Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2016, 08:36   #1

Live Aboard Insurance

I recently bought a Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin, and having been living aboard, since May. I have heard from a couple of people that my insurance company does not insure live aboard's. I have started to look into getting insurance and I am not having much luck.

Anybody in the North east have any suggestions?
spj8864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:46   #2

Boat: Caliber 40
Re: Live Aboard Insurance

Liveaboard full time for the last three years with no land based residence. Also full time liveaboard 2001 - 2004.

BOAT/US - very reasonable insurance and great customer service. They know we live aboard full time.

Have also received competitive insurance quotes from several other major insurers. Use a good broker with access to national insurance companies.

I do carry "renters insurance" to provide additional protection for all the personal stuff we have on the boat and I carry a umbrella policy for additional liability coverage. Maybe those are the issues you are concerned about?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:14   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

For the last 12 years, after full hull coverage had a tremendous increase for Florida boats due to hurricane losses, I've kept liability only for my 44 year old boat. Of course, the choice of a policy and coverage depends upon individual risk management and the value of your boat.

For most all of the years we've lived aboard since 1972 we have used the service of BoatUS to find our coverage. Every few years they offer a renewal of our policy through a different provider. Just like my health insurance that is purchased as a large group policy for a better rate, it may be an advantage to bu your policy through a large group like BoatUS in order to gain a better premium.
Old 29-09-2016, 08:43   #4

Boat: Pearson 422

We live aboard and migrate NE to Bahamas each winter. Have our policy from Markel, broker is Jack Martin Associates in Annapolis. One thing I like is that we can change our nav limits as we travel. e.g.- Chesapeake is much cheaper than Bahamas. Just takes a phone call to change the limits. Our hurricane rules are North of Cumberland Island between 1 June and 1 November.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance