Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 07:55   #1

Live Aboard in Cabo San Lucas

Hello all...

First off I would like to say I am new to the cursing community but very excited. In the next few months I am looking to purchase a 40ish foot power boat. Grew up sailing but would never have enough company to make a sail boat worth it.

Basically I am wondering if anyone can offer me some insight into living aboard my boat half the year in Mexico and some things to expect. The other half of the year will be spent working back in Canada.

Just some background... I am a single 29 year old male, fairly experienced in boats but not in ocean going boats and not this size. Mostly a 30 footer.

Any advice in the purchase of my boat and cool places to visit around cabo would be greatly appreciated as well

Thank you in advance.
Arl798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 08:10   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Cabo San Lucas is extremly overpriced and is avoided by cruisiers. It caters to sport fishing, tourist, and condos.
I'd use, as my baee, either La Paz or Mazetlan. Many boatowners spend their entire cruising experience in the Sea of Cortez.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 08:20   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Welcome to the forum.

The reason most of us have boats is so that we can get away from places like Cabo San Lucas.

The great majority of recreational boats moored in Los Cabos are sportfishers. That's an entirely different crowd than cruisers, for the most part. You'd probably get an entirely different appraisal of Cabo San Lucas on a sportfishing site than you'll get on a cruiser's forum.

(Not that some of our members don't fish, of course. But it tends to be more of a subsistence thing among cruisers. It's a whole different scene in Los Cabos.)
Old 29-01-2011, 09:19   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat
I agree with others. Cabo was once a sleepy little fishing village but no longer. Its a mega destination with the prices to go with it. Sounds like you maybe visited Cabo, liked it and said "thats where Im going" which is admirable. But there are MANY other places in the Sea of Cortez that would probably be better for a 40foot motor yacht, live aboard lifestyle. Particularly on the Baja side (La Paz, Loreto, Rosarito, Mulege, Santa Rosalia, and Bahia de Los Angeles) but San Carlos on the mainland. I've been to them all-many times. I love Cabo but not for what your proposing. I suggest you have a Hi and See Ya Later beer and shot at Sammy Hager's Cabo Wabo. Then head north. Good Luck.
Old 29-01-2011, 09:21   #5

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
2nd most expensive city in Mexico. About like Marina Del Rey in price.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 09:43   #6

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
Last time I was in Cabo it was $130/night for a 40 ft boat; longer term slips were full and also pricey. Plus the hurricanes at least brush Cabo regularly. Marinas at LaPaz (Costa Baja), Mazatlan (El Cid, Marina Mazatlan) and Puerto Vallarta (Paradise Village) are pretty good hurricane holes with reasonably priced "summer" slips. Even Barra de Navidad is more reasonable.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:33   #7

Thank you all for your insight. I do love cabo as I have been there many many times. I have looked into prices and realized there were a fair bit more than allot of places. My thing is that I work in the oil field in Canada and need to fly home at a moments notice to be able to sustain this life style. Cabo has daily flights all year and PV does as well which would be a good option as well I guess.

Any other insight besides money would be appreciated
Arl798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 12:56   #8

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
If that's the way you plan to live, then Paradise Village ( Paradise Village Marina - World-Class Berthing Facilities in Puerto Vallarta Mexico ) in Nueva Vallarta would be a good choice. You get access to the Resort and shopping center there as well a being able to join the Vallarta Yacht Club on the premises. And Banderas Bay is the best hurricane hole on the West coast of Mexico. Easy local bus to popular spots like Pta Mita, La Cruz, and downtown PV and the airport. Lots to do in the area. Besides the rates on the site, they usually have an "all summer special" for people leaving their boats there during the hurricane season so there is a community there to do things like watch your boat while you are gone. Also the Marina manager Dick Markie is a very well known and conscientious ex cruiser. I know several people who have Summered there more than once; I only stayed there for a month in season. Just be sure to have air conditioning for the Summer, either built in or portable. But that is true for most of Mexico.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote