Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 07:52   #1

Live aboard vessel advice

Howdy~ by summer’s end I’ll be needing a vessel. I’ll liveaboard in MD on the Chesapeake Bay. I’ll need 2 heads- one with stand alone shower. I’m 6’1’- coincidentally, that’s also maximum draft. I have an all-in budget of $150,000. I’ll sacrifice performance for comfort. Lots of dock time for the next 5 years. I’ll be single handing 90% of the time. Shorter the better for slip savings. Hoping to find local in the Mid-Atlantic. Anything come to mind?
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:06   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Live aboard vessel advice

Ummmm......Well, first, with your username, Are you a Troll? because something is fishy.

Beyond that, sailboatlistings and yachtworld are your friend.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Fishy.
Sail or power?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ummmm......Well, first, with your username, Are you a Troll? because something is fishy.

Beyond that, sailboatlistings and yachtworld are your friend.
Ha! Not a troll - just a regular dude who’s making a change. I’ve been researching a lot on YW & Boat Trader & have contacted a few brokers. Thinking I’m going the Trawler route, but I do sail, and wanted to get the skinny on boats with 2 heads, as my 2 teenage daughters will be visiting frequently until they go to college.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:30   #5

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

Here is a great discussion about styles of boats for liveaboards

https://www.liveaboard-boats.com/for...-actually-have
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 08:51   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Grand Banks 36.
Old 17-05-2019, 10:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

You have many potential questions and things to learn, but I'll just address one item. I found that my greatest accessory allowing me to single hand my sailboat was a auto-pilot.
Old 18-05-2019, 08:51   #8

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

i UNDERSTAND YOUR PROBLEM AS i HAVE ONE DAUGHTER. hOWEVER, 2 HEADS CAN STRONGLY CONFLICT WITH ECONOMICAL LIVE ABOARD. fOR A SMALL FRACTION OF YOUR BUDGET YOU COULD GET REASONABLE SPACE AND LET YOUR DAUGHTERS USE THE MARINA REST ROOMS FOR NON EMERGENCIES. USE THE 100K+ YOU DON'T SPEND TO SPOIL THEM, CARS, TRIPS TO EUROPE, ETC.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:09   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We agree with the advice on only getting a boat with one head. Marine heads with showers are fairly complicated and require some maintenance. Unclogging a marine toilet is no fun.

Another place to look for boats is owners groups. This is best done once you've settled on a few models that you like. Then google to see if that make has an owners association. These groups can offer a wealth of detailed knowledge about your boat, often advertise spare parts and, yes, boats for sale. You can still use a broker if you like, but the money could also be spent on a good survey.

Best of luck. I sailed the Bay for many years and there is a lifetime of lovely anchorages, fine marinas and things to do.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 09:13   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Howdy~ by summer’s end I’ll be needing a vessel. I’ll liveaboard in MD on the Chesapeake Bay. I’ll need 2 heads- one with stand alone shower. I’m 6’1’- coincidentally, that’s also maximum draft. I have an all-in budget of $150,000. I’ll sacrifice performance for comfort. Lots of dock time for the next 5 years. I’ll be single handing 90% of the time. Shorter the better for slip savings. Hoping to find local in the Mid-Atlantic. Anything come to mind?

Sail or power? If power...

Almost any aft-cabin motor yacht (ACMY or MY) of reasonable size could work... These are commonly set up with en quite heads for the aft master stateroom, and then another head forward for other staterooms and day use.

A cockpit motor yacht (CPMY) version would give you some additional outdoor space to play around with...

Or a trawler with whatever you need. It's easy enough to often drive MYs at slow speeds, approaching trawler economy sometimes, but with a turn of speed available for whatever reason...

Friends who have boats with two heads don't seem to have much more problem than those with only one...

-Chris
Old 18-05-2019, 09:21   #11

Boat: lancer 36

You do have a livaboard slip lined up I trust. Can be few and far between.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 10:50   #12

Boat: Sea Ray 270

You could get a nice sized Carver aft cabin for $50-60k. 2 heads and a decent sized shower. Get gas, not diesel. Most have generators. If they don't put one in. Install a watermaker onboard if there isn't one. Buy a nice sized tender to go with, like a 16-17 ft. with a 30hp 4 stroke Boston Whaler and anchor out a lot. You will save a bunch of money and have a blast.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 11:16   #13

Why gas and not diesel?
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 15:59   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Gulfstar 47-- 6 ft 6 inches headroom throughout- 2 heads 2 showers, 5ft 5 inches draft- should be well within price range
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 16:12   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

If you want to live aboard--and can afford it, buy a catamaran. If the budget is limited, a fibreglass sloop no smaller than thirty feet and preferably up to forty feet.

The bigger a boat is, the more costly its maintenance and berthing, and the deeper its draft, which limits some of the places one can hide from storms.

While it is theoretically possible to live on a tiny vessel, it will not be with any great degree of comfort or the ability to have aboard a guest for any length of time.

Having said that--I had a friend who lived aboard a 29 footer for twenty years, and travelled extensively on it whilst so doing--but I would not say he had many creature comforts aboard besides his brewing kit and at one stage a still--

(one has to keep up spirits)

Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote