Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2009, 12:08   #1

Little Help, Please, with the Beginning Startups

Hello,
I'm sure this question has been asked in many diffrent ways and forms. I just cant seem to find what I am looking for so here it goes.
I thankyou for your patience and advice in advance

In my post in the meets and greets, My wife and I are deciding to leave life behind in california and buy a sailboat in florida and hang on the hook for ahwile leaving the land behind for ahwile (If not longer) and start a new fresh life. I have searched many threads, input many re-aranged words into goole search but keep coming up less than short on the answers I am trying to find.

Our friends are far and few in between and family we just dont want to burden and frankly not sure how we can use a relatives address in another state.

The question is without friends and family and using there addresses how does one plan on living aboard. Other than a mailing service, dont u still have to have a permanent residence to register your boat, or even the car we are bringing along and the matter of the driver license into a new state?? ( and for u funny guys, no !! were not bringning the car on the boat)

So we buy a boat ( which the seller doesnt care how you get the thing registered, just give me the money) then what. Whats the next step in registering if your residence is on the hook at whatever lat and longitude ??

Hmm, I hope I made sense out of this, LOL, still a newcomber !

Thanks
Dwight
newcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 15:10   #2

nevermind, found what i was looking for.

New this would happen after I posted the message.
newcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 17:34   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hey Newcomber,
Tell us what you found. There might be someone else out there with the same question but afraid to ask.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 16:12   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Even though newcomber found his answer, I think I'll respond to the general question. My wife and I have lived aboard in Florida since 1972 without ownership of any residence ashore. We came to the conclusion that we have the greatest opportunity at marinas or moorings if we keep a single residential address that is not associated with a marina. For many years we kept a PO Box, but this doesn't suffice as a residence. For the last nine years we have used St. Brendan's Isle & that service address is functioning on our driver's license, passports, voter's registrration, etc. This may be only one of the services that can establish your residence, but this has done well for us. We continue cruising up and down the East Coast with most of our time in Florida. There is little or no question about being accepted at a monthly rate in a marina that "doesn't allow" liveaboards if you're not attempting to establish the marina as your residence. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 16:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
never mind, found what i was looking for.
New this would happen after I posted the message.
It happens! Putting the question down in writing helps. Answering your own questions is not a problem - good answer! You should have posted the question too. Other people come along and you need to share to get back anything too. Sooner or later the questions get harder. It's OK to come back and wait for an answer too. Perhaps it is a sign you are getting the hang of things. It helps if that happens a lot.

Welcome aboard!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote