Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2016, 13:17   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Live aboard marina resource? Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmex View Post
It's just the wife and I. We are looking at a three cabin layout. We like that both main cabins are equally nice. We really are shying away from this deep a draft though for the very reasons mentioned. I know we are going to want to stay in the Bahamas some initially and the almost 8' draft would be an issue in a lot of places.
We have some friends that are living comfortably on a 51' ketch. We are comfortable on our 41' ketch with extra space since our two children have moved to their own homes. We have also lived aboard 30' and 33' boats as a couple.

It's difficult for many to understand the amount of space that will be suitable for their comfortable living and to differentiate between aesthetic space and functional space.

The answer will not be the same for all, but there are notable advantages of a vessel no larger than needed. We do best with a minimum of material goods and some empty lockers and berths for guests. This makes us comfortable at our 41' boat with nothing stored ashore or in a dock box. There's a great freedom in non-ownership.
Old 11-12-2016, 18:52   #32

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
nothing stored ashore or in a dock box. .
OMG. Then I started thinking. 90% of what's in my dock box is because I'm tied to a dock. There are the chemicals such as cetol, acetone, etc, but that said they'd fit in the lazarette w/o much problem. Interesting.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:05   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
OMG. Then I started thinking. 90% of what's in my dock box is because I'm tied to a dock. There are the chemicals such as cetol, acetone, etc, but that said they'd fit in the lazarette w/o much problem. Interesting.
I am cautious about the resins and organic solvents that I store on board. I try not make sure that they are secure where their containers will not corrode or chafe. I also buy in the smallest volumes that will suit my needs.

If I were staying in one place, I'd probably save some money buying in larger sizes and storing in a dock box.
Old 09-03-2017, 17:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmex View Post
Hello All,

I'm new to all this and looking to buy our first water home. The question is now where to keep it while we finish wrapping up land lives? We would like to be on the east or gulf coast of the US and near an airport so that we can commute to work for a bit. Is there a resource to find suitable live aboard marinas or do you guys have some good suggestions? I wouldn't even mind someones private dock if that was an option. I seems like having enough water to get in and out may also be an issue as one of the boats we are considering is a Delphia with a pretty deep draft.

Thanks and I'm all ears,

Greg
can u tell me little bit of ur Delphia experience . i heard alot neg about delphia
bezdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 20:35   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwells36 View Post
Greg,

I left my land based domicile to live and work aboard 3 years ago.

After reading all these posts and looking back over the past 3 years there is one single piece of advice that made my transition HIGHLY successful; that was hiring an experienced yacht broker to represent me as the buyer. It's cost me nothing and proved to be priceless at the same time.

Do yourself and family a momentous favor and do what I did for my family of six.

Regards,

Rick

PS too many critical decisions are at risk without better resources.

^^^ so glad you brought this up. I recently started in the Brokerage biz, and have been recommending anyone getting a boat to use a buyers broker! It's "Free"

The standard 10% commission is already built into most boats listed on YachtWorld. The listing broker is put out there TO SELL THE BOAT! And is getting a 10% commission. If you hire a Buyers broker the 10% turns into 5% for both parties and you've got someone ON YOUR SIDE!

Also a selling broker will be much more candid with your broker. I like to explain it like:

"Going in with a buyers broker is like showing up to court with a lawyer. No matter how competent or knowledgeable you are, you're taken 10x more serious just for having someone else help represent you."

There is also a SoldBoats search brokers can do to see what boats on YachtWorld were listed for, what they sold for, and list/sale times. Plus you can see the full listing.

I'm happy to run a sold boat search for anyone and share the findings as I mentioned in another post.

And now for the liveaboard advice:

Find your MUST haves. For me it was:
-multi car parking
-close to work
-year round water
-non-metered utilities
-location location location
-"cheap"

Things I didn't care about:
-cable
-wifi

Things I might value more at my next marina:
-laundry
-bath house
-other luxuries
-proximity to open water

***youll notice I don't care about cable and internet**

My marina is in the middle of the Baltimore Harbor. I've got unlimited parking, within a block I have a RoFo (24hr convenience store like 7-11 but with good food), a liquor store, a 24 hr restaurant, two bars, and there are about 50bars in the area. Also I have awesome cell reception.

I use T-Mobile for my cell phone provider. Yeah their service isn't great outside the city BUT I have unlimited 4G LTE on both my phone and iPad with an absurd amount of full speed Internet for like $150/mo (my bill at Verizon was $120 before for a messily 4GB data which I burned through constantly.)

However T-Mobile has a list of apps that don't count towards your data like:
-Hulu
-Netflix
-pandora
-Spotify
-tons more. But those are the ones I use

So I bought a $50 adapter from the Apple Store that goes directly from the phone charging cable to an HDMI out with a separate charging port so your phone charges while it streams.

