Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 12:37   #1

Limited Liveaboard Slips in Vancouver - Is This a Feasible Plan ?

Ladies and gents,

I'm new to the boating/liveaboard lifestyle and have been seeking liveaboard slip rental in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area for quite a while now.

I'm sure everyone's heard all the grousing about the limited liveaboard mooring opportunities available in the lower mainland.

What I was wondering was...is it just too much of a hassle to moor at a non-liveaboard marina - moor your boat there when you need to come ashore say in the morning, and pull out every evening and anchor close by so that you aren't violating any terms of agreements with your marina?

And is there any marinas in this specific area where this could be done with convenient anchorage close by?

Thank you for all your input!

Rob
Carogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 13:36   #2

Boat: Graham Radford 415
Re: Limited liveaboard slips in Vancouver - is this a feasible plan?

Hi, I'm a liveaboard in Richmond and we're currently looking for a new marina in the area (due to some problems with new owners here), only an hour a go I was looking up marinas in the area and texting my husband the phone numbers to enquire.

It was my understanding from our conversation just now that North Vancouver has by-laws on not allowing liveaboards there, but Vancouver, Richmond etc is fine.

Whether or not it's a hassle is I guess down to your situation. Have you heared of Shelter Island marina in Richmond? I'm about 1KM up river from there and pay HALF of what Shelter Island charge. We found this place simply by taking a drive along the river, calling into every marina we come across.

I guess what I'm getting at is maybe a non-liveaboard marina should be your final option, take a look for some liveboard places here first =)
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 18:27   #3

Re: Limited liveaboard slips in Vancouver - is this a feasible plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post
Hi, I'm a liveaboard in Richmond and we're currently looking for a new marina in the area (due to some problems with new owners here), only an hour a go I was looking up marinas in the area and texting my husband the phone numbers to enquire.

It was my understanding from our conversation just now that North Vancouver has by-laws on not allowing liveaboards there, but Vancouver, Richmond etc is fine.

Whether or not it's a hassle is I guess down to your situation. Have you heared of Shelter Island marina in Richmond? I'm about 1KM up river from there and pay HALF of what Shelter Island charge. We found this place simply by taking a drive along the river, calling into every marina we come across.

I guess what I'm getting at is maybe a non-liveaboard marina should be your final option, take a look for some liveboard places here first =)
I haven't been able to find liveaboard with availability thus far, but I'll check upriver to the place you found (I don't suppose you could share the name of the place so I don't have to search for it? )

I guess I'm itching to do something, but I don't want to buy a boat until I know I have a way to make living on it work first. That's why I asked if doing things as outlined above was something you experienced boaters could comment on if it were feasible, or if you could see it as being too much a hassle?
Carogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 04:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Limited Liveaboard Slips in Vancouver - Is This a Feasible Plan ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Carogan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:10   #5

Boat: Graham Radford 415

You might want to check out my latest thread before considering coming here - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ons-87907.html

With the problems I'm having at my marina right now, I honestly couldn't recommend anyone coming here, plus I think we're full as we're expecting a sailboat any day. However at the rate everyone is trying to get out of here, there'll be plenty of room here soon I'm sure.
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:41   #6

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carogan View Post

What I was wondering was...is it just too much of a hassle to moor at a non-liveaboard marina - moor your boat there when you need to come ashore say in the morning, and pull out every evening and anchor close by so that you aren't violating any terms of agreements with your marina?

Rob

Ya know.....I never thought of doing it this way. Of course, I am in a little different area than you...so I can't make a suggestion for your area....but I can definitely see something like this being an option in the Chesapeake Bay for sure! I look forward to seeing what other people have to say.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 14:32   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Have you tried Captain's Cove Marina just at the south end of the tunnel at Ladner? At least that is what it was called when my boat was there.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard