Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 07:10   #1

Live aboard wth intent to cruise

We have made the decision to move onto a boat .we are both working in the marine industry and know boats all to well .just not to sure on what is a good live aboard with this boat hopefully be the boT we do some long distance cruising in . currently living in San Francisco so

Size 55 to 60
Budget $450,000 don't mind spending more on upgrades after purchace
3 staterooms would be nice owner stateroom needs to be a good size

Liked the look of the cheolee 63 Motor but a bit heavy for light air .something similar and a bit smaller would be my preference
Huckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Live aboard wth intent to cruise

You'll certainly find it easier than many with the budget you have available, but I'd make the same suggestion as I do for those searching with relatively meagar funds. Make a list of the major criteria for your purchase: cost, geographic area, hull material, general rig spec, engine specs, cabin layout, clearance limits (draft & vertical), tankage, galley, head, electronics.... Once you have the "absolute" criteria it's much easier to overlook all those on the market that don't measure up and also this will allow you to include some possible "gems" that you may otherwise overlook.
Old 31-05-2015, 12:17   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckins View Post
We have made the decision to move onto a boat .we are both working in the marine industry and know boats all to well .just not to sure on what is a good live aboard with this boat hopefully be the boT we do some long distance cruising in . currently living in San Francisco so

Size 55 to 60

Liked the look of the cheolee 63 Motor but a bit heavy for light air .something similar and a bit smaller would be my preference
Howdy!

I used to live in SF for years and sail SF Bay. One of my favorite places on the planet. And, I also like the Cheoy Lee 63MS too (they came in smaller sizes, but I think the 43 is too different, a little too small). I think a good moderate size in that line is the Cheoy Lee 53MS. (See photos below.)

But, I can't see why one would be concerned about "light air" in San Francisco Bay.

So, the CL 63MS or the CL 53MS would be a nice boat for me in that typically windy and cool environment. Nice pilot house etc.

IF I had your budget ($450K), I would be looking for a nice used (not old) catamaran to live on in SF somewhere. Something like a Lagoon (40 foot or so).

But, be prepared that it may be difficult to find a live aboard slip there (you probably already know that). Years ago, I almost bought a big boat but at the time could not find a live aboard slip in SF, so my plans changed.

Back to the Question:

My first choice for "live aboard" would be a relatively new catamaran.

My first choice for voyaging around the world on a mono (with a spouse or with family) would be something different (aluminum, etc.) such as a Dashew design boat.

But these are my preferences. There are so many ways to go.

The "Outbound" boat line looks very nice. Check them out (probably have to find a used one).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheoy Lee 53MS 1990 1.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	102989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheoy Lee 53MS 1990 2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	102990  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheoy Lee 53MS 1990 3.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	102991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheoy Lee 53MS 1990 9.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	102992  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 12:51   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Huckinns,

Your plan seems quite do-able to me in general, but I have some reservations about the CL motor sailor. First, IIRC they have not been built for some years now, so any that you find will be pretty old. Other CLs that I have known have had endemic problems with various stainless bits, as in chain plates and other standing rigging parts. Their tanks were usually black iron, and after a few decades they often need replacement... and they are buried in the cabinetry and bilge and thus very dear to work on. The wiring was often not well done, and if you want the mod cons common to larger cruising boats this can be an issue. CL also tended to use in-house designs/builds for some components, things like steering gear and windlasses. Often these were not of the highest quality...

But my biggest concern is the sailing ability. If you really intend to go cruising in this boat, performance in moderate to light air is quite important, and I think you would find yourself motoring quite a lot. IMO, these vessels are more in the "sail assisted motor yacht" category than anything else, so keep that in mind during the selection process.

With your budget there are so many good yachts to consider... an enjoyable but daunting task

Good luck!

Jim
Old 31-05-2015, 13:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Liveaboard slips for a 55+ foot plus sailboat will be a rare as hens teeth in the SF Bay. Up to 54 ish feet you might find a slip in Marina Bay on E dock at the outside. But the winter surge will make that a bit bouncy, to say the least. The sugar dock which is in the Richmond canal and has that cozy industrial look, might have a spot.

Same applies to a 40' plus cat as end ties are dearly held and hardly ever come open. Yacht clubs might be an option for someone with deep pockets.

Exterior varnish is lovely to look at. That it takes spring and fall maintenance of sanding and varnishing (at least 2 coats+ sanding between coats), makes it far less endearing. You really have to love varnishing or have the deep pockets to pay $3000-$4000+ a year to pay someone else to sand and varnish a 55-65 foot CL or other leaky teaky boat. I lived aboard a tiny in comparison Tayana 37 for 3 years and it was lots of fun varnishing (NOT!).

It is a lovely lifestyle and one I enjoy on a very modest sailboat for well on 10 years now.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 13:42   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Huckinns,

Your plan seems quite do-able to me in general, but I have some reservations about the CL motor sailor. First, IIRC they have not been built for some years now, so any that you find will be pretty old. Other CLs that I have known have had endemic problems with various stainless bits, as in chain plates and other standing rigging parts. Their tanks were usually black iron, and after a few decades they often need replacement... and they are buried in the cabinetry and bilge and thus very dear to work on. The wiring was often not well done, and if you want the mod cons common to larger cruising boats this can be an issue. CL also tended to use in-house designs/builds for some components, things like steering gear and windlasses. Often these were not of the highest quality...

But my biggest concern is the sailing ability. If you really intend to go cruising in this boat, performance in moderate to light air is quite important, and I think you would find yourself motoring quite a lot. IMO, these vessels are more in the "sail assisted motor yacht" category than anything else, so keep that in mind during the selection process.

With your budget there are so many good yachts to consider... an enjoyable but daunting task

Good luck!

Jim
Good points! Thanks for bringing these issues up.
Old 31-05-2015, 16:44   #7

Thanks all for your feedback and comments .To answer some of your questions we have secured a slip in San Francisco how i don't know how but we got a 60ft slip .i have done more research o the CL 63 and actually talked to a guy who ran one for a number of years.He also mentioned sub standard work in areas and costly repairs in areas .They are also prone to do a lot of rolling in a sea way more than we would like so we have scratched that one off the list ,(now only of we could find a boat with all those amenities in our budget and well built ).

The reason for a boat good for light air sailing is because we don't intend staying in the bay forever we plan on heading out of here in the next 5 years and evidently end up in Europe where we will have light air .Like the oysters ,and Hallyberg rassy ,.If anyone knows of a Malo for sale on the west coast that would be a dream but they are hard to come by .

Not interested in catamarans due to issues of getting a slip

keep your ideas and boats coming all feedback appreciated
Old 01-06-2015, 08:55   #8
cruiser

If you can find a place to put it.... a catamaran is the best choice for full time live aboard for many reasons. Or buy yourself an awesome 50-60 ft trawler. The primary reason for these two options, is the ability to look out and have a 360 degree view of your surroundings. Living in a traditional sailboat is like living is a cave if you can't look out.

Oysters are nice. I'd only trade our boat for a Sunreef 58 or the Isara 50 catamaran we saw at the Annapolis show.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31   #9

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Huckins, There is a Malo here in Southern California that is in great shape. PM me for more info.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:43   #10

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Great?!!

The first liveaboard I see here willing to navigate!

Sounds Weird
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Great?!!

Sounds Weird

Yes we want to navigate and will hopefully have the time and money in the next few years to do just that but even when we do live aboard so to speak we intend to cruise at least 3 weeks a year and every weekend we can even if it just means leaving the dock and going to the yacht club we have left the dock .
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42   #12

Boat: Hudson 50

Quote:

Size 55 to 60

Congratulations on your plans to cruise. We are in a similar situation. We sold our house a couple of years ago and went searching for a liveaboard here in the SF Bay Area. We wanted a Blue Water capable boat but as this would be our 4th and maybe final sailboat I really wanted a full keel heavy displacement classic schooner type bow. (I guess I watched too many episodes of Adventures in Paradise when I was a kid so it affected my judgment of what a real sailboat should look like). Anyway I ended up purchasing a "Captain Ron" type sailboat , a Hudson 50. There are many variations in these Bill Garden designs from Formosa's to Island Traders to CT's. You can probably buy a nice one for around $200 K and have some money left over for the inevitable upgrades you will need.

The CL 63 is a beautiful boat . I saw one for sale on the East Coast but that is quite a big boat for two people to handle and might be a bit big for your 60 ft slip. For more details ...1985 Cheoy Lee 63 Motorsailor - Boats.com

Any of these old leaky teaky boats will require lots of TLC to bring them back to their former glory but I for one think it's worth it. You will need to do a very thorough survey once you select a likely candidate . We knew that going in so we are living aboard for 5 years and going through each system one by one so we will know the boat inside out before we go. We are 3 years into our 5 year plan and so far so good. Send me a PM if you want more detail.

Best of luck to you on your big adventure.
Oceandeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Great?!!

Sounds Weird
I don't believe that this is correct. I get the impression that most liveaboards here are actively cruising. I know I usually put in two or three thousand miles per year.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Huckins, There is a Malo here in Southern California that is in great shape. PM me for more info.

Hi Duefocena

Pm sent about that Malo would be very interested in hearing about it
Old 01-06-2015, 13:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback and comments .To answer some of your questions we have secured a slip in San Francisco how i don't know how but we got a 60ft slip .i have done more research o the CL 63 and actually talked to a guy who ran one for a number of years.He also mentioned sub standard work in areas and costly repairs in areas .They are also prone to do a lot of rolling in a sea way more than we would like so we have scratched that one off the list ,(now only of we could find a boat with all those amenities in our budget and well built ).

The reason for a boat good for light air sailing is because we don't intend staying in the bay forever we plan on heading out of here in the next 5 years and evidently end up in Europe where we will have light air .Like the oysters ,and Hallyberg rassy ,.If anyone knows of a Malo for sale on the west coast that would be a dream but they are hard to come by .

Not interested in catamarans due to issues of getting a slip

keep your ideas and boats coming all feedback appreciated
Hi.

I am curious. Please answer the following. If you prefer to do so privately, then please send me a Private Message.

As I mentioned earlier, I gave up on a live aboard boat years ago in SF, because I could not line up a slip at that time.

1. Where is a 60 foot live aboard slip possible in SF area?

2. How much for a live aboard rental/lease on that slip? (Considering the price per foot and adding in any additional fees for "live aboard" status there.)

3. Did you find any others willing to allow live aboard for a comparable LOA boat?

4. Did you find responses more favorable or less favorable for that LOA? (Did anyone in any marina say that was too big, or, conversely, that it was preferable to them to have a longer boat?)

Thanks for answering these questions. I am considering moving back to SF area and so I have a real interest.

Tags
cruise