Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2019, 08:39   #256
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, Iím bored as well

But to do as you say would require a more intricate and detailed infrastructure for measuring exact usage. This would drive the costs higher compared with applying simple, but arbitrary, rates.

So yes, it would be more fair, but everyone would likely be paying more. Sounds a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face Ö but it would be ďfair(er)."
Funny that even the backwoods of the Bahamas has marinas that can manage to have metered power, water, and trash disposal.

In the US I've seen the same plus having totens you have to buy to use for the showers. And this was at an expensive marina.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 08:50   #257
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the only "fair" way is a pay for the slip you take up and for each service you use
YES!

But as many have said, marina's have no interest in fairness, only how much they can get away with and some think that if you even raise this issue they just want to get rid of you. Nice folks.
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 08:57   #258
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
...If you're restricting your comments to only publicly owned marinas then certainly you have every right to demand the elected officials be held accountable for explaining their decisions...

...I would fully agree that I wouldn't, if I owned a marina, justify live aboard fees based on it costing the marina more. I'd justify it, as I did in my post, as basic micro, and as long as there are more people looking for slips then there are slips in desirable areas, slips are priced based on that demand and cost has nothing to do with it...
Then we're in agreement.
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:22   #259
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So how far have you moved to know what options are available in various areas?
Of course you don't move before you have all the information you need.

There are so many ways you can gather it too, modern times and all.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:24   #260
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I already have said the fee is "because they can".
I really can't understand why you are obsessing about that point.

Yes it's true.

But it is not important.

Your parents did you no favour raising you to think there is much "fair" in the world.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 09:27   #261
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,874
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

We lived aboard in a private marina in San Diego for over 10 years on two different boats and became good friends not only with other live aboards but the marina owners and staff. There were a number of rules that we found hard to live with at first but when they were explained to us, they did make sense.
We ran a delivery business out of both boats and never had a problem. We used an off site mailing address but used the marinas physical address for everything else, including government communications( my wife was applying for US citizenships the time so having a physical address where we lived was a necessity).
I donít recall what the upcharge was for liveaboard status but it was nominal.
I recall having a discussion with one of the marina owners on the subject and remember him saying that live aboards provide security to the other live aboard as well as the facility as a whole and was very much in favor of them. He was a real nice guy but noted that responsible live aboard were difficult to find and the marina owners association to which he belonged were, as a group, not in favor of allowing live aboard.
Sound like a few bad apples were spoiling the life style for the rest of us!
Although we moved shoreside a few years ago, we still have many friends who we met living aboard that we still socialize and stay in touch with to this day.
My advice is to live responsibly, be courteous and help out marina owners where and when you can... it really paid dividends for us in the long run.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 14:50   #262
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 860
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Damn, let me just roll on out of here to the place that that doesn't charge the fee.

The point is NOT whether some places don't charge the fe, it's what is the fee for? So far it isn't for:

- extra electric
- extra water
- extra service
- extra amenities or service

near as I can tell it's for
- some extra trash (trash is empty on Friday and full on Monday morning so who really is putting in most of the trash)
- walking on the dock boards more often

I already have said the fee is "because they can". Some far lots of people have come on posted with the empty storyline that is given, but it never really holds up.
Actually lots of people have said that "because they can" is the basis for all economics and no other reason is needed. That last part seems to be what you're unable to accept, no other reason is needed!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:00   #263
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

I'm glad the thread is finding a true internet forum purpose of allowing people to argue a non winnable question. Even if only to agree, but doing so in some superior manner.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 15:07   #264
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NC
Boat: Southerly 57
Posts: 136
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

So Sailorboy1, I assume you resent taxes for schools if you don’t have kids and for roads you don’t drive on?
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 20:16   #265
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belezar View Post
So Sailorboy1, I assume you resent taxes for schools if you donít have kids and for roads you donít drive on?
I completely fail to see the topic link. Are you just t-wording?

You don't need to respond to me as I'm not going to see it.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 17:26   #266
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Plymouth UK
Boat: Moody, 33 MK1, 10mtrs
Posts: 18
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

we have the same in some marinas here in the UK, less so in Europe, but its down to greed, shareholders and profit.
Dignity too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 10:28   #267
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 77
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

My problem is not with the live aboard fees, it is with the narrative that live aboards are undesirable users of marina facilities, or sub par humans with trashy boats and therefore the fee is imposed in an effort to discourage them from renting a slip in that particular marina. This makes absolutely zero sense. Why in the hell would I want to discourage the customer that is willing to pay as Sailorboy had previously mentioned up to 40% more for the same slip than the weekend user. Because of the added burden to staff??? If I'm paying staff x$$ for x hours of work a day you would think I would prefer to have my slips filled with boats that pay less for the space because that will allow my staff to sit on the asses more during the work day??? The real answer to the fees certainly do not have anything to do with added burden on facilities and or staff, they are simply because they can. And they can because live aboards are the ones more likely to accept the added costs, although not without complaining about them on the internet. Because quite simply they live on their boats and they typically require or just want more amenities where they stay. Or as in my case and contrary to the false stereotype of live aboards being broke homeless people, I have a job and am just as limited to where my boat is as anyone who buys a house near where they work. As far as the people who just pay to basically store their boat and use it occasionally they would be more apt to move their boat elsewhere if saddled with the extra cost for amenities they don't much use anyway.

Those that complain about marinas where live aboards have unseaworthy boats with laundry hanging all over the boat etc, etc, etc... are blaming the wrong group of people. Those people are there because those marinas don't have rules or don't enforce them. Blame the marina owners not the users, or do as others have advised the live aboards who don't like the added fees and move somewhere else.
TCM1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fees, liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fees? What fees? northoceanbeach General Sailing Forum 28 19-10-2014 10:19
Now am a Liveaboard Again Bluemansailor Liveaboard's Forum 7 12-09-2013 07:54
Liveaboard Fees sailorwoman Liveaboard's Forum 8 09-12-2011 15:07

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.