Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 10:00   #46

Boat: Maxi 77
Too much english, I even answered my phone in english haha

I will stop here for today. The pub is calling my name
I´ll attach some pics for those of you who don´t know the Maxi 77 and
if you´re still not tired of my postings, I´ll get right back on it tomorrow.
For now, fair winds and have a nice saturday evening
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	19947   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	19948  

Click image for larger version

Name:	S4300003.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	19949   Click image for larger version

Name:	S4300006.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	19950  

KillerBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12   #47

Before pub, oc I´ll take the time to reply to all of you that bother reading my posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Well of course you have my complete attention! Welcome to CF fellow Maxi owner. Although some people will think we have 77 foot boats and I just let them think that way - Ha, ha.

Here in Singapore we have about 9 Maxi77s and a Maxi 100. Most have had the diesel engine removed and have a little outboard on the transom. Ours is pretty much original.

There were only a few actually imported and most of them here were made in Singapore.

Translating the posts seems like hard work but so far they are very interesting.

It is interesting how our perspective changes over the years. In Sweden the maxi was considered a family cruising yacht!

Here are some brochure clips. I have a couple of more I have never scanned in including some newspaper articles.

Also I think it is "Maxi-Sordona" or something like that that still has a few items in their catalog. I would love to get a bowsprit and swim platform.
Wow... didn´t think that Maxiboats are so widely spread. It´s a nice boat and even though, as you say, perspective changes over the years it´s still a fairly well planned boat, for it´s size and even by more modern measurements. How does it perform when the sea gets rough?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:13   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti' Punch View Post
I love it, please keep up the posts. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

My pleasure
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
helpful hint f or cleaning pots and pans--tie a string/line to the handle and then pitch overboard-- is easily retrieved!!! less pricey for replacement, unless ye wanted to replace all anyway!!!
i lived on a 26 ft islander for 2-3 yrs-- was a gas--i am no in a 41 ft formosa--loving it!! congratulations on your lifestyle-- sounds like you are enjoying it a lot!!

ps--beautiful pictures!!!
Thanks on the congrats, hints and photo comment and yes. I really do enjoy the way I live. Nothing beats it. Well, at least nothing I know of
Old 09-10-2010, 10:23   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4900bruce View Post
thank you for sharing your adventure with us . I admire your positive attatude
Thanks. Well, w/o a positive attitude not much would be accomplished, on a boat or anywhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
Welcome and also live on boat.Enjoying posts.marc
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteLost View Post
These are great posts. Pace yourself on the translations, since I'd (selfishly) hate to be deprived of the entirety of their content! Your translations skills are superb, by the way. No criticisms here.
Haha, I´ll just leave out the boring everyday stuff that is of little or no interest to the topic itself. Like replies offtopic in the original thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
I agree with everything everyone else has said - well done! Now, where do you plan to cruise to now you have got the hang of things? When I was a kid we sailed from England to Kiel then through the canal to Copenhagen and back - magic!
A trip round south sweden is planned for next year. Acronn Vanern down through Gota Alv to reach Gothenburg. Then probably over to Denmark and back to round Swedens southmost point, then head upwards to Stockholm and through Gota Kanal across Lake Vattern and then out back onto Vanern. At first I wasn´t sure, but since everyone keeps telling me that the sea is far from as ugly as Vanern can get when it comes to waves I´m starting to consider this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjadows View Post
Awesome!

All I need to say
Lol, good to hear you like it

Good thing this... the Multiquote
Old 09-10-2010, 18:58   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Wow... didn´t think that Maxiboats are so widely spread. It´s a nice boat and even though, as you say, perspective changes over the years it´s still a fairly well planned boat, for it´s size and even by more modern measurements. How does it perform when the sea gets rough?
I think you stated it very well in an earlier post regarding the trip with your brother. The maxi77 is very solid at +2500kg and only 26 feet.

I have sailed many times through thunderstorms and medium seas. I furl the genny to 80% and take one reef in the main and I am very comfortable in 30-40kts wind.

The boat has never "surprised" me and when the sails are full is well hardened up. It is an excellent beginner's boat and very forgiving.

Here is a recent video crossing the Singapore straits. We were reaching at about 6.5 kts.

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 20:03   #52

Boat: PETERSON 44
Any thought to condensation around ports and hatches. A layer of jiffy foam or such helps anything for dehumidification would be good too.

Alla trodde att kondens runt hamnar och luckor. Ett lager av jiffy skum eller sådant hjälper något för avfuktning skulle vara bra också.Listen
Read phonetically
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Any thought to condensation around ports and hatches. A layer of jiffy foam or such helps anything for dehumidification would be good too.

Alla trodde att kondens runt hamnar och luckor. Ett lager av jiffy skum eller sådant hjälper något för avfuktning skulle vara bra också.Listen
Read phonetically
Hahahaha, Google Translator may be good at something.. but sure no good at translating english to swedish I´ll translate the first sentence back manually, so you can see what you wrote

Everybody thought that condensation around marinas and hatches.

But to answer your question re condensation: There has been virtually no condensation after I installed a couple of small fans from a computer, into the 2 wardrobes. Before I did that, the clothes that were in contact with the hull got a bit messy.. But after fixing proper air circulation the only place that gets wet from condensation is the forward most stowage compartment but since I only keep a water bag in there, it´s no big problem. It´s not even insulated, so there´s a reason it gets moist there. 24 C inside the boat, and maybe 2-3 C in the water in wintertime and around 20 below zero C in the air outside, it´s bound to be some reaction I think. Both the skylight and the entry hatchets have their own insultaion as well, with dual layers of 1 inch insulation
Old 10-10-2010, 08:22   #54

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I just got done living aboard an 18 ft boat for an entire summer. : ( It was actually awesome.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:30   #55

Nov 18, 2009

Getting colder by the day now. Think I wont make it out of the marina anymore this season. Freezing temps every night, so that every morning theres a thin layer of ice in the whole marina, except around my boat. Some heat must be leaking out from below the waterline, cose there´s open water around 3 inches all around the boat.
Frost on the skylight this morning, so added insulation foam to it too. Too bad it gets darker though, but I attached the foam using velcro (what a wonderful invention hehe) so I can remove it whenever it gets too dark during the days. Had to turn on the floor heating this morning too. Now it´s nice and warm again

Headline for this post should of course be DEC 18, 2009 and nothing else
Old 10-10-2010, 08:33   #56

Boat: PETERSON 44
thats funny see I think it works great
There is a lot of condescending around marinas
Sounds like you got things well in hand. Read North to the night the author near froze himself into his bunk in one mishap. Not that its your worry just a good read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBoo View Post
Hahahaha, Google Translator may be good at something.. but sure no good at translating english to swedish I´ll translate the first sentence back manually, so you can see what you wrote

Everybody thought that condensation around marinas and hatches.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41   #57

Dec 19, 2009

Wow... that was fast.
Woke up and the entire marina is covered with 1 inch of ice. Time to go icefishing any day now
Woke up cos it was friggin FREEZING cold inside the boat. Turned out there was a power outage on half the marinas elecrical outlets. Turned on the diesel heater and started the engine to move to another pier, with working electric power. It was no major problem to break the ice but what do I do if this happens again? Maybe with 3 inches of solid ice that I wont be able to crush.. hmmm oh well, I´ll get a mobile generator if that happens. But it´s rare with power outs here thankfully
Old 10-10-2010, 08:53   #58

dec 21, 2009

Only on rare occasions has the temp been above -10C during the past 2 weeks. The ice is growing thicker and thicker too and now it´s just around 1 decimeter (appx 5 inches) and it holds my weight all the way outside the marina.. but just outside the wave breaker it wasnt that strong.. haha. This winters first walk through is a fact

Have started a 230V powered "bilge pump" with a huge blast.. lowered it down next to the rudder and attached it to a pole that I then clamped to push pit. Now I have a huge circle of open water around my boat.. good to know the rudder wont take any damage as the ice eventually leaves,
The damage isn´t done by the ice as long as it´s sitting in one place so to say, but the danger occurs when large pieces of it breaks up and starts to move and crack around any utstanding parts, like my rudder
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06   #59

Jan 5, 2010

Last week we have had an average temp of -13 C (8.6 F), coldest was -22 C (-7.5 F) and when it was really hot outside it was a stunning... -6 C (21 F)
The ice is heavy and thick where my pump wont interfere. Fog is rising like.. I don´t know what, it looks weird anyway, from the open water. Donald Duck has moved in there together with his family. Lots of ducks swimming around and knocking on the hull every morning to get some bread.

All and any possible fear I may have had before the ice age are completely gone. I worried about not being able to keep the heat.. but at -22C (-7.5 F) outside, I have a comfy +23C (74F) inside. I worried a bit about freezing damages to any through hull valve, but they stay open and are being used every day. I start the engine every week too, to keep it happy
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17   #60

Jan 9, 2009

Media reports this to be the coldest winter since 1966.. brrrr, glad I don´t live in a cold house
The guy at the pizza shop sounded a bit doubting when I ordered delivery to the marina.. 3rd pier, you´ll see where I´ve shoveled away the snow..
Had to convince him I wasn´t joking haha. But so far so good. No major problems of any kind. Worst prob is to get rid of all the snow that falls on the cockpit tent. Any snow on deck is of good though, since it gives me even better insulation. Coldest day so far is -31 C (-24F) Like living in Alaska or something. Ice getting close to 50 cm thick. Cars and skidoo´s out there every day. One guy parked his pick up truck on the same spot he keeps the boat in the summer... weird haha.

Tags
maxi 77, Sweden