Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2019, 18:23   #166
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Jacksonville/ out cruising
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 31,464
Liveaboard Fees - again

I donít think I have ever been anywhere that didnít have a live aboard fee or if not a stated live aboard fee then a higher price for ďfull timeĒ cruisers.
Where I am now itís $13 a foot non full time cruisers, $17 a foot full time cruisers as opposed to a set live aboard fee, bigger the boat, the more it costs to stay on the boat.
Iíve never gotten the first month not charged the fee either, not that Iím aware of, so be pleased you got one month free.

And Iíve always paid extra for electricity too, never had it part of the price, and sometimes Iíve paid way more for the electricity than the marina did, sort of a hidden profit for the marina, now that I donít like.
But I guess they sell fuel and make a profit too, so why not the electricity?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 18:56   #167
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Yes consensus seems to be "sucks but not unreasonable".

I think raising awareness about "the liveaboard movement" among the citizens and politicians who have real political clout in our system,

would not **at all** be in our interest.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 19:05   #168
Registered User
 
Buzzman's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Boat: Still building
Posts: 1,296
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Start a new marina. Make it "all liveaboard" and fight the fight with the County and State....

The problem with the notion of a "Liveaboards Association" is that the wealthy local landlubbers object to your getting the 'ocean views' for which they paid a premium at anything like a discount.

Guess who the authorities will listen to...??

It's called the politics of envy.

The flipside is, if you won the battle, the 'authorities' would then tax the marina higher rates, which would be passed on, of course.

Be careful what you wish for!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 19:30   #169
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

If you **really** want a brouhaha, use the State's own Affordable Housing laws to override tge wishes of local land use boards.

Fv*k property values 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 16:33   #170
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,664
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Well I’m in a municipal marina n Gulfport MS that actually seems to want live aboards and advertises that. The fee is $200, which makes it $500/mo for me. Now to me that’s cheap. But the non live aboard boats have their air conditioners running just like I do. So I’m basically paying $200 /mo for 150-200 gal of water/mo and 3 bags of trash/week. And it isn’t like I’m taking up a slip that could rent out to a transient at a higher rate as the marina in only 1/4 full.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 17:17   #171
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,485
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

It is amazing how the pro-liveaboard can change to anti-liveaboard in a heartbeat. Politics play a major role in our lives, whether we like it or not.



In Las Palmas / Gran Canaria, the port from which the ARC starts, living aboard has been prohibited. And apparently all by a discretionary decision of the marina's new manager.


A new law got made within the period of TWO weeks and bang now living onboard your boat in Las Palmas is ILLEGAL. Amazing speed in a place where everything else takes months and years to happen ...



Truly disappointing show of political manipulation and bad will. Spain is clearly going the Greek way.



Spain was ah oh so happy to accept and use the EU funds to build the same marina. Now that the EU stopped sending them UK and German money, they are kicking the liveaboards out of.


For the liveaboard there were mostly retired Swedes, Germans and Brits looking for the sun.


My friends got affected. They say they used to be treated very well every time they stopped in Las Palmas between their Caribbean winters "many many times" and all was fine and people were friendly. Now they came back in summer 2018 and it all changed. They are moving on to a friendlier place in Tunisia in result.



Apparently it took only one new person in the marina's management to turn a paradise marina into a place where you are not welcome at all.


A funny twist: if you come in a proper sailing boat (an engineless boat) you will not be even given a chance to tie to a dock to sleep one night after your passage.


Just think about it - the MiniTransat stops here - and I am yet to see a Mini boat that has an engine.


And the ARC sailors - will they sleep in hotels now? Sure.


Unfair treatment, political decisions, private intereses ... stay tuned.



Well well, sad news from Spain.
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 17:39   #172
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queensland
Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Posts: 267
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Thanks for posting. I was a live aboard in a Australian marina,where a small number of berth owners some who did not even own a boat took a proposal to the board to stop all live aboards. They were wanting a maximum of two nights of being on board. Fortunately this proposal was thrown out. It just goes to show how quickly things can change & how that this ludicrous proposal would have effectively dried up the marina's income that is generated by transient boats stopping for a few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is amazing how the pro-liveaboard can change to anti-liveaboard in a heartbeat. Politics play a major role in our lives, whether we like it or not.



In Las Palmas / Gran Canaria, the port from which the ARC starts, living aboard has been prohibited. And apparently all by a discretionary decision of the marina's new manager.


A new law got made within the period of TWO weeks and bang now living onboard your boat in Las Palmas is ILLEGAL. Amazing speed in a place where everything else takes months and years to happen ...



Truly disappointing show of political manipulation and bad will. Spain is clearly going the Greek way.



Spain was ah oh so happy to accept and use the EU funds to build the same marina. Now that the EU stopped sending them UK and German money, they are kicking the liveaboards out of.


For the liveaboard there were mostly retired Swedes, Germans and Brits looking for the sun.


My friends got affected. They say they used to be treated very well every time they stopped in Las Palmas between their Caribbean winters "many many times" and all was fine and people were friendly. Now they came back in summer 2018 and it all changed. They are moving on to a friendlier place in Tunisia in result.



Apparently it took only one new person in the marina's management to turn a paradise marina into a place where you are not welcome at all.


A funny twist: if you come in a proper sailing boat (an engineless boat) you will not be even given a chance to tie to a dock to sleep one night after your passage.


Just think about it - the MiniTransat stops here - and I am yet to see a Mini boat that has an engine.


And the ARC sailors - will they sleep in hotels now? Sure.


Unfair treatment, political decisions, private intereses ... stay tuned.



Well well, sad news from Spain.
b.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 19:17   #173
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I donít think I have ever been anywhere that didnít have a live aboard fee or if not a stated live aboard fee then a higher price for ďfull timeĒ cruisers.
Where I am now itís $13 a foot non full time cruisers, $17 a foot full time cruisers as opposed to a set live aboard fee, bigger the boat, the more it costs to stay on the boat.
Iíve never gotten the first month not charged the fee either, not that Iím aware of, so be pleased you got one month free.

And Iíve always paid extra for electricity too, never had it part of the price, and sometimes Iíve paid way more for the electricity than the marina did, sort of a hidden profit for the marina, now that I donít like.
But I guess they sell fuel and make a profit too, so why not the electricity?
There is quite a bit of prejudice against liveaboards, and very little of it is justified, in my opinon.

I have never paid a "liveaboard fee" or anything like it.

Livaboard fees or fees for "full time" cruisers generally cannot be justified by additional costs of servicing a liveaboard in the marina. I've been through at least one study of this. Ignoring any benefit of having the liveaboard, the costs are minimal. Water used, garbage, parking spaces...nothing adds up to $150 or $200, not even close. We fought it for years and years, eventually the port won out, the number of liveaboards was capped and a fee applied. (I never had to pay it, I left first).

Liveaboard fees are simply supply and demand. The liveaboard need a place to stay, the marina sees that they can charge a high fee, and does so. Fairness is not involved.

But there are politics involved. People (not liveaboard boaters) feel that people should not live on boats. That is something filthy, wrong, hippies... These folks don't know but they imagine and they don't like it. So it is easy for authorities to come down on liveaboards. In one case I observed, the port commissioners visited a salt water marina and saw sea foam, which was brown, and assumed it was poo. Turned around and left, convinced that what they had heard was true; the liveaboards are polluting the water.

So, sadly, the sentiment is against liveaboards. Shorelines and shoreline usage will prevent the growth of marinas; we'll never have a reversal of the supply and demand situation.

In my case I realize I can't change it, I guess I just have to figure out how I can increase my income to deal with the rising fees and charges.
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 19:23   #174
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 2,911
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It is amazing how the pro-liveaboard can change to anti-liveaboard in a heartbeat. Politics play a major role in our lives, whether we like it or not.



In Las Palmas / Gran Canaria, the port from which the ARC starts, living aboard has been prohibited. And apparently all by a discretionary decision of the marina's new manager.


A new law got made within the period of TWO weeks and bang now living onboard your boat in Las Palmas is ILLEGAL. Amazing speed in a place where everything else takes months and years to happen ...



Truly disappointing show of political manipulation and bad will. Spain is clearly going the Greek way.



Spain was ah oh so happy to accept and use the EU funds to build the same marina. Now that the EU stopped sending them UK and German money, they are kicking the liveaboards out of.


For the liveaboard there were mostly retired Swedes, Germans and Brits looking for the sun.


My friends got affected. They say they used to be treated very well every time they stopped in Las Palmas between their Caribbean winters "many many times" and all was fine and people were friendly. Now they came back in summer 2018 and it all changed. They are moving on to a friendlier place in Tunisia in result.



Apparently it took only one new person in the marina's management to turn a paradise marina into a place where you are not welcome at all.


A funny twist: if you come in a proper sailing boat (an engineless boat) you will not be even given a chance to tie to a dock to sleep one night after your passage.


Just think about it - the MiniTransat stops here - and I am yet to see a Mini boat that has an engine.


And the ARC sailors - will they sleep in hotels now? Sure.


Unfair treatment, political decisions, private intereses ... stay tuned.



Well well, sad news from Spain.
b.
Well, we have to stop whining and face reality: Liveaboards are vulnerable and we cannot change that. There is prejudice everywhere.

In my opinion, all we can do is figure out how to live with it.

I feel like it's 1939.
__________________
Sailing is a sport, an athletic activity, not a sedentary one.
Fred Roswold-Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Mexico
https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 19:37   #175
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Hello Godwin
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 20:22   #176
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,341
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

I see a general trend in many of the posts regarding discussion of justifications or lack of justification of the fees at marinas which discussions are being made from the perspective of the lessee / boat owner and not from the perspective of the lessor / marina owner. The reality is that perspective of justification that counts is the one involving the revenue perspective, not the cost side nor the fee payor side. The marina is establishing a price, it is up to the lessee to negotiate an alternative, if they can.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 20:43   #177
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 275
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well Iím in a municipal marina n Gulfport MS that actually seems to want live aboards and advertises that. The fee is $200, which makes it $500/mo for me. Now to me thatís cheap. But the non live aboard boats have their air conditioners running just like I do. So Iím basically paying $200 /mo for 150-200 gal of water/mo and 3 bags of trash/week. And it isnít like Iím taking up a slip that could rent out to a transient at a higher rate as the marina in only 1/4 full.
You may want to reread your last sentence. If the marina is only 1/4 full then they most certainly are looking for tenants and since they get an additional $200 a month it makes sense for them to have live aboards. Iím curious if they have laundry or shower facilities. If they do do you use them? If so thatís further justification for the surcharge. It is what it is. Itís not going to change so you might as well accept it.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 00:07   #178
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,853
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

I bought a Mercedes and it's unfair that it costs more than a Toyota. They are both capped at the same speed limit on the road, heck the Toyota is more reliable and I think they are equally comfy.

Why does Mercedes charge more?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 00:20   #179
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,740
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Have nothing against liveaboards, especially nomadic cruisers, yet understand the need to limit liveaboards so to allow berths for recreactional boaters. Would hate to see marinas becoming low-income housing projects. Also wish boat owners would use their boats
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 05:43   #180
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 863
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

We're full timers in the med who settle down for the winter 6 months. Last year it was Mallorca at about 20 euros a day all included. This year I got a deal under an old castle outside of Corfu 5 min walk from the center for 1200 euros for the whole winter, utils and wifi included. For a 53 footer. Sure I have to pay the extra hundred a month for the new Greek tax, but that still works out to be 10 bucks a day. No extra liveaboard fees. But if they wanted another 50 or 100 per month, I don't think I'd complain. 100% you'll be running the heat all winter, in Florida it'll be the AC. It's a steal compared to land living and all the utilities to pay there.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fees, liveaboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fees? What fees? northoceanbeach General Sailing Forum 28 19-10-2014 10:19
Now am a Liveaboard Again Bluemansailor Liveaboard's Forum 7 12-09-2013 07:54
Liveaboard Fees sailorwoman Liveaboard's Forum 8 09-12-2011 15:07

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.