Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 14:55   #136

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Liveaboard Fees - again

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The prices a business charges do not need to correspond to underlying costs in **any** way.

The rationale behind them does not need to be transparent to the customer, much less "rational", in fact the business model may very often seem crazy these days.

Bottom line is, if **you** can't afford the rent at a given location, you need to move to where you can.

The way the market is going these days, be very grateful for every marina that allows any liveaboards at all, the trend is for them to be eliminated in areas where real estate values have been rising.

Ranting helps nothing except maybe giving you a bit of psychological relief.
Well said. We have been live aboards since 2005 & have witnessed many that have had multi story apartments built right beside them. The end result is the price of the berths sky rockets & any live aboards are pushed out. Also a lot of live aboards are their own worst enemy. Insisting on hanging washing all over their boat, cluttering up the walkways, hoarding junk on deck & annoying others with the running of power tools out of hours.
Well that's my rant.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 14:57   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve rarely seen “efficiency” as part of any definition of fairness. I could easily say fairness means something like, to each according to his/her need. But as I alluded to, most efforts along this line lead to Utopia

There is no such thing as a truly free market — at least not one that functions for long. Government intervention is deeply embedded in all functioning markets and market economies.
Government regulation to ensure market fairness, transparency, and that players aren't colluding to rig it is one thing. Government interfering in a market to control it is something quite different.

Two of our best examples are the U.S. vs Russia. One is mostly free, with minimal government intervention, and one mostly controlled. Which is most efficient? Which is most fair?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:07   #138

The marina has spent the money to develope the property. Income to cover these costs and make a profit are rental based.. however derived
Gypsy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:17   #139

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Why is the electric not metered and charged for? In Spain, apartment rentals, boat moorings etc get the elec bill on top of the agreed rental rate. Even here in Thailand, the apartment I rent for a month, I get the electric bill separately. (Water too). Utilities are always extra.
One of the marina's that we were in had priced the installation of every berth having an individual meter. The cost of this far outweighed the return of investment.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 15:19   #140

Boat: Lagoon 440

So why not simply leave for a day sail. Empty the toilets, recharge the batteries and check back in for another month.
knoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:18   #141

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't really understand liveaboard fees making sense. I'm currently in a marina for a month. If I stay a second month there is a $150 "liveaboard fee". This is a 35% adder for what? Am I suddenly going to be using more resources etc. the second month over the first?

Now I used to kind of understand this as "liveaboards" use more electrical. But it costs less to power a 3 bedroom house than a $150 liveaboard fee. Plus I have noticed that boats just sitting in a slip with no one on them still have their air conditioners running. So it isn't like a liveaboard boat is really using any more power than an empty boat.

Guess that leaves water. I can come to the dock and fill my water tanks for free and that will last us 3 weeks on average. We probably use more water at a slip because it's "right there" and easy to refill. Near as I can tell this results in us using about 50 gal/month more water. Is the 50 gal of water that I can get free normally worth an extra $150? The "weekender" boats will use more than that when they come back in from their 3 hour boat ride to wash the boat off.

The only thing I can see my liveaboard fee covering is the extra wear and tear on the dock boards because they get walked on more.

Rant over, everyone go back to important "stuff"
Most if not all marinas trying to get as much money out of us as possible.
I had the same situation in a marina in Brisbane. I sometimes stay on and off on my boat, to pay the levy i give them the dates when i stay, in the end it got all too confusing.
My argument is the marina either provides power and water included in the docking fees or not,
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:57   #142

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

If one accepts the argument that marinas don't like liveaboards … for whatever reason … then the additional fee could be regarded as an encouragement for you to go live aboard some place else.

I wonder what percentage of marina berths are occupied by liveaboards … and if they all went some place else … how many empty berths would then bring zero revenue for the marina?

Are marina berths in such short supply that there is a queue of folks wanting to berth for just 1 month?

I don't live over there … so I'm just curious.

Happy sailing … and living aboard
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:59   #143
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes in densely populated areas where the job market is good it is not uncommon for there to be zero empty slips, waiting lists of multiple years and every year fewer marinas not more.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:46   #144

I was living in a marina a few years back. The marina rates were going up again.

This time is was explained that the city/county implemented the 'Fee'.

The reasoning was that people who live on boats don't pay property taxes. The local government decided they were missing out on tax revenue, so, here comes another fee.

The time limit was set to distinguish between a live aboard and cruiser. If you stayed past 30 days, you became a resident of the jurisdiction, and therefore needed to pay your fair share in taxes as a resident.

Yes, we all bitched, thought the property tax paid by the marina covered all the slips and so on.... but alas, someone is some small dark government office saw a loophole and by calling it a live aboard fee, and not a tax, its pretty easy for them to justify it to themselves.

Government agencies everywhere are overspending and looking for ways to plug the little leaks with money from anywhere they can get it.

We lose. Thats all there is to it.
Capt. Bilgeplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 18:04   #145

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDove View Post
If one accepts the argument that marinas don't like liveaboards … for whatever reason … then the additional fee could be regarded as an encouragement for you to go live aboard some place else.

