Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2020, 15:11   #1

Boat: 1972 C&C 27
Lieveaboard marinas near Tampa/St. Pete or possibly Miami

Hello all,

I've just bought a nice little C&C 27 with trailer that I'd like to use as a liveaboard eventually. Can anyone recommend a liveaboard marina in the area that hopefully wouldn't have a long wait to get in? Blind Pass Marina in St. Pete said they can get me in on the first of Dec, but they're taking a long time to answer my emails so I'm trying to formulate a backup plan if that falls through. I've been calling around also of course, but just wanted to see if anyone here has a recommendation since this community has always shown itself to be helpful and knowledgeable in the past.

I'm planning on staying somewhat near Sarasota for now because I have family here, but I'd like to migrate over to Miami at some point, and then start cruising the east coast. I just don't have a lot of experience yet so I figure the safe path of staying near family that I can stay with in case of emergency is a good idea, plus I'd expect to have to wait even longer to a liveaboard slip near Miami. I can work my remote IT job from anywhere, so location is pretty flexible.

Thanks for looking!
aDemilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 16:01   #2

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Lieveaboard marinas near Tampa/St. Pete or possibly Miami

You could try Gulfport Municipal Marina on the Gulf side of St Pete, St Pete's Vinoy Marina, Bradenton's Twin Dolphins, Palmetto's Regatta Point Marina, Sarasota's Marina Jack's (liveaboards allowed on mooring balls), Venice Marina below Sarasota. I think St Pete Muni has a relatively long waiting list.
Old 19-11-2020, 09:29   #3

Thanks, you mentioned a few that I hadn't come across yet while searching online, so I will try those!
Old 20-11-2020, 08:01   #4

The small marina just inside the Venice inlet is Crow's Nest and further down the channel is Fisherman's Wharf Marina. I think it's going in the wrong direction you indicated, but above Gulfport, there is Clearwater Municipal Marina.
Old 20-11-2020, 08:29   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
The small marina just inside the Venice inlet is Crow's Nest and further down the channel is Fisherman's Wharf Marina. I think it's going in the wrong direction you indicated, but above Gulfport, there is Clearwater Municipal Marina.
I've stayed at every marina mentioned here. Crows Nest does not allow liveaboards, neither does Clearwater Municipal. Fisherman's Wharf does and has great access to the Gulf of Mexico. But of course is farther south.

Your best bet without a wait or waiting list is probably Regatta Pointe. However, if you like to sail in open waters, it is an hour trip down the Manatee River to open water.

Twin Dolphin, across the river probably has slips, but I've heard that they raised their fees after their remodel.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 19:47   #6

I'm waiting on a call back from Regatta pointe. The person I spoke with said there should be no wait, but that the shortest boat length they allow for liveaboards is '30, so it may not work out.

Twin Dolphin quoted me a price of $1000 per month and has a wait.

Blind Pass seems like they will be able to get me in, but I'm now a little apprehensive about it as I'm seeing a lot of horror stories in their reviews about the harbor master being shady and strong tidal currents there making docking excessively difficult. I may take a chance as the lease is only two months and I love the location, but I will keep looking at alternatives as well.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!
Old 04-12-2020, 08:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

Farther south is Burnt Store Marina on Charlette Harbor. Good little marina and good sailing on Charlette Harbor.

We stayed at Vinoy Marina in St. Pete for a couple of months. Good little marina, great location in downtown, access to Vinoy Hotel, but only allows liveaboard for 60 days. Also not well protected from strong easterly winds. Can be VERY rock and roll!

Note...the wind often blows from the east in Florida!!
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 13:33   #8

Boat: Southern Cross 39

We spent 4 months at Regatta Point last year, and enjoyed it. Good for getting deliveries, great facilities & friendly live-aboard folks.
mabowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 16:41   #9

You could try Snead Island which is off the Manatee River before you get to either Regatta Pointe or Twin Dolphins. They have a small marina with their boatyard. Mark Stillwell mentioned Charlotte Harbor. If that's not too far, besides Burnt Store (which is a little isolated), there's Fisherman's Village Marina just outside of the town of Punta Gorda. You mentioned problematic currents. There's no problem with currents at or near slack tide.
Old 10-12-2020, 20:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDemilich View Post
I'm waiting on a call back from Regatta pointe. The person I spoke with said there should be no wait, but that the shortest boat length they allow for liveaboards is '30, so it may not work out.
Clarify with them that 30í isnít the minimum for pricing, not the actual minimum LOA they allow. They might just want to charge you for an extra 3í.

Or rig a 3í bowsprit.
flightlead404 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 20:27   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
You could try Snead Island which is off the Manatee River before you get to either Regatta Pointe or Twin Dolphins. They have a small marina with their boatyard. Mark Stillwell mentioned Charlotte Harbor. If that's not too far, besides Burnt Store (which is a little isolated), there's Fisherman's Village Marina just outside of the town of Punta Gorda. You mentioned problematic currents. There's no problem with currents at or near slack tide.
Wow, Snead Island has a really cool location, I will give them a call tomorrow to see if they allow liveaboards. From the pictures it looks like they wouldn't have all the necessary facilities, but I like the idea of being right at the mouth of the river.

Regatta Pointe said they will let me rent me out a '30 slip, but they require full hull insurance and $500k liability, and I'm waiting on an insurance survey so I'm not sure how much more that would end up costing than liability only for a boat from 1972.

I'm thinking I want to head to Miami after about three months in the Tampa area, then hopefully make it up to the Chesapeake before it starts getting really hot. If anyone can recommend a liveaboard marina near Miami that would have a waiting list shorter than three months, I'd be thrilled to hear about it! I realize this might be a long shot due to how popular Miami is.

Thanks again to you all for the excellent advice. Once I'm more experienced I hope I can repay this community by helping some other newbies like myself.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:00   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

[QUOTE=aDemilich;3293749]Wow, Snead Island has a really cool location, I will give them a call tomorrow to see if they allow liveaboards.[QUOTE]

My boat was in Snead for two years............. They don't allow liveaboards...
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 13:47   #13

You may be able to negotiate acceptance with Snead Island Boat Works to stay in their marina, because you intend a relatively short and well-defined stay. They permitted us to stay on our boat there for some weeks, because their yard was doing work for us. They have a bathroom and shower facility but no laundromat. Otherwise, just at the mouth of the Manatee River is Blenker Boatworks and Marina. I know nothing of their liveaboard policies or what facilities are available. But, it's a rustic place.
Old 12-12-2020, 13:51   #14

For Miami area, you could try Crandon Park Marina or Coconut Grove Sailing Club. Crandon Park has both slips and mooring balls, but I think CGSC only has the latter. Availability depends on timing. It gets crowded with boats staging to go to the Bahamas early in the year and also in the summer for hurricane season.
Old 13-12-2020, 20:13   #15

Boat: Allmand 31

Give Miami Yacht Club, Watson Island a call 305 377 nine eight seven seven.
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, miami