Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2016, 08:36   #31

Re: Live Aboard and Long Range Sailing Entertainment

There are several email lists where free and .99 books are listed for Kindle and other devices. I have read many of these over the years, and been really surprised at both the variety and the quality of the writing. You can't go around at those prices and you can save a ton of them to read off line.
tripkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 08:49   #32

Boat: Liberty 458

Kindle, movies and tv shows, maintenance, drawing and running our tech business.

Our primary requirement is nothing that needs AC power, shore power or a connection to land.

Once on the water nature tends to dominate our time. Flora, fauna, weather, etc.

Once we start cruising full time then academic research will tend to dominate my spare time.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 09:29   #33

Boat: Boatless

Alcohol

(I'm kidding but struck me as funny) 😝 (Sort of) 😉

And chasing my wife around.......every now and then she lets me catch her.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 10:47   #34

Boat: Hunter 30

There's always slap and tickle with the first mate.
sailm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 11:41   #35

Boat: Hunter 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Music and books. After nature, that is.

Oh, and watching people (try to) anchor!

Priceless: Oh, and watching people (try to) anchor!
JD-Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 11:53   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

There's a boat ramp across from the marina that we can see easily from the cockpit. Friends come over in the summer afternoons on the weekend to watch the people at the ramp. From drunk girls missing the whole dock when stepping off the boat to fighting to get in and out of the water... better than TV and it only costs beer.
Old 27-12-2016, 12:16   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post

(...)

It's better to spend a little time and plan how you're going to fill that time and need for structure.
I am 100% with you. Or else 99%, if we allow for my different and opposite attitude to planning (my retirement or my leisure time).

Maybe this is why people who need structures always seem bored early while those improvising hard seem to never stop, till we drop?

Playing in the impromptu band gives you so much flexibility that when the noise of your hard working days stops, you simply turn your attention and effort from one pleasant distraction to another. Nowadays there are so many things to do and try that when you get bored at Z you move on to A again hardly realizing you have ever been there. (Age helps here too, sure) ;-)

Plan less, live more?

Just an idea. But no idea if there is any research or proof this could be the case.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 12:26   #38

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Odyssey View Post
Priceless: Oh, and watching people (try to) anchor!
+1!

Hahaha - yes - free entertainment. At times received, at other times provided ...

;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 14:45   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

When you have been cruising a very long time and all your credit cards have expired a whole new game begins.

It is a rather old game called FETCH. But it is infininty more complicated.

Fetch involves getting money and goods from point A to point B.

90% of your cruising time becomes occupied with proofs that you are really you!

Found an item on Ebay? Great. But how do you get it paid for and shipped to a remote island in the Pacific at a rate you can afford quickly?

Ebay wont let you pay for it with an expired credit card.

Paypal wont allow you to log in from Philippines

Until you pass 20 question test on international call. Have you ever lived on one of the following streets Wisconsin, Park, Summit, or none of the above. If you fail these questions you can retake test in 24 hours.

Shippers will not allow you to send to an address not on your credit card

Virtual credit card wont accept money without seeing you in person

You go to Globe central office a days travel away and learn one and only one person trained to confirm identity and wont be back for two days. Three hour wait in line!

Freight forwarder demands $2 direct deposit in BDO bank a days travel away for Loyalty Card

BDO demands $1 fee for making deposit

Pretending your new virtual credit card is freight forwarder address okay! But PayPal demands you supply secret code they send to virtual credit card statement you will never see

Meanwhile computer is updating Windows 10 so far has consumed 7 gigabytes of bandwidth which are purchased 500 mg at a time. 15 updates! You are hung on two updates that are huge and restart every tine you log on.

Buying bandwidth requires trip to town and most stores sell only small amounts. Who in the world needs gigabytes?

Windows update consumes house bank battery charge and has wasted days and days

PayPal places hold on bank transfer and implementing eCheck to provide customers with security and so add one week delay

Meanwhile engine apart and damper plate needed to safely move vessel away as Super Typhoon approaching Philippines

Your bank demands password change and you now have different passwords for:

Bank, ebay, paypal, freight forwarder, cell phone, wifi network to computer, computer password, cell phone carrier password, virtual credit card,

Oh... Did I mention you already physically checked every supplier in Philippines for damper plates with 26 splines?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 15:24   #40

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

keep ourselves entertained sailing / set 2 boat maintenance tasks a day / 2 terabyte of ebook storage with movies occasionally / even listen to talking books while on watch / recently watching Sydney - Hobart / Perpetual Loyal won line honours / following Hugo Boss running 2nd in the Vende Global race / and the dinghy needs washing again / then there are always other people making interesting mistakes to learn from / when in range of internet there is a website called Cruisersforum.com that keeps us entertained
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 16:27   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripkirk View Post
There are several email lists where free and .99 books are listed for Kindle and other devices. I have read many of these over the years, and been really surprised at both the variety and the quality of the writing. You can't go around at those prices and you can save a ton of them to read off line.

I just go to the Kindle store on my Android tablet and search on "Free". Or if I'm in the mood for a specific genre, something like "Free Crime". I generally download half a dozen or so each visit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 19:54   #42

Boat: 32 Rival

Maintenance First, then Banjo.......
Old 28-12-2016, 00:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so, when you have no interwebzzz, how does one use a kindle???

there are marinas with book exchanges once into no interwebzzzville.
Hi
To compensate for the Kindles small storage I load up a few thousand books on my lap top and transfer them as needed to it .
Books take up too much room .
Sure , there are some books that I can't get on Kindle so then I buy the physical book .
I do miss actually holding the book , which is strange , but not enough to go back to that way of reading .
Also the Kindle is back lit for reading in poor light , wonderful .

Regards
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 01:23   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

What do you do at home? Watch TV all day? for us today it is blowing like snot and trying to rain so I will check emails, facebook and this forum, then address some envelopes to send packages to friends we met this summer, then check the berths for condensation, then do a bit of fiction reading, start writing a new diatribe about the Black Sea, work on a OpenCPN map, begin research on 2017 sailing season destinations, then watch SkyNews and Al Jazeera news in the evening on the computer then watch a couple of tv series on the computer then bed - wow sounds exhausting reading all I am doing today - I think I should rest right now
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 03:57   #45

Boat: FP ORANA 44

big deal for me in the 3 months of winter on our boat, have many kindle books, real books, downloaded content both educational and entertainment. T-mobile allows streaming of netflix everywhere and does not charge for txting or data. pair it with a computer or tablet to watch content. cell service almost everywhere w t-mobile to 3 or more miles offshore, for wifi get local wimax modem + wifi extender on mast for 5-10 miles wifi. can really stay connected like now in St Martin as I write. also must have whatsapp almost everyone local uses it in lieu of txting or calling. way to work and play extends time offshore. pam of ISOLA 44 ft cat.
sailorgirl1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, sail, sailing