Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2017, 18:57   #1

Live aboard marina. What is it like?

Hey everyone,
So I’ll be leaving for the navy soon and I’m trying to save as much money as I can.

Right now my current plan is to buy a 25-40 boat that has the bare necessities for me. A bed, a closet, a toilet, and a small area to prep and store food.

By doing this, in the long run I’m hoping it’ll be cheaper than getting an apartment or house. With the left over money I’ll be saving/investing it until the day comes I can pull the trigger and buy my big boat and sail around the globe, or the bay. Baby steps.

But my question is, how much does it cost to do this and what is it like? I’ve seen various numbers thrown around but I want to hear for real experience.

Thank you!
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 19:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Live aboard marina. What is it like?

The navy has probably changed a lot since I was a part of it, but I don't see bring a sailboat with you feasible. The navy should supply what you want from your boat. But not in the style you're thinking.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 19:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I did what you envision when I was in the Navy back in the early '70s. Bought a Columbia 26 and a VW Camper Van when I was stationed in Hawaii. Between the two of them, had a mobile place to live as I couldn't find a legal live aboard slip.

By the time I was transfered to Norfolk had paid off the loan on the boat and owned it free and clear. Put it on the market and used the proceeds as a downpayment on a Morgan 35. The squadron was considered 'Sea Duty' because we were constantly on det. and lived on the boat when not deployed. Squadron trained the fleet in Soviet Aircraft Operations and we were gone over 250 days a year but in 2-3 week deployments with a couple of weeks back in Norfolk in between. We got TAD pay and a housing allowance which I plowed back into the boat and paid it off by the time I got out of the Navy 3 years later. Sold that boat and bought a Westsail 32 Kit in Costa Mesa, CA which we built, the Navy had issued me a wife by then, and sailed to SoPac.

So it can be done but buy the boat(s) right as you'll probably have to sell it when you get transfered.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 05:13   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyTurtle View Post
Right now my current plan is to buy a 25-40 boat that has the bare necessities for me. A bed, a closet, a toilet, and a small area to prep and store food.

By doing this, in the long run I’m hoping it’ll be cheaper than getting an apartment or house. With the left over money I’ll be saving/investing it until the day comes I can pull the trigger and buy my big boat and sail around the globe, or the bay. Baby steps.

Not a bad idea, but...

Easier (smaller baby step) to just live in quarters for a while. Probably more space, certainly less work. (Building manager will take care of electrics, plumbing, HVAC, etc. for you.) Probably easier/faster to build that nest egg...

I'd suggest you get to your first duty station first, scope out the possibilities, before deciding further.

Thanks for your (upcoming) service!

-Chris
Old 30-10-2017, 05:23   #5

Ditto what Ranger42c said. Believe it or not, there are naval duty stations that are a long way from any sort of marina that you could use. You say you want to take baby steps, but buying a boat right now -- before you even know where you'll be stationed -- is a HUGE step!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 05:29   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

25-40 is a big range in boat size for living on. Whether it saves any money depends on where you live to compare the costs. I've been just sitting at a marina the past 3 months and it has cost $3-3.5k total to live.
Old 30-10-2017, 07:56   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

regarding marinas for navy personnel--they exist. there is a hierarchy in application and tenancy... usn active service first, then inactive on down to last and least army inactive/discharged/retired.
you may wish to investigate these lower priced marinas for your purchase and tenancy.
in san diego , the name of marina is fiddlers cove. is on the strand, bay side
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:33   #8

Boat: Pacemaker MY 40ft

Do not plan on living on a boat or apartment. Duty stations can change at a moments notice.. I found that living aboard the Navy ships and when on land based assignments stay in the free barracks. Save your pay, you will not really need almost anything while in the Navy. The Navy was a great experience for me. I recommend it.
Cliff Meima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 08:41   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the advice to hold off on the boat idea is prudent.

As for costs for live aboards, it's all over the map depending on where you are geographically, the relative quality/amenities of the marina, etc. It can range from $100/month to $800+/month. And the selection can be limited as only a minority of marinas allow live aboards.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 09:05   #10

Boat: Seaward 25

As others have said, buying before you know where you are going is not a good idea. Once you are there you can decide if it is feasible. If it is, likely there will be others already doing it and some of those will be deployed elsewhere or will be leaving the navy and will be needing to sell, often in a hurry. Just realize that you will likely be in the same position further down the road so making a profit might be hard.

Only do this if you want to sail the boat. Boats in a marina, or elsewhere, and saving money don't often go together.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:27   #11

Thanks everyone,

I guess my phrasing was a bit off. My plan was to get the boat after I’m out of my A school and get to a duty station. This has opened my eyes a bit. I’m not completely thrown off this path but I will also be keeping open to other possibilities.
NavyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:31   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Thanks everyone,

I guess my phrasing was a bit off. My plan was to get the boat after I’m out of my A school and get to a duty station. This has opened my eyes a bit. I’m not completely thrown off this path but I will also be keeping open to other possibilities.
I know several navy guys that have done this. (tried living aboard to save money) The ones that usually last the longest have been in for a while and know the routine

I know a couple guys, one a navy seal the other a diver, that usually try and sell their boats whenever they deploy with little success.

They are both off their boats now and living in apartments. The seal just got back after an almost year deployment and the diver is about to leave

Where is your A school and what is your rate going to be?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 10:48   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Hey everyone,
So I’ll be leaving for the navy soon and I’m trying to save as much money as I can.

But my question is, how much does it cost to do this and what is it like? I’ve seen various numbers thrown around but I want to hear for real experience.

Thank you!
Buying a boat and leaving for the navy? I have it they going to station you around your boat. I think you need to rethink that plan.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2017, 11:33   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Hell who takes care of the boat when you are deployed? I was deployed 300 days/year when on the boat and the other 65 days probably all but 20 were still on the boat doing something (duty/maintenance). BAQ would never pay for a boat and dockage!
Old 30-10-2017, 12:02   #15

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We have a couple of Navy officers in our marina. I see them heading to work when I leave at 0500. Location is key and we are in the closest liveaboard marina 30-35 miles from typical Washington, DC.

Our liveaboard marina is Herrington Harbor North in Tracy's Landing, MD and it is quite nice. But, there is an active boatyard and it gets dusty when its not raining. Water and self-service pumpout get turned off in November and back on end of April. We are only six slips out, but it seems like a longer walk to the marina head and parking lot when it's raining sideways. It's not perfect, but it's 25% the cost of our last house and 50% the cost of our last apartment. We are headed south the middle of November.

It probably makes sense for you to wait and see, but nurture the dream.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote