Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 15:52   #16

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Re: Live Aboard in Hawaii... (MISERABLE, help? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKEMP View Post
Ok, so after reading all of the bad press about sailing in Hawaii I knew this was going to be a challenge from the start. I did NOT realize it would be SUCH a challenge...

I am the new owner of a 45' Bruce Edwards ketch which I purchased in KoOlina last year... Regardless of what I've read on the forums, KoOlina is VERY NICE... The challenge is the owner is NOT very nice to live aboards, ("scum of the earth" was a quote I heard personally) and they do not accept pets. My Golden "Francis" was shocked... :-)

That left me with what I think are two options for Oahu... Ala Wai, (I'm there now but there's a 4 month limit and I'm coming close to needing to move) and Keehi State... I AM on a waiting list which I THINK might pan out, but the marina is SOOOOO terribly bad... Meth and other drugs are rampant... People come steal anything metal off your boat if you're not there... I heard a gun shot the last time I drove thru... Ala Wai is not so good in this respect, but at least I haven't been robbed/shot yet...

I am still getting my sea legs with this boat, and I'm single handed.... Now that won't stop me from going ANYWHERE in the islands where I think I might have a better solution???

Sorry for the rant, but does anyone know of a place to dock which will allow a dog and not have me fending off meth addicts on a regular basis?

I'm thinking about heading back to the West coast, but it's a damned rough trip from what I hear and I am not qualified yet to do it...

I've also heard about some folks who have a permanent slip in Ala Wai who will take cash to allow it's use... I'm GREAT with that, (I pay $800~ mth now, what a little more? but HOW would I find someone willing to do such?

Open to ANY IDEAS???

THANKS!!! -John
$800 a month for Ali Wai seems high. The guy I talked to calculated about $600. I'm going from memory here, but I thought he said 6 month's and you can extend with no problem.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:16   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As I said before it's been a lot of years since Connie and I did the Islands, but we anchored in Hana bay for about a week and met some locals, had a great time ! may be a bunch different now ! But ya never know ??
Old 24-03-2012, 17:31   #18

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

What about Kwaihae on the Big Island? It is a commercial harbor, not sure about the rules, but if you can get down to Kona or up to Kamuela you have plenty of social contact. Weather is nice there.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 17:55   #19

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
What about Kwaihae on the Big Island? It is a commercial harbor, not sure about the rules, but if you can get down to Kona or up to Kamuela you have plenty of social contact. Weather is nice there
You're right, Kawaihae is a possibility. There weren't any docks for private boats while I was there but there were a few on moorings / anchor. The problem with Kawaihae is that it is situated down wind of the valley between the two tallest volcanoes in the state. Winds of hurricane force (or higher) are not uncommon there. Barges frequently drag their moorings. It's a possibility but would be very challenging for a live aboard.

There's also a couple of marinas in Kailua-Kona you can check out. There's also a small boat yard. Worth investigating. I've only been there once and have no idea what their live aboard policy is.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 14:29   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to ElleChasse
Re: Live Aboard in Hawaii ... (MISERABLE, help? :-)

Here on Maui I have a couple of friends that moor off Mala Wharf in Lahaina. Of course you're not allowed to live aboard but they do spend a great deal of time on their boats there. <wink>
Old 25-03-2012, 18:03   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Theres a couple of great coves up Island from Lahaina have hotels in em but that never stoped us LOL In fact ate in the resterant in one of them and watched the boat at anchor while we ate !! That was a little different LOL Nice ancorages on the lee side but not to many good ancorages on the windward side tho. sweet place to cruise Maui!
Old 25-03-2012, 19:07   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Forget Hawaii. It will never change. A few problems created there. 1) there is ramped drug addiction throughout the Islands and it spills over into the boating community. If they allowed liveaboards, it would be infested with cheap derelicts and druggies. 2) I'll assume the owner that stated "scum of the earth" was Japanese/Hawaiin. It's a cultural thing handed down for decades that people who live on boats are low class like they are in Japan because they cannot afford anything else. I was married to one for 10 years and it was a real eye-opener for me. By the way...Hoali means person with no breath or souless. That in itself should tell you how they feel.
Maxout has it right...Declare war on your right for freedom. Take charge of your life and put Hawaii to your rudder. You're better than a person cowling under the demands of someone else with unrealistic demands.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 22:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It sounds like you are better off getting out of Hawaii ASAP. I never cared for the racism I experienced the six times I have had to go there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 22:57   #24

Boat: Able 50

There used to be an old barfly at HYC, maybe he's still there. He was a small thin Hawaiian guy named Herbie or Harry or something and in the bar most afternoons. He was the only local who never said hello to me.

The bartender said " Don't worry about it. He never talks to haolis. "
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 23:23   #25

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Ya...I hate to open up a can of worms here but it is true. A helicopter friend of mine was telling me when he flys over the locals houses that back up to cliffs, you can see 30 years of garbage and old appliances strewn all the way to the bottom. He said to me "Oh ya...they always complain how the so called Hoalis are f#@ing up the Island".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 00:36   #26

Whats up with all the Hawaii haters? I have loads of fun sailing and enjoying what the islands have to offer.Looks like everyone needs a little dose of Aloha!
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 01:33   #27

I lived most of my adult life in Hawaii and consider it my second home. Yes, there are some locals who may be prejudiced against caucasians, just like you can find people of any race/creed/religion who are prejudiced against another race/creed/religion anywhere you go. Fortunately in Hawaii, like everywhere else in the world that I've traveled, most people are not this way and more often than not, you will be treated in the same manner that you treat them.

Incidentally, the Hawaiian word you are referring to is "haole" which most dictionaries translate into meaning "stranger" or "visitor". I've never seen or heard anyone translate it into meaning "without a soul". I believe you may be referring to the Chinese word for caucasian ("Gweilo"), which is very derogatory.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:09   #28

Gwei - loh has nothing to do with soul. It is two words meaning " white devil ".

I don't care what school you went to - haole is an insult just like gweiloh and farang.
Old 26-03-2012, 03:12   #29

I'm no expert on Chinese, but here's what Wikipedia has to say on the subject: Gweilo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 26-03-2012, 03:18   #30

They are being polite.

Tags
hawaii