Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2016, 10:00   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Liveaboard at the empty waterfront lot you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It would be much simpler just to keep the boat at a marina that allows liveaboards. Your electric, water and sewer are already there. Trash and garbage pickup is provided. You don't have to buy property, pay taxes and pay for utilities to be installed.

And, when you get tired of where you're staying, cancel the contract, untie the lines and move.
I use this "rwidman plan" and spend periods of time without the marina slip fees or any shore side fees too. As said, simplest & cheapest.
Old 22-02-2016, 12:21   #32

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Originally Posted by rwidman
It would be much simpler just to keep the boat at a marina that allows liveaboards. Your electric, water and sewer are already there. Trash and garbage pickup is provided. You don't have to buy property, pay taxes and pay for utilities to be installed.

And, when you get tired of where you're staying, cancel the contract, untie the lines and move.
END

Doing that for years and eventually there comes a time when the little lady wants a house and garden again with all the frilly stuff even if we don't.
I spend most of my time as a live aboard with my wife at the house. 'Would be even much simpler', as you say, to have the boat at the bottom of the garden.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 13:38   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
...................... eventually there comes a time when the little lady wants a house and garden again with all the frilly stuff even if we don't.
I think that's a huge assumption to suggest that, "the little lady" won't stick with the live aboard cruising life. You're likely referring to an individual that you know. Women that spend their lives enjoying the nomadic cruising life are not so rare in my experience and there are plenty of them as members here.
Old 22-02-2016, 14:40   #34

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
Originally Posted by rwidman

And, when you get tired of where you're staying, cancel the
contract, untie the lines and move.
END

Doing that for years and eventually there comes a time when the little lady wants a house and garden again with all the frilly stuff even if we don't.
I spend most of my time as a live aboard with my wife at the house. 'Would be even much simpler', as you say, to have the boat at the bottom of the garden.
That may happen to some (or many) folks but it's not what the OP was asking about.

In reality, unless we die at sea, the majority of us will have to spend our last days (or years) on land. Too many physical conditions, too many doctor's appointments, etc. It's good to have a plan for our "after the boat" life, but again, this is not what the OP was asking about.
Old 22-02-2016, 16:37   #35

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I think that's a huge assumption to suggest that, "the little lady" won't stick with the live aboard cruising life. You're likely referring to an individual that you know. Women that spend their lives enjoying the nomadic cruising life are not so rare in my experience and there are plenty of them as members here.

Until they get older!! Females give up climbing the mast long before Males haven't you noticed.
Doesn't mean they give up sailing, just cruising long ways offshore for months at a time with just the two of you.
Could be of course they are more concerned of their partners physical condition than their own and partner is too dumb to see it.
The little lady referred too started her own business ashore and a few months ago a sailing group that has 65 members and growing. Much more meaningful to her now than revisiting the same old.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 16:51   #36

I think it's very doable in many places, but you need to get the details. If you buy a lot with the sewer/power etc ready to go it gets pretty easy. Better yet if the dock is in also.
It's all about neighbors and zoning laws. Look out for community restrictions. I almost bought 20 acres a decade ago with intentions to build a small house. Turns out the community covenants only allowed large houses!
A better deal might be a run down house on the lot. rent it and pay nothing for your boat living!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 16:06   #37

8779-I Palmetto Rd
8779-C Palmetto Rd

Here are a couple in SC. They don't have sewer pump-out, but it says they have electric and water. $150-160k. It looks like you couldn't build on the lots in the future because they are "dock-site" only but It has storage shed and place to park the car at least
KJDBonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 14:14   #38

What about other countries? Does anyone know? Where in Central America could you buy inexpensive waterfront lot with some house on it?
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 14:27   #39

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Most communities don't want this. HOA's have learned to prevent by passing restrictions that require the dock be built concurrent with house construction.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 20:10   #40

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle

Check out Louisiana, I understand you can get undeveloped waterfront property on many bayous that are deep enough for sailboats for a very reasonable price and not too many rules. Try to track down CF member Bobconnie, I have not seen him post in a few months but he had done something similar to what you are looking for in a Louisiana bayou. I have been around the Morgan City area for both work and pleasure many times and found that there are many interesting areas off the main rivers, but you would likely have to search them out in person.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 06:35   #41

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

Around 1970 I met a family that had recently bought a large older house on North Bay Rd. in Miami Beach. They were concentrating on fixing up the house with little interest in working on their dock in the short term. I offered to fix up their dock in return for them allowing me to live on my boat at their dock.

I docked there and lived aboard for a couple years - don't know if something like that is still possible.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:37   #42

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDBonez View Post
8779-I Palmetto Rd
8779-C Palmetto Rd

Here are a couple in SC. They don't have sewer pump-out, but it says they have electric and water. $150-160k. It looks like you couldn't build on the lots in the future because they are "dock-site" only but It has storage shed and place to park the car at least
Interesting, but I could stay at a marina for a long time before I spent $150k and have the flexibility of moving whenever I wanted, and probably more amenities and less maintenance.
Old 27-02-2016, 08:54   #43
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDBonez View Post
8779-I Palmetto Rd
8779-C Palmetto Rd

thanks for these two listings, they lead to a lot more ideas and places. Secluded, and possible to secure the boat from the land side. good place to leave a crappy car and bulk items in the storage. seems like a great place for a big cat. you can side tie to your own dock and the 3' LLW depth won't bother you much.
Old 13-03-2016, 20:26   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
thanks for these two listings, they lead to a lot more ideas and places. Secluded, and possible to secure the boat from the land side. good place to leave a crappy car and bulk items in the storage. seems like a great place for a big cat. you can side tie to your own dock and the 3' LLW depth won't bother you much.
What other places came up in your search?
KJDBonez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, water