Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 17:09   #106

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Liveaboard around Vancouver without a slip

Ljbuckers:
Start looking at/reviewing boats for sale in British Columbia.

Rejoin Vancouver Rowing Club (must be the Yachting Section) ASAP. The longer you are a member (of the Y section) the higher your priority in terms of getting a slip there. (However, you CANNOT live on your boat at VRC!) Otherwise, great moorage in great location. VRC membership has other rewards. (Yes, I am a longtime member.)

Consider a smaller (36-41') boat: much less expensive (initial purchase, upgrades, moorage, maintenance) and easier to learn/handle.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 16:40   #107

Hey there all!!

Been reading through here and getting some really good info.
Thank you to everyone who has asked questions and those who have taken the time to answer.

So basically, unless I want to wait years for a liveaboard slip, if I learn and am confident enough there should be no issue with just anchoring or hooking up to a mooring buoy and coming ashore at temp docking/with a dingy to do things like grocery shop or visit the laundry etc yes?

I'm actually not interested in a sailboat but have decided a trawler is a better fit for me. From the research I have done, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference when it comes to things like anchoring etc. If I am wrong here, please let me know!

My dream is still a couple of years out but the goal will be to venture down the west coast BC to Baja. Does anyone else do that?
TerraNovaVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 17:45   #108

Oh Dear, Terri :-)!!!

You say: "[I] have decided a trawler is a better fit for me....the goal will be to venture down the west coast BC to Baja."

No, no, no, Terri! Do the math! How many miles to the litre do you get in a "trawler"? How far is it from Vancouver to Capo San Lucas? What is your tankage? So how many pit stops would you have to make along the way? How many places are there where you can safely bring in a "trawler"? What will you do when you CANNOT bring the boat to harbour on this, a coast most notoriously dangerous?

Seasoned sailor folk make the trip all the time, but they do it in SAILBOATS! 200 miles off shore! And they don't stop till they can make a left turn to get under the Golden Gate Bridge. Would you know how to find that "hole in the wall" from 200 miles out? Are you up for taking your little "trawler", which won't be a REAL trawler but just a glorified motor boat, into Newport, Oregon in conditions like these:

If you are not, you shouldn't go anywhere near America's west coast from Cape Flattery to the Golden Gate. Remember that seasoned US Coast Guard coxswains (rescue boat skippers) wet their knickers all the time working the Oregon coast! :-)

Now, stick around and ask questions becoming a novice, and we'll get you off to a reasonable start to becoming a sailor.

All the best :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:13   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Oh Dear, Terri :-)!!!

You say: "[I] have decided a trawler is a better fit for me....the goal will be to venture down the west coast BC to Baja."

No, no, no, Terri! Do the math! How many miles to the litre do you get in a "trawler"? How far is it from Vancouver to Capo San Lucas? What is your tankage? So how many pit stops would you have to make along the way? How many places are there where you can safely bring in a "trawler"? What will you do when you CANNOT bring the boat to harbour on this, a coast most notoriously dangerous?

Seasoned sailor folk make the trip all the time, but they do it in SAILBOATS! 200 miles off shore! And they don't stop till they can make a left turn to get under the Golden Gate Bridge. Would you know how to find that "hole in the wall" from 200 miles out? Are you up for taking your little "trawler", which won't be a REAL trawler but just a glorified motor boat, into Newport, Oregon in conditions like these:

If you are not, you shouldn't go anywhere near America's west coast from Cape Flattery to the Golden Gate. Remember that seasoned US Coast Guard coxswains (rescue boat skippers) wet their knickers all the time working the Oregon coast! :-)

Now, stick around and ask questions becoming a novice, and we'll get you off to a reasonable start to becoming a sailor.

All the best :-)!

TrentePieds
So the people I've met (they both have trawlers in California
- a 1981 CHB 34 and 1982 Offshore Trawler, Ed Monk design) say their fuel consumption is about 2 gal per hour and they can go 700 miles.

I'm not worried about the number of stops as I'm in no rush to get anywhere. I'd stop wherever I need to stop and likely would stay there a few days.

The friends I have never made any mention of not being able to bring their boats in to any if the harbours they've stopped at. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any kind of restrictions on them... Am I missing something?

I don't have any desire to be 200 miles out to sea, I'd prefer to stick to the coastline. But I have plenty of time to learn more about the sailing conditions along the coast, the best time to travel and the precautions to take. After learning more, maybe I won't do it... Who knows! Maybe I will

What I do know is that I don't want a sailboat. Period.
So I'll work around that aspect.
TerraNovaVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 19:41   #110

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraNovaVS View Post
- a 1981 CHB 34 and 1982 Offshore Trawler, Ed Monk design) say their fuel consumption is about 2 gal per hour and they can go 700 miles.

I'm not worried about the number of stops as I'm in no rush to get anywhere. I'd stop wherever I need to stop and likely would stay there a few days.

The friends I have never made any mention of not being able to bring their boats in to any if the harbours they've stopped at. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any kind of restrictions on them... Am I missing something?

I don't have any desire to be 200 miles out to sea, I'd prefer to stick to the coastline. But I have plenty of time to learn more about the sailing conditions along the coast, the best time to travel and the precautions to take. After learning more, maybe I won't do it... Who knows! Maybe I will

It IS possible to "harbour hop" down the coast (I've done it) - but it's risky. Most of the harbours on the west coast of Washington, Oregon, and northern California (as far south as Monterey, not that far south of San Francisco) are simply river mouths that the US Army Corps of Engineers have dredged and extended with breakwaters.These quickly (after being dredged every few years) develop sand bars across the mouth. When the seas outside get big enough - and it doesn't even have to be stormy) they start to break on this sandbar. "Crossing the bar" in these conditions is EXTREMELY dangerous: As you go over a wave breaking from behind you, your bow dives down into the back of the wave in front of you and your stern, complete with rudder(s) and propellers goes high in the air such that, at this critical moment, you lose both propulsion and steering. The boat slews sideways (called "broaching") and can be rolled over by the breaking wave behind and/or thrown against one or other of the rock breakwaters lining the entrance. It's also quite difficult to determine, from behind, when waves are breaking - so these "bar" entrances have big signs with big yellow flashing lights facing out to sea. They read "When Yellow Lights are Flashing, Port is CLOSED. Do Not Enter. Extremely Dangerous" - and it is!

If you've never been out on the open North Pacific north of Monterey, you have no idea. Do yourself a favour and volunteer as crew for somebody (experienced!) making that trip before you attempt it yourself. It's a whole different world from sailing or cruising lakes, the Inside Passage, or generally in the tropics (which have their own challenges).

As for fuel stops, there is only one between Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas on the outside of the Baja: Turtle Bay where I guy comes out to your boat with a rusty old 45 gallon (Imperial, 55 gallon US) drum of gas of questionable vintage and quality - and hand pumps it into your tanks. You will have GREAT difficulty making that trip with only a 700 mile range. BTW, DON'T buy a boat with gas engines. ONLY consider Diesels.

Between Monterey and the Mexican border, living and cruising are easy. The weather is benign and there are services everywhere. Heck, there's even Sea Tow if you get into trouble. I suspect that your California friend lives somewhere in there. For varying reasons the outside coasts of Washington, Oregon, northern California, and the Baja are MUCH more challenging!

As I say, first do it as crew on somebody else's boat before you try to do it yourself.

Hopefully I've just saved a life. Many, many have been lost on that coast. Go buy your boat in the LA area (they're cheaper anyway) and take it from there.
Scorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 19:47   #111

Quote:

It IS possible to "harbour hop" down the coast (I've done it) - but it's risky. Most of the harbours on the west coast of Washington, Oregon, and northern California (as far south as Monterey, not that far south of San Francisco) are simply river mouths that the US Army Corps of Engineers have dredged and extended with breakwaters.These quickly (after being dredged every few years) develop sand bars across the mouth. When the seas outside get big enough - and it doesn't even have to be stormy) they start to break on this sandbar. "Crossing the bar" in these conditions is EXTREMELY dangerous: As you go over a wave breaking from behind you, your bow dives down into the back of the wave in front of you and your stern, complete with rudder(s) and propellers goes high in the air such that, at this critical moment, you lose both propulsion and steering. The boat slews sideways (called "broaching") and can be rolled over by the breaking wave behind and/or thrown against one or other of the rock breakwaters lining the entrance. It's also quite difficult to determine, from behind, when waves are breaking - so these "bar" entrances have big signs with big yellow flashing lights facing out to sea. They read "When Yellow Lights are Flashing, Port is CLOSED. Do Not Enter. Extremely Dangerous" - and it is!

If you've never been out on the open North Pacific north of Monterey, you have no idea. Do yourself a favour and volunteer as crew for somebody (experienced!) making that trip before you attempt it yourself. It's a whole different world from sailing or cruising lakes, the Inside Passage, or generally in the tropics (which have their own challenges).

As for fuel stops, there is only one between Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas on the outside of the Baja: Turtle Bay where I guy comes out to your boat with a rusty old 45 gallon (Imperial, 55 gallon US) drum of gas of questionable vintage and quality - and hand pumps it into your tanks. You will have GREAT difficulty making that trip with only a 700 mile range. BTW, DON'T buy a boat with gas engines. ONLY consider Diesels.

Between Monterey and the Mexican border, living and cruising are easy. The weather is benign and there are services everywhere. Heck, there's even Sea Tow if you get into trouble. I suspect that your California friend lives somewhere in there. For varying reasons the outside coasts of Washington, Oregon, northern California, and the Baja are MUCH more challenging!

As I say, first do it as crew on somebody else's boat before you try to do it yourself.

Hopefully I've just saved a life. Many, many have been lost on that coast. Go buy your boat in the LA area (they're cheaper anyway) and take it from there.
Old 04-07-2021, 19:53   #112

That video shows coast Guard cutters LEAVING harbor and tackling waves from the front - and not a rock pile (breakwater) in sight! That is FAR safer (if still very dramatic) than tackling them from behind coming in. I would take Scorpius out in conditions I'd never consider for coming in.
Old 04-07-2021, 21:24   #113

Terri:

Scorpius speaks truth as he always does. Heed him.

If you do not want a sailboat but a trawler, then go join our sister forum here:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/

The people who live there know about "trawlers" in a way that we mere rag wavers can not.

Now is a REAL trawler:

What gets called "trawlers" in the glossy mags is no more than expensive glorified motorboats. The name of the game is to appeal to the romantics among us.

All the best to you for your seafaring future.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 22:10   #114

Quote:
Having options is always a good thing.
Whether it be sails over motors or motors over sails.
Doing the Coast run with just a motor is a risky gamble.
But with a motor-sailer you could always sail away from shore if your motor quits. But when your motor quits in a Trawler you may get rescued. But not your boat. Have you seen a Fales Navigator Boat? Twin engine ...
https://www.popyachts.com/ketch-sail...0012?C=1176319
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 22:17   #115

Quote:
Terri:

If you do not want a sailboat but a trawler, then go join our sister forum here:

The people who live there know about "trawlers" in a way that we mere rag wavers can not.

Now is a REAL trawler:

What gets called "trawlers" in the glossy mags is no more than expensive glorified motorboats. The name of the game is to appeal to the romantics among us.

TP
👍 👍 👍
Old 18-05-2022, 20:05   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrytoda View Post
I work in IT. Right now with covid any job I'll find will be remote so I'll be able to work from the boat.

Shelter Island Marina looks like an option. I do have a car so I will be able to get around by land, and it's less than 30 nm from False Creek so I could do that run by boat say once a week, spend one week at anchor there, one week in the marina. That also solves the problem of longer absences.

I am actually looking at bigger boats, something like 35-40 ft for $50-70k, with the idea to get her ready for offshore cruising in a few years.

Your $15k/year budget for keeping a boat, does it include marina fees?
I am super curious to know if you did it. I am also in an apartment in Vancouver and my dream is to eventually live aboard and leave to travel. I figure I will start living aboard locally and found your post in my research.
AlyTru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2022, 10:36   #117

Quote:
Terri:

Now is a REAL trawler:

TP

Looks like they stopped to lower the poles and secure them properly.
Look how the starboard one was slamming about at first.
Weight up high or weight far out - which one causes more roll?
Tillikum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 01:48   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“Hundreds of boat owners and residents to be evicted from Mosquito Creek Marina [North Vancouver] ~ Canadian Press

In a mass email, sent to 459 residents, on Tuesday afternoon, Nch’ ay̓ Development Corporation, run by the S wx wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation), stated it would be permanently closing a number of its docks, to “develop extensive rehabilitation or redevelopment plans” for the marina.
Tenants will have to vacate their slips or moorage by May 31, 2024

More ➥ https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other...2029b536&ei=17

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 04:08   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Ahh....when I was delivering out of SF Bay, hyperbole and fear mongering like this kept me on the water 220 days/year on average. If folks really knew what the west coast was like, many would have made the trip themselves rather than hire a delivery skipper.

I know of several powerboats with barely 500 nms of range who have comfortably transited from Alaska to La Paz and back, one who has done it multiple times. Another went from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta and back in a 42 foot motoryacht with 500 gals fuel. Sitting in Panama several years ago waiting to transit, occured to me the most common recreational boat to transit the Canal was not a sailboat but sport fishers - the antipode of a sailboat.

Me thinks that getting powerboat advice on a sail-oriented forum is a mistake. Nothing against sailing or sailors, but they do lean towards hyperbole when it comes to powerboats. Perhaps spending hours sitting in a cold, wet cockpit takes a toll?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:34   #120

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/mo...ctions-7956760
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver, liveaboard