Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2020, 04:53   #91

Re: Liveaboard around Vancouver without a slip

I think you will find that in the eyes of the Attorney General of B.C. placing private mooring boys in BC Inland Water constitutes the criminal act of Trespass. After all, the seabed of all inland waters in BC is Crown Land.

Should you choose to place a mooring can anywhere you can reach bottom along the Kitsilano Shore - though you will see boats moored there - the owners of the properties along that shore will not be tardy in calling on the services of the office of the AG. And I'm prepared to bet my limit - currently 37 cents - that every man-jack of them has a damn sight more money, and a damn sight easier access to the legal beagles in the tall towers downtown, than you do :-)

But have a go at it. The outcome would be immensely interesting for the rest of us :-)!

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:57   #92

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Vancouver Harbour out to a line from Point Grey to Point Atkinson is a managed harbour - managed by the Vancouver Port Authority - and they are unlikely to look kindly upon buoys sprouting up. However there is a "Designated Anchorage" area off the Kitsilano Sailing Club and Kits pool where a buoy could be placed (it used to be full of them - long story).

If you want to put a buoy in, consider off Wreck Beach. It's more sheltered than English Bay, the brackish water will kill growth on the hull, and you'll stay in shape getting up the hill. And then there's the view on a nice day. Get a good pair of binoculars!

In the rest of BC it is generally true that you can place a buoy anywhere providing it is not an impediment to navigation - although other harbour authorities such as in Nanaimo, Comox, and Brentwood Bay aggressively use that clause to manage buoys in their jurisdictions. Comox has designated just about the whole damn harbour as a Seaplane Landing Area thus severely limiting buoys and anchoring there.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 08:14   #93

Boat: Hunter 386

Not to mention that if you become a sailor yourself you will learn to curse those who drop buoys in popular anchorages as they choke off some of the best.
Old 18-10-2020, 09:04   #94

Re: Liveaboard around Vancouver withou8t a slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Not to mention that if you become a sailor yourself you will learn to curse those who drop buoys in popular anchorages as they choke off some of the best.
Yup. And I refer to Comox harbour again.
Old 18-10-2020, 09:17   #95

And, speaking of Comox, if you tuck in behind Goose Spit, you are likely to get the Royal Canadian Navy on your case. It's "sort of", "informally" conceded that that bit of water belongs to HMCS Quadra, although if there is nobody else there, and if you don't get in other people's way, then an overnighter is okay even for a civilian like you. Just mind you don't wake up lying on your side when the tide has fallen :-)!

But a permanent mooring can?? Forget it!

TP
Old 18-10-2020, 09:52   #96

"Navy", "Sort of", "Informally"? Oh yes, this is the CANADIAN navy we're talking about!
Old 18-10-2020, 10:24   #97

Yeah, but watch out for the RCSCC cadets during training camp. They can be really fierce :-)!

And never forget: It was the RCN that shaped Auntie Bonnie who's kept us all safe. There's a rumour going around that she was actually named for HMCS Bonaventure. No idea if she was ever at Quadra, but it's an amusing thought.

TP
Old 18-10-2020, 13:51   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Yeah, but watch out for the RCSCC cadets during training camp. They can be really fierce :-)!

And never forget: It was the RCN that shaped Auntie Bonnie who's kept us all safe. There's a rumour going around that she was actually named for HMCS Bonaventure. No idea if she was ever at Quadra, but it's an amusing thought.

TP
My sister is an RN (Community Care Co-ordinator for the North Shore) and a CPO and medic in the Canadian Naval Reserve. I hear lots of stories!
Old 18-10-2020, 14:20   #99

Boat: Catalina 28 mkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrytoda View Post
I just discovered what looks to be another crazy option. Apparently it is allowed, or at least not very well forbidden, to create your own private mooring buoys.
Here is what I found:
Navigation Protection Act allows anybody to place "minor works" into public navigable waters

Minor works order gives a definition of what is considered to be a minor work, there are a few restrictions on swing area etc but nothing extraordinary.

There is this 2016 article by a lawyer who basically says it is wild west. And also this 2010 thread on this very forum that arrives to a similar conclusion.

Now the question: what is stopping me from putting my own mooring ball into say English Bay and living on it?
yikes! English Bay is ROUGH water. Swells at times all day long, summer afternoons guaranteed 8 out of 10 days 2 to 3 foot waves with white caps. May be 7 out of 10 days in the winter. when i anchored in English Bay on my weeks outside of False Creek i was seasick for the first week.

IF the above doesn't sound so bad to you drop 7:1 with all chain a solid anchor (like a bruce or a rocna) and it's just as secure as any mooring can.
amandak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 14:20   #100

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150 (Papeete), Beneteau First 35s5 (Vancouver)

Quote:
And Sylva Bay.
Old 29-10-2020, 23:03   #101

Hey Dmitry!
I had very similar ideas a couple of years ago. I was a novice sailor (and still am!) and was thinking of buying a boat and living on it for periods of time (I had back up). I ended up buying a 28ft boat without moorage and spent the very first night on it anchored in False Creek - first time anchoring ever, by myself! It worked out well, but needless to say, it was a sleepless night - popping out of the hatch every 15/30 min to check if I am dragging. It was a fun experience, but in the morning I pulled up the anchor and motored to False Creek Harbour where I managed to arrange a slip for a few months. I realized very quickly that I just don't have enough confidence to be anchored full time.
I spent a few weeks staying on the boat and going to work in the mornings (I also work in IT). It was ok to be living on the boat for a week or two during summer, but my boat is just not set up for full-time life aboard. I definitely discovered a few things that I wasn't ready for - like for example that all my clothes and things will absorb the funky/diesely boat smell that I don't think my co-workers enjoyed
It's now the second year of owning my boat and there are a lot of things I've learned and realized and a ton still to learn.

Moorage is still a problem and I'm currently marina hopping. I was in Point Roberts for a few months and was quite happy with it until 2020 happened.
Currently in North Saanich, which is OK for the winter, but will probably need to find something else on the mainland for spring - or move to the island full time.

Anyways, would love to meet up for a beer and chat more about this. Good luck!

Denis
dgolovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 11:06   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdelorme View Post
They have liveaboards in the boat yard not the best but i have some bottom work to do so i will use the time to best use while scoping out for a mooring ball, slip or some other combination that will work. I am hoping my movie stars good looks and charming personalty opens up a spot for me in the water or romance a nice girl with a slip and a sinking boat, Or i will just keep looking for an option. Life has way of working out if your determined. I am moving to bc in a week so the adventure continues.
Do NOT go there to SIM enquiring about liveaboards !!!!! DON'T go quoting that you were told they did accept liveaboards. It is NOT allowed in the yard or at the dock, officially. However, Discretion being the better part of valour. "Sometimes" overlooked if you are diligently & respectfully working in the yard. Savvy? As has been stated in this post. If you present as "Navy". The ropes will likely be slackened that shackle you.
Also; A very smart move for KOM & DIMITRY if you are interested. Volunteer to help out on a boat in the yard for knowledge. Maybe dmdelorme could use some help. But first... Maybe contact the Marina office. I would suggest in person. Asking if there is anyone that is ACTIVELY refitting. That could use a hand. NEVER mentioning Liveaboard, of course. Here is where being Helpful & Handy will open more doors than just being Handsome.
NB;= SIM would prefer 104 boats. That is a boat every 2 weeks paying for Hauled both ways and at the weekly yard rate in a year. Than what you will pay for the same year camping in the yard.
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 11:16   #103

Thumbs up to Jeepers :-0)!!

TP
Old 01-11-2020, 13:00   #104

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop

Quote:

I know BC cruisers who frequently use vacant mooring bouys. If the owner shows up ...move on. Frequently bouys sit all year without an occupant on public land (bed of the ocean) and denying traditional anchoring. Could be a temp solution or long term if the owner has abandoned. Test the bouy before use ( ...another topic there).
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 15:58   #105

Hey Everyone

I've been lurking for a while and this post is amazing and so very helpful.

After living in Vancouver for 14 years, I left to go and work in Auckland on an Amazon project, November 2019. I am tied to Vancouver through family commitments and will be returning in July 2021.

My background: I have a pilots licence and I flew 200+ hours on wheels and 100+ hours on floats in and around British Columbia. I also worked as a 'Overnight Sea Kayak Guide' on the Sunshine Coast for several seasons. I bought a 420, here in Auckland and this was my first ever boat with sails. I am very lucky to live on the beach and sail most days, I would definitely consider myself a complete beginner and only have experience on this boat.

About three years ago I attempted to purchase a Hunter 36 from a broker down in GI and he offered a slip there with the boat for as long as I needed it, I had a bad survey and put the sailing life on hold. I was a member at the Sailing/Rowing Club in Stanley Park for a couple of years but let my membership lapse.

I am on the slip list for a few and have experienced the exact same problems as everyone else.

So to my point: I do not want to buy or rent a house in Vancouver, my son who I share custody is there and is still only 14. He has spent about 50% of the last year or so here in Auckland but with Covid it is just impossible to travel. My ultimate goal is to live aboard and as a camera operator in the film industry I can day call as and when I need to work.

I have $100,000 saved to go towards this and that will leave me with $50,000 in contingency. This is my life worth really and at 48 I want to experience sailing around the world for as long as I can while I am young enough to not hurt too much every morning!! I do need to be based close to Kits, where my son lives for at least the next 4 years. Extended 3/4 month trips down the west coast are possible in this time as are up into the pacific north west; water and land I know quite well.

My partner is joining me and she has no experience of sailing other than the shared experience as my crew on the 420. She will be contributing 50% of the purchase so we could buy from $50,000 shared to $200,000. I have been reading and researching for years now and I am getting close to pulling the trigger. I found a boat here in NZ for about $100,000, Hylas 44 but feel it is just too much boat.

Our original plan was to buy a boat here and live on it for 6 months, then pay for a captain to take us to Fiji, where we could learn on the passage and then float around until returning for season two, where we would live aboard again on the hook or more likely a slip. Due to my son not being able to join us here I must now do this in the Vancouver area.

I am not sure what to do, which route to take and I feel the more I research the less I know what is the right choice to make at this point, so I thought I would throw it to the floor and cower in the corner.

Sorry for the ramble but I know you lot like information!!

Best

L
Ljbuckers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vancouver, liveaboard