I wonder what percentage of marina berths are occupied by liveaboards … and if they all went some place else … how many empty berths would then bring zero revenue for the marina?

Are marina berths in such short supply that there is a queue of folks wanting to berth for just 1 month?

I don't live over there … so I'm just curious.

Happy sailing … and living aboard

Yep, I believe every slip on this Island has a waiting list except MAYBE Koolina way out West which is expensive and far from everything except way out West.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 20:40   #146

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
No one has a moral right to occupy a berth, let alone one intended to live aboard. For some, this will require rethinking their living arrangements.
So Mark, your view is that we have no right to live on a boat.(think about this: "First they came for the liveaboards but I was not a liveaboard, and I did not speak out".)

You may find sometime in the future that your lifestyle, whatever it is, is no longer your right.

Anyhow, there is more to this issue than, "Because they can."

We joined our liveaboard neighbors in fighting a proposed liveaboard fee.

The Port Authority claimed that the liveaboards cost the marina more.

We said, "Marina costs should be charged to those who incur them. Put meters on the electricity, put coin boxes on the laundry and showers, we'll pay."

We proved that the actual expenses of extra water, garbage, and parking did not justify the proposed fee (our electricity was metered, the parking lot was only full on weekends). We also showed that liveaboards provided a service by being there on the dock. We discussed that using the toilets ashore was better than the weekenders who came back from their Saturday/Sunday outing with empty holding tanks, where did their Poo go? or dumped them in the marina. We asked, why does the gray water volume of a few liveaboards matter more than the periodic outflow of 9,000,000 gallons when the sewage treatment plant fails?

No good answer.

So it came to, "because they can."

But the "because they can" justification fell down. Our marina was built by the Corp of Engineers with federal money on shoreline condemned from private property owners to build a marina "for the public good". The "public good" does not mean charging as much as the traffic will bear.

We must remember that the shorelines are a limited resource owned by the general public and should not be doled out to businesses for their exorbitant profit.

BUT, there was another reason which was not often stated: Many people thought that liveaboards were second only to bums and hippies. One Port Commissioner came to the marina and noticed brown sea foam and mistakenly decided it was liveaboard waste discharge. The real question in their minds was, "why don't these people live in houses like normal people?"

In the end the "because they can" won out. The liveaboard fee was beaten once but it came back, over and over. Eventually it was imposed.

My kids and grand kids won't have the option of living aboard.
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 21:48   #147

Boat: Custom Catamaran

I’m with the OP on questioning “liveaboard” fees... do I use extra water? Not really, compared to the weekenders and their hose downs. Power? All metered. Office staff “time”? It’s all pretty friendly here and I’ll always stop for a chat if someone’s up for it.

In return, the marina has another set of eyes watching out for people snooping after hours, or problems with boats on my pontoon (flooding / smoke / etc).

To me, a liveaboard tax is just another fee collecting exercise. Yes, there are boat owners who keep their boats in a total state and abuse the rule. But then there are plenty of home owners who keep **** piled high in their yards and the council has to regularly send them letters to clear it up. At least the marina can just send a brief “clean it or leave” letter and the issue’s done.

Now, where can I rant about my end of pontoon / hammerhead 12m berth that costs me double now I’ve got a cat vs the mono I used to have. I literally take up EXACTLY the same dock space but now pay double🤬
ausnp84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 00:57   #148

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Many hotels refuse long-term staying guests.

If you really wanted to do it, you might be able to negotiate that, but would likely need to pay more.
Actually, many hotels DO have long-term paying guests - and the daily 'rack rate' is WAY less than the 'casual' daily rack rate.

Still costs a BOMB, so only super-rich people can afford it.

Back in the day, I ran a hotel restaurant, and one of our 'every nighters' was a guy who wasd a former accountant whose family had moved on, wife passed, and he sold the house and moved into the hotel.

Had a three room suite - like a king-size suite: bedroom, separate sitting room and bathroom, with balcony. Was not allowed to preapre food of any kind in his room, so was in the hotel restaurant for most breakfasts and dinners, but tended to go elsewhere for lunch.

He was a nice old guy. He tipped the room staff, so they loved him.

So it is, technically, possible, but not all hotels provide the service.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 01:05   #149

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Didn't read the thread throw but I think it boils down to demand of slips. When there's more demand than available slips the owners can choose their customers freely.
For liveboards buy some waste land free for development and build a bond.. problem solved
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 04:07   #150

Boat: Rafiki 37

If these fees were actually based on resource use and direct costs to the marina, then there’s as a good an argument for liveaboards to be charged LESS, since they provide valuable services to the marina.

And if you’re going to insist that the price is based on actual resource use, then EVERYONE should be charged a different fee. I’m sure there’s as much variety in the amount of marina resources the typical causual boater uses. If it’s not fair to charge liveaboards more b/c they don’t use more resources, then the same argument applies to light users in general.

The reason they charge more is because they can, plain and simple.

Tags
fees, liveaboard