Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 08:21   #1

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60
live aboard...not allowed??

I'm in the North East and planning to sail down south; SC, Georgia, Fla. and use one of the marinas in one of those states as a base fro cruising the warmer waters. I have checked most the marinas in those states and find that all the Safe Harbor Marinas which today is a vast majority will not accept live-aboard.
Well!, If I sail 1000 plus miles I intend to stay aboard in a marina, specially at the exorbitant prices they are demanding, I'm willing to get scalped in price but do they also expect me to sleep in a motel while I have a perfectly comfortable boat that I can live in?
It just doesn't make sense.
What are your thoughts?
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:32   #2

Re: live aboard...not allowed??

In some places it's the municipality that sets limits on 'live aboards'. In other places, it's the marina. They are entitled to set ordinances and policies respectively.

If you want to live aboard, find a place that allows liveaboards. Safe Harbor is a quasi marina-resort chain. That is the last place I would be looking for long term lease.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:56   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

To most people and you all those who make the rules, it's a boat, not a house.

They make the rules. If it helps, this is a good but unconstructive place to complain about it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Long ago I had a friend who lived aboard in downtown Washington, D.C. Those days are gone. However, up here on the Florida panhandle you are welcome to live aboard.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:24   #5

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We've discovered that to call yourself "liveaboard's" is the kiss of death.

You are Long Term Cruisers! Passing through, albeit slowly.

Most marinas here on the west coast of the US have a limit, usually 2-3 weeks per month where owners can stay aboard their boats. If you're traveling onward, that would solve it. There is also most likely a clause in the marina agreement that says something like "exceptions may be made at the discretion of the harbor master".

All these rules are because some idiot came before us and ruined it for everyone. If you and your boat are clean, if you don't start a drunken brawl on the dock at 2am, if you're not selling or obviously taking drugs, most likely the management won't care. They might begin to care if the stay prolongs into months, but I imagine a couple/three weeks wouldn't be an issue.

All of this could be wrong for the East Coast, but it's worked for us for the last seven years of living aboard. Mostly we are at our own marina where we're registered liveaboards, but it's worked for up to a month when we were travelling. Good luck!
Old 17-09-2021, 09:47   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

On the East Coast, I have always been a "transient", and had no problem. When I have been in a marina I liked, I have sometimes asked if there is a weekly rate, and, on occasion, a monthly rate. No one has ever questioned that, but then they have dealt with me for a few days, and I know how to be a welcomed liveaboard.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:59   #7

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
We've discovered that to call yourself "liveaboard's" is the kiss of death.

You are Long Term Cruisers! Passing through, albeit slowly.

Most marinas here on the west coast of the US have a limit, usually 2-3 weeks per month where owners can stay aboard their boats. If you're traveling onward, that would solve it. There is also most likely a clause in the marina agreement that says something like "exceptions may be made at the discretion of the harbor master".

All these rules are because some idiot came before us and ruined it for everyone. If you and your boat are clean, if you don't start a drunken brawl on the dock at 2am, if you're not selling or obviously taking drugs, most likely the management won't care. They might begin to care if the stay prolongs into months, but I imagine a couple/three weeks wouldn't be an issue.

All of this could be wrong for the East Coast, but it's worked for us for the last seven years of living aboard. Mostly we are at our own marina where we're registered liveaboards, but it's worked for up to a month when we were travelling. Good luck!
What the redhead said!
Old 17-09-2021, 10:01   #8

Also make sure that what you're calling liveaboard and what they're calling liveaboard is the same thing.

What they are picturing is a dirty, poorly kept, derelict looking boat with crap all over it. Living on it is a drunk, slightly above homeless, single guy who makes the ladies and small children uncomfortable when he attempts to engage with them as they're stepping around his crap-alanche on the dock.

If you're boat is clean, tidy and you're out for a week, back for a week, I doubt anyone would say much.

'No Liveaboards' is their "No Eviction Notice Necessary" clause when they want to kick out a derelict boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:58   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

we have some liveaboards in our marina. sad really because some of them are nothing but trash .. one step away from homeless. and the longer they are around the more like minded people they attract. part time or long term cruiser is a better thing to be. keep looking .. you'll find something.
Old 17-09-2021, 11:24   #10

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

Would the fact that some marinas are better set up to accommodate liveaboards make a difference? Our marina has one toilet/no shower for all the trailer towing crowd, not really for us with boats in slips.no liveaboards allowed.

In other marinas toilets/showers are provided but no permanent pump out system.Temporary liveaboards allowed. Maybe fulltime if you stay under the radar.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 13:00   #11

Friends with boats in the Los Alamitos and Long Beach areas report that there's two kinds of live-aboards; the good kind you want next to you and then the filthy, poor, surrounded-by-crap, stealing version.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:12   #12

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

As long as they are paying their monthly marina bill there is not alot that the marina can do about it.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 13:15   #13

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Water View Post
Friends with boats in the Los Alamitos and Long Beach areas report that there's two kinds of live-aboards; the good kind you want next to you and then the filthy, poor, surrounded-by-crap, stealing version.
We have those on land too. I have had less thefts after I got a big dog and started checking my mail with a machete in my hand.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:27   #14

In every marina I have encountered, cruising up and down the east coast, from Nova Scotia to the islands there is a distinction between "liveaboard" and "transient" boaters. How long you can stay as a "transient" varies from one marina to another. As long as we were paying "transient" rent for the slip, we have NEVER been told we had to leave or move off our boat. We have never pushed that past about 3 months, and that very rarely.

But... we have a clean, impeccably maintained boat, we don't hang laundry on the lifelines or have noisy parties. We pay our rent ahead of when it is due. Even if we are staying at a marina, we regularly take our boat out for day sails and fishing trips. We try hard to be a model tenant. If you do the same, you won't have any problems.

In short, if you are "transient" you can stay on your boat. That is true everywhere we have ever been or talked to. So, NO you do not need to get a motel. Never, ever have we been told we could not sleep on our boat as a visiting boater. This includes several "Safe Harbor" marinas.

And I can assure you that the Safe Harbor City Marine in Charleston has full time liveaboards. Now, they might not want any MORE, but they are certainly there, and we stayed on our boat there for 2 months without question.

So, chill and relax.

I have lived on a boat since 1999, and I deeply appreciate why marina managers are wary of liveaboards. Boats that are used ONLY as floating homes rapidly become unseaworthy, and it is not at all unusual for them to be poorly maintained, and a general hazard and eyesore. If you are a "transient" boater you are expected to move along and take any problems you cause with you.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 13:58   #15

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

yes, I spoke to one of the dock masters on one of the southern marinas today and they don't mind if you stay on your boat as a transient (30 days). Apparently they want to discourage people living aboard permanently as if it was a house boat. I understand, don't really like it but I understand
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote