stay another 4 weeks I should expect to pay for 4 weeks plus extra for 'living in'..
Well that seems reasonable as the hotel has to wash the towels AGAIN.

And let's not even talk about people living in their houses. That should come with an extra $1000/mo if they sleep there more than 10 nights a month.
Old 23-06-2019, 13:07   #48

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Our marina charges a $150 live aboard fee, then doesnít allow live aboard below 40í. The water to each slip isnít metered, but the electricity is.

I can see the extra fee in some ways....if we were allowed to live aboard Iíd probably shower in the marina facilities every day and use the club house a lot more....unless I had a boat of the size that they require, then Iíd use my own shower.
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:13   #49

Boat: Watkins 29

My guess is that it's,a deterrent from making it a permanent living situation! Although, it's still cheaper than most apartment rentals in my city.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:22   #50
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismenace111 View Post
My guess is that it's,a deterrent from making it a permanent living situation! Although, it's still cheaper than most apartment rentals in my city.
I've seen marina that limit how long you can "liveaboard" on the boat, it seems to be 3 months. This basically is a non-liveaboard marina that allows for a cruiser to stop and stay there 3 months. But I just looked into a marina today in Mississippi had requires you to stay 3 months to get the good rate, which the opposite.

I've also stayed in marinas that don't allow liveaboards at all, but look the other way. This pretty much shows that there aren't any extra costs at all!

There now has been pages of responses: yet no one has a reason why I can stay in my current slip living on the boat for $X, but next month it's $X+$150. If I leave (and I am) the marina now has $X to make up (in the off season)
Old 23-06-2019, 13:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You paid for the slip. You pay for the electric. You pay for the water. Then you pay extra to be on your boat.

Try to come up with a real reason other than "because they can"

Marina Economics 101 / Meme presentation:

1) Basic premise.

2) Monopoly analysis.

3) Oligopoly analysis.

4) Implementation of Policy.

5) Summary.

Basis for original premise - They can. They will. They do. And liveaboards agree to pay the additional fee.

Wait to you learn what they charge the estates of the dieaboards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	price-profit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	194563   Click image for larger version

Name:	monopoly-diagram.png
Views:	84
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	194564  

Name:	1-Kinked-demand-curve-in-oligopoly-market-Reprinted-from-Oligopoly-Retrieved-from.png
Views:	83
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	194565   Click image for larger version

Name:	money.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	194566  

Name:	anything-else-would.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	194568  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:28   #52

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Of course if this was the reason the marina wouldn't have a liveaboard fee would itas that would pretty much show the insurance company they weren't in compliance.
Not sure if I make sense of this........
They allowed liveaboards, one of them was there for more than 15 years.
BTW, there was no"liveaboard fee" at this particular marina.........

They then decided that "one day" it wasn't profitable..........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:29   #53

I think the reason is insurance companies charge more on the marina for live aboards. More time on the property increases chances for an accident. Remember people sue for slipping here in America. The insurance companies are getting away with a lot of crap and are unchecked. The insurance commission has no pull with them as the can not even fine them.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:46   #54

Boat: Bristol 27

So, first our boy sailorboy1 complained about the banging halyards at marinas!?

Then he decides he doesn't like wakes along the ICW.

Now he is upset over the liveaboard fees.

What's next sailorboy1, are you going to complain if the wind is on the nose?...…..
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 13:50   #55
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
I think the reason is insurance companies charge more on the marina for live aboards. More time on the property increases chances for an accident. Remember people sue for slipping here in America. The insurance companies are getting away with a lot of crap and are unchecked. The insurance commission has no pull with them as the can not even fine them.
Then the marina should charge more if it is full. After all the more people the more chances of "slipping" and getting hurt. Yet the longer people are there the lower the chances as they know where the ever present marina trp dangers are. Heck the more people at the marina the bigger the danger "something" might happen.
Old 23-06-2019, 13:53   #56
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So, first our boy sailorboy1 complained about the banging halyards at marinas!?

Then he decides he doesn't like wakes along the ICW.

Now he is upset over the liveaboard fees.

What's next sailorboy1, are you going to complain if the wind is on the nose?...Ö..
No, but I would complain about you. Wait ..................... that's a waste of time. Beside you haven't cruiser anywhere now have you (tell us a beach cat story or something).
Old 23-06-2019, 14:06   #57

Boat: Volkscruiser

This is irrelevant but reminds me of why some marinas donít like live aboards.
Last week I was doing a survey before lunch on the dock and a drunk live aboard dressed only in his y-fronts staggered over to us for a chat. The marina staff told him to go get his shoes on, which got rid of him thankfully.
It was pretty funny, but like people keep saying your problems becomes there problem when you live aboard. Who wants to manage a floating apartment building?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 14:11   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Itís quite simple. They are charging you what they think the market will bear. They may be wrong (as you suggest), so the BEST thing you can do is move out, and tell them why you are leaving. This will send the market signal that theyíve price the service wrong.

This has been said here many times already, but in a market economy products and service arenít priced based on some intrinsic value. They are priced based on what the market will bear. If this price doesnít produce sufficient profit something will change.
Old 23-06-2019, 14:22   #59

Boat: Bristol 27
Question Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No, but I would complain about you. Wait ..................... that's a waste of time. Beside you haven't cruiser anywhere now have you (tell us a beach cat story or something).
Hey thanks SB1 for the beach cat racing invite

So when I got to Pensacola from inland Tennessee/Mississippi racing and had actually won a regatta or two sailing Hobie 16's, I arrived in Pensacola in the mid 90's expecting to continue my success but I was then up against a whole new set of competitors and more high tech boats

Brain Lambert is the first guy to break thru this surf line. He's a pretty good sized guy which definitely helped on this day (at about 22 seconds into the video) I actually beat him in a race when I first arrived since it was a drifter ...wind at 5 knots or so on my Nacra 6.0 when my son (my real crew) happened to be down from Memphis.

Things changed though when the wind got up. It took me quite a while to become competitive

Btw, since you should be nearing Destin/Ft Walton Beach soon that's where guys like Brain (and Olympian Randy Smyth, Bob Curry) live. He's the guy with his hand behind his back after finishing the Worrell 1000 leg in the video

Our yearly 100 mile race started of Leeside Park at 0700 (White Flag) Ft Walton Beach then we proceeded East under the Destin Bridge, then right (West) at the sea buoy for 60 miles or so and back in Pensacola Pass and then returned East to Ft Walton. I've done the race in 12 hours with a sloop rig and as much as 20 hours when the wind didn't cooperate

The first year I did it we had 82 boats on the starting line and since it a very light air start I was in like 10th place for the long West sailing leg. It was a beautiful sight looking back at all the boats. Once in Pensacola pass though these guys started flying spinnakers for the downwind return. I'd never seen spinnakers on a beach cat until in a race until then

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 14:23   #60

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So, SB1, I guess that the answer to your plea isn't yet clear to you, so I'll try...

They add the surcharge to increase profitability. They do not need to explain their rationale to you. If you find it excessive, do what most long term cruisers do: don't patronize marinas. This plan not only saves the live aboard fee, it saves the larger basic fee for being there. That is a big help in balancing the budget that seems to occupy your thoughts so much.

So the problem isn't a marina problem, it is a Sailor Boy problem.

Most of us can see that...

Jim

Tags
fees, liveaboard