I used my phone and tablet for all my TV needs. And I used them for personal hotspots whenever I decided to use my computer (almost never pulled it out and booted it up with an iPad handy)

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:06   #36

Boat: Scout 30

[QUOTE=FutureStories;2343499]^^^ so glad you brought this up. I recently started in the Brokerage biz, and have been recommending anyone getting a boat to use a buyers broker! It's "Free"

The standard 10% commission is already built into most boats listed on YachtWorld. The listing broker is put out there TO SELL THE BOAT! And is getting a 10% commission. If you hire a Buyers broker the 10% turns into 5% for both parties and you've got someone ON YOUR SIDE!

Also a selling broker will be much more candid with your broker. I like to explain it like:

"Going in with a buyers broker is like showing up to court with a lawyer. No matter how competent or knowledgeable you are, you're taken 10x more serious just for having someone else help represent you."

This is good advice. Buying a boat is a lot like buying a house. There are a lot of pitfalls & having a professional represent you is a good thing. It's important to note that the seller will only pay your broker's commission if he has already listed with a broker. Boats that are for sale by owner including just about everything on Craigslist will not be included. However, it's my opinion that, when buying one of these boats, it might just be the most important time to have a pro on your side, especially if you're new to boating.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezdar View Post
can u tell me little bit of ur Delphia experience . i heard alot neg about delphia
I really have none but we did go and see the boat in Antigua. We really loved the floor plan and overall layout. It would have worked out well for us.
Jetmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:11   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureStories View Post
^^^ so glad you brought this up. I recently started in the Brokerage biz, and have been recommending anyone getting a boat to use a buyers broker! It's "Free"

The standard 10% commission is already built into most boats listed on YachtWorld. The listing broker is put out there TO SELL THE BOAT! And is getting a 10% commission. If you hire a Buyers broker the 10% turns into 5% for both parties and you've got someone ON YOUR SIDE! <snip>
Thanks for the advice, it'll be heeded.

Greg
Old 10-03-2017, 09:46   #39

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Live aboard in Fl, a few guidelines, Miami, Tampa- good filghts but not close, most anywhere else eg. Key West, Marathon, Fort Myers-close but few flights. Draft is an issue everywhere except maybe Coco Beach. You should probably limit yourself to locations with well marked channels to deep water, emphasis WELL MARKED. Prices are generally lower on the Gulf coast. The more rural, the tougher flight options but the lower the costs. Up to you what compromises you can make balancing earning piwer with lifestyle. Good luck in your search.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21   #40

Thanks, We have considered Tampa area but haven't pinpointed a marina... Considering Savannah, Jax, and Daytona areas. They all have good commercial flights and close to what ever for the time being.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:47   #41

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You had best check out running time to blue water as well as drive time to the airport. Both Daytona and Jacksonville are over an hour from blue water. Tampa airport is about an hour from Clearwater or worse depending on traffic. Airport security clearance allow 2 hrs in Mia, Tampa; 10 minutes in Daytona or Marathon and drive time is another 10 or 15. A good beginning might be airline schedules to see what locations might be workable.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 19:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
You had best check out running time to blue water as well as drive time to the airport. Both Daytona and Jacksonville are over an hour from blue water. Tampa airport is about an hour from Clearwater or worse depending on traffic. Airport security clearance allow 2 hrs in Mia, Tampa; 10 minutes in Daytona or Marathon and drive time is another 10 or 15. A good beginning might be airline schedules to see what locations might be workable.
Thanks. Not sure we want to deal with MIA but not writing it off though.
Old 11-03-2017, 22:31   #43
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Too many and they’re all for sale

Doesn't Norfolk VA have a pretty big airport? Also there are a lot of airports in the DMV (DC Maryland Virginia) area. And the sailing is fun around here. Blue water is a hike but the bay is great. You get some seasons too (don't know if that's a factor for you but I like watching leaves change)

Have you reconsidered your original boat option yet? Lots of great 3 cabin boats out there that draw under 5' making cruising much more manageable.

Feel free to ask me about actual full service brokerage for only 7% with Knot 10 Yacht Sales - find me on our crew page, Spencer Kent
FutureStories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:20   #44

Boat: Pearson

To clearify, shalimar marina, near ft walton fl. is $11. per foot $50 for elec. $100. liveaboard fee , 30 minutes from gulf46' bridge clearance, 25-30 min. to airport
Old 12-03-2017, 09:03   #45
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Great marina that has recently lived up to it's reputation as a "hurricane hole". Large liveaboard community from all over the globe. Close (1 hour drive) to airports. Great little historic district within walking distance. Wifi, free laundry, loaner bikes, grills on each dock, free beer 7 days as week, and happy hour every Mon, Wed, Friday. Very liveaboard and pet friendly! Dee Dee and Dylan aboard Red Head along with Mr. and Mrs Active Captain stayed here for 2 months.

Brunswick Landing Marina: A liveaboard's paradise in Georgia and check out their FB page - https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...nding%20marina

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote