Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 08:31   #16

Boat: Catalina 34 / Cheoy Lee Offshore
Re: Live aboard near Tampa area

I have a friend who has lived aboard at the Harborage in St Pete for about a year and a half and is quite happy with that facility. Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 08:41   #17

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Mc Dill AFB Has or Had their own Marina, with one area for shallow draft power boats and another area for sailboats, but you could call and see what they have now. You might go on line and check "Marina(s) or Marinas.com for contact phone numbers. Any way you look at it you would have a long drive from Bradenton, Tarpon Springs, or St. Petersburg to Mc. Dill AFB. Of those three I would go for St. Petersburg, though they had a long waiting list when I was there. Lot of good sailing there, along with a lot of skinny water. Good luck in finding a spot...
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 09:25   #18

Stan, have a boat for sale not listed yet w/ broker. Has all you would need to live on. Reply if you have any interest. I'm in Ft. Myers., an easy run up to Tampa/ St. Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-11-2015, 15:54   #19

Boat: Scout 30

St Pete to MacDill AFB is not a bad drive if you can miss rush hour. At 4 it's like flipping a switch & if there's a wreck on the Gandy it's a real bummer. A company has actually been planning a water shuttle from St Pete to MacDill which would be perfect for you if it gets off the ground. I think there's no question that you'd enjoy living in the St Pete Municipal Marina much more than being in Tampa. You're right downtown with tons of stuff to do & it's a pretty easy trip to the Gulf.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 06:54   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
............... if you still want to buy include the Morgan 33 out islander in your search. ..............
Maybe this is silly and trivial on my part, but I'm compelled to defend the name for the Morgan Out Island. There is a vessel known as an "Islander", but not a Morgan "Out Islander". My family has been living aboard a Morgan Out Island since 1973. Please forgive my obsession!
Old 19-11-2015, 07:20   #21

Boat: FP, Orana 44, Mari's Leonardo
Send a message via Skype™ to marisleonardo

I know of a nice 35' Hunter liveaboad and the lady wants to sell, and i believe she's in St Pete' s area
marisleonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:30   #22

In case you're not familiar with the west coast of Florida I recommend limiting your draft to no more than 4'. Of course you can get to & sail the Gulf with more but for gunkholing, traveling the ICW & cruising north of Tampa Bay, South of Marco Island, the Keys & the Bahamas shoal draft is a real plus.
Old 19-11-2015, 09:49   #23

I strongly agree with Scout 30 that shoal draft is a plus on the west side of Florida. I would say, however, that I think 5' or less is an acceptable draft. Yes, there are a few places you can get into with 4' that you won't be able to get into with 5', but only a very few. With a draft of 5' you will be able to go almost anywhere that you might want, and you will find that there are a LOT of sailboats that you have to eliminate from consideration if 4' is your max draft. On the other hand, there are quite a few sailboats with a draft between 4' and 5', so you eliminate far fewer if you are willing to go up to 5' of draft.

Just a slightly different point of view. In any case, good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 09:58   #24

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I strongly agree with Scout 30 that shoal draft is a plus on the west side of Florida. I would say, however, that I think 5' or less is an acceptable draft. Yes, there are a few places you can get into with 4' that you won't be able to get into with 5', but only a very few. With a draft of 5' you will be able to go almost anywhere that you might want, and you will find that there are a LOT of sailboats that you have to eliminate from consideration if 4' is your max draft. On the other hand, there are quite a few sailboats with a draft between 4' and 5', so you eliminate far fewer if you are willing to go up to 5' of draft.

Just a slightly different point of view. In any case, good luck.
I lived on and cruised the FL W coast for years with about 5.5'. That did create some minor limitations, but still covered a lot of ground. Went to 3.3' and it opened up a lot of opportunities...instead of 6' being a shoal to pick my way over, it became a viable anchorage!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 10:24   #25

I'm actually a big fan of extreme shoal draft. If you love natural & secluded anchoring on the west coast drafts under 3' open up a whole new world. When sailors say their draft does not limit them is simply means that they accept their limitations. Nothing wrong with that. As usual everything with boats is a compromise.

plans
Old 27-11-2015, 04:47   #26

St. petersburg municipal marina $177 extra a month I just stayed on my boat 6 weeks also Harborage marina has liveaboard nice marina higher cost
sailboat221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 05:25   #27

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I just bought and removed a liveaboard from the Bradenton, SE end of Tampa Bay on the Manitee River. Twin Dolphins is the name of the marina, great facilities. Dockside pumpouts every Sunday, swimming pool, plenty of baths with showers, cable, 30 and 50 amp, very clean, access codes for dock, and it is right downtown. Cost for a 50' boat was around 800 per month. Slip was paid through the end of October, so I don't know if it has been filled.

Gulf Coast Resort Marina | Bradenton FL | Twin Dolphin Marina