Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2016, 23:14   #1

Live aboard in Singapore

Hi , I planing to live onboard after I sold my house in 2 year time due to personal reason

Location : Replublic of Singapore Yacht Club due 5 min bike trip to work place
Estimate life time membership fee 8k from outside market
About 35feet power boat 60K
Berthing cost $490 per month
Berthing maintain about $90 plus per month
Club subscription $91.50
Insurance about 1.5k to 2 k
Maintain of boat about 3k per due to most of the time dock at the marina
Fuel only on weekend go out nearby area for fishing about $300 per month
Utility about $50 per month for most of time not on the boat n will be using marina facility

Can those live onboard in Singapore tell me if my number is somewhere right , for many people discourage me from doing it due to they say this is for rich people toy . Is there any other cost ? I still have 2 year to research and thanks in advance
RobinYeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:17   #2

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Re: Live aboard in Singapore

Don't know about your cost estimates but i wouldn,t live aboard in that marina if it was free. The waves from the crewing boats arriving and departing at the adjacent wharf are horrible. Totally crushed the fairleads that the springlines were run through although admittedly the construction technique was not the best. Constantly blowing fenders during our short stay there 2 years ago and we were at the far end of the marina. The boats closest to crew dock were thrown around like they were in a hurricane.

When we discussed this situation with the marina they of course were sympathetic and informed us that there was ongoing discussions about building a breakwall between the marina and crew dock but this discussion had been going on for some time. (years)

With a small boat with a berth close into the shoreline it may not be so bad but I would spend a day there just watching the action before I ever paid any money to secure a berth.

Horrible place.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:28   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

I was chatting with the Marina crew at 1 degrees, apparently Singapore government is going to stop liveaboards as part of their no pleasure boat attitudes, just this month the MPA changed the rules on Port clearance, now the Marinas can no longer do this and the new charges are split to only 4 certified "agents"..,, the new charges I had to be on the weekend was nearly SGD300 , previous cost for the same service was SHD 50

bTW , my berth rate this month is nearly SGD 3000 for a 40 foot cat
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:02   #4

Thanks for the response , I cont monitor for I have 2 year to plan , most of the time I only spend night in the boat where lest boat coming in and out . I sit in west coast for a whole day to monitor and at night quite calm and after 12 plus there is not much ferry to batam .

1 degree is super expensive haha , not going to beth there . I will ask MPA about the ruling , thanks ,
Old 06-04-2016, 02:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinYeo View Post
Thanks for the response , I cont monitor for I have 2 year to plan , most of the time I only spend night in the boat where lest boat coming in and out . I sit in west coast for a whole day to monitor and at night quite calm and after 12 plus there is not much ferry to batam .

1 degree is super expensive haha , not going to beth there . I will ask MPA about the ruling , thanks ,
I just send enquiry to MPA about live in a boat say I am local and using my Mother house as mailing address. See how's the replay
Old 06-04-2016, 02:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 04:10   #7

Thanks , if everything when well will join all as a boat owner in 2 year time
Old 06-04-2016, 04:41   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Hi Robin and welcome to the forum
I'm not familiar with Singapore marinas but have you considered a marina on the Malaysia side? Might be very cheap but yes, time is money, especially in SG and a 5 min bike ride to work is hard to beat.
Anyways, please keep us updated about you findings
Best regards,
Erik
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:04   #9

Boat: Pinisi, 30m (81ft)

Check this blog out.... it is a little out of date 2011... but entirely about living aboard a yacht in Singapore.... note: if you are an expat, there might be an 'employment pass/residency' issue ... something to do with having a physical address, rather than a c/o RSYC address.
Living aboard a boat in Singapore — Part 2: Getting started | Around the Globe
RajaNagaLaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:38   #10

Thanks , I check every thing related to the topic and also check all the price that why I have a rough number of the cost . I am local so address shouldn't a problem , I need to know the hidden cost and insurance which I can't find in the web.
Ya once MPA update me on my enquiry I will update here . As for what boat will decide once I sell my house and get hold of the money . Hope the property maket won't crash in 2 year time lol . It will be a power boat about 30 to 38 feet with all the basic needs , hope to get someone give up boating and sell me the membership and the boat together lol .
Old 06-04-2016, 15:46   #11

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

A long time ago I stayed on a yacht for a long time on a mooring area closer to the causeway. Owned by Mr. Ong but as I said a long time ago. Near SAF Yacht Club ?
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 16:30   #12

Ya the rate as follow. SAF Yacht Club - Where the Sea Adventure Begins!

Membership SGD 7.5k non transferable . Cheaper Than Singapore Replublic Yacht Club but too far from my working place .
Old 25-05-2016, 18:28   #13

hi bro,
any updates on your emails to MPA?
boolean21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 01:03   #14

Yes, they replay me . They say on the phone they do not in charge Nor involve in staying on board , the place we berth belong to the Marina and only marina able to give me the answer if I want to stay onboard .

My working location now in west I think raffles Marina really suit me well . But I need to get a written from the marina if I going to stay on board there .

Raffles Marina I think i can get cheaper membership in the classified ads . And there is a Chinese junk selling at 38k even 1978 make . Look tempting to get it but I need 2 years to get my money and don't think the owner can wait .
Old 02-06-2016, 17:29   #15

thanks for the reply bro.

was wondering, for sail boats, what's the requirement for sailing one in Singapore?

other than the need of learning how to sail a sail boat, is PPCDL sufficient?
boolean21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore