Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 18:57   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Okay... who reading this started the engine to move right over the anchor just to set the anchor alarm? I can't believe anyone remembering to set the anchor alarm while dropping anchor....

I motored back up to the anchor once because I got false alarms during tide swings at night and couldn't allow a bigger range setting because the anchorage was packed. I didn't have much trust in my anchor yet in those days

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 19:06   #17

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Little-Devil
Is there some kind of GPS app that can broadcast a signal to a phone or something if you move to far from your point of origin?
Anchor alert
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 19:10   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
Okay... who reading this started the engine to move right over the anchor just to set the anchor alarm? I can't believe anyone remembering to set the anchor alarm while dropping anchor....

I motored back up to the anchor once because I got false alarms during tide swings at night and couldn't allow a bigger range setting because the anchorage was packed. I didn't have much trust in my anchor yet in those days

cheers,
Nick.
I've been using anchor alert for ios. Haven't got enough experience with it yet to fully recommend it but it has an offset function. So you "point" it at the anchor and if you have 200 feet out you set 200 feet offset in the direction of the hook.

It drops breadcrumbs while active so you can see your swing. It eats battery so you need to keep the iphone on charge.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 01:06   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

cheers,
Nick.
The best anchor alarm is generally with the GPS directly over the anchor.
The easiest way to do this is use a GPS that allows you to set a remote waypoint as the cetre for the anchor alarm (rather than tha boats current position)
If you look at the track trace on the plotter it is usually easy to work out where you dropped the anchor. (typically you will be traveling forward stop drop the anchor and and drift back so there there will be a big kink in the trace).
When you have anchored and settled down set the cetrre of the anchor alarm forward of the kink by about 10m (becase the GPS aerial is 10m from the bow and you want the aerial directly over the anchor)
This generally provides the best anchor alarm and if you set it like this you will have no false alarms.
Occasionally it is worth choosing a different spot so the anchor alarm will wake you if the boat moves in one direction due to a windshift,, rather than just dragging.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 01:51   #20

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
.......I then snorkel or use the Bathiscope to check the set of the anchor. I usually look at other boat anchors as well, especially boats upwind.
How important / useful is a Bathiscope?
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 04:01   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
How important / useful is a Bathiscope?
I usually just snorkel. I go for a swim a couple of times a day anyway, but it starts to get too cold for me to swim for pleasure from November. My wife will swim till mid December so she gets to check the anchor then.
Bathiscopes are cheap, but are reasonably large even when collapsed down so they have to justify their place, but it is reassuring to see the set of the anchor, particularly other boats in front of you if bad weather is forecast. They have other uses such as a snagged anchor , finding something lost overboard etc

The water does have to be clear enough, but visibility in a lot of the popular cruising grounds around the world is good. An alternative is to use a face mask and hang over the side of dingy, but you still get you head wet.
If storage is an issue you can make a small bathiscope from some pvc pipe and scrap perspex, the field of view is limited, but it would be useful for emergencies. The local fishermen here make Bathiscopes, for finding octopus, from SS beer barrels with the bottom cut out.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I find the GPS alarm too mild to alert me when I'm sleeping in my berth. A battery powered "baby monitor" placed next to the alarm can be useful; however, nothing beats the "low-tech" anchor drag alarm that I used back in the 70's before GPS. Just drop a dinghy mushroom anchor over the bow on a light rode that is led through the deck vent with the bitter end tied to a saucepan lying on the floor. When the pan hits the headliner,- you're dragging!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:55   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

if we ever drag,my hard dinghy that i leave of the stern whacking into the back of the boat is the best alarn,the rib we lift
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10   #24

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

cheers,
Nick.
Uhm, ok. Maybe we are weird, but we set our alarm as we drop anchor. It is part of our regular routine.
We use headsets, Al on the anchor, me on the helm, and when he says he's happy with the spot, I say "ready to mark", and read out the speed until it drops to 0.0knts. I say "0.0,' he says "dropping now" I say "marked" (and set a mark on the chartplotter to use as the anchor mark) and we do what we do to set it in good.
I just thought everyone had a similar method. You're saying most folks don't do something like this? Oh God.... are we anal?
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Liveaboard anchoring.......

Just drop it... fall back on the wind paying out and stopping alternately....
Then after a quick 'Cheers Bruce'......
I put Kettle on...
Oh... and you'll never lose that nagging worry at the back of your mind... just learn to control it a bit...lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32   #26

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Jon Charron...

Not sure if it will work on the river Styx,but have you tried the Globalstar SPOT Messenger?
Have a look: SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger

Or the SPOT HUG: SPOT HUG

Both are able to send a message by email or SMS if your boat moves it's position.

Tore
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

another good tip,anchor in front of a yacht with a cruisers forum burgee,as they will have read all the threads and have a manson or ..... anchor,with lots of chain out,and set it correctly.......so when the wind pick's up in the night and you drag down on them you will wake up before hitting the beach,thus avoiding a expensive insurance claim.......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 16:14   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce
I find the GPS alarm too mild to alert me when I'm sleeping in my berth. A battery powered "baby monitor" placed next to the alarm can be useful; however, nothing beats the "low-tech" anchor drag alarm that I used back in the 70's before GPS. Just drop a dinghy mushroom anchor over the bow on a light rode that is led through the deck vent with the bitter end tied to a saucepan lying on the floor. When the pan hits the headliner,- you're dragging!
Now that's a heck of an idea.

Better yet tie it to the first mate. When he/she is hanging out the portlight screaming you can remind him/her that he/she has anchor watch...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:18   #29

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce
I love low tech. No batteries needed.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:21   #30

Quote:

Better yet tie it to the first mate. When he/she is hanging out the portlight screaming you can remind him/her that he/she has anchor watch...
Aww- Wait 'til your first mate reads this-you'll prolly be the anchor!!
Attached Images

Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, liveaboard