Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 23:10   #31

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Laundry Aboard While on the Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
Put your clothes on the floor of the shower and get double duty using the water and soap to bath while you stomp on the clothes.

Also there is nothing better that the local Lavanderia available in every town in Mexico.
Mostly right, but there was one in Melaque which dried all our stuff over an open fire.
Everything smelled like burning garbage.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 23:15   #32

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

wryanddry,

How about turning it 90 degrees with a swivel eye on the forward end with those blades only on the aft end a la propeller shaped ?

You could tow it with one line.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 00:08   #33

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryanddry View Post
By trade I am an industrial designer. I was considering this problem and read several posts on this and other sites with solutions ranging from a black bin liner with ammonia/water left to slosh around to buying and installing a purpose designed washer/dryer. Not able to help myself I came up with this idea. basically it gets towed behind the vessel, spinning on its axis on bearings mounted into each end cap. the paddles bite into the water and cause the pentagon shaped drum to revolve. the non cylindrical shape of the drum enhances the agitation of the waves. One end cap unscrews to afford access to the drum and the entire drum assembly is a concertina type arrangement allowing the unit to collapse. Extended the unit is about 2 ft long and collapses to approx 8 inches. Now I just have to thing of another use for this device because everything on board has to have at least 2 uses. Would anyone buy this? and if so what would you want to pay $US? Suggestions for improvements?
I like the look of it.
The problem is that most livaboards spend 90% of the time on the hook, so this would only be useful 10% of the time.
Some tumbling arrangement while at anchor needs to be available.

I've got no idea if this is idiotic or not, but would there be some way to use wind, maybe utilizing the wind genny's spinning propdrive with appropriate gearing, for half an hour instead of charging batteries.

Just brainstormin...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 00:13   #34

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

Joy and other detergents also not so good for the fishes.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 00:53   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryanddry View Post
By trade I am an industrial designer. I was considering this problem and read several posts on this and other sites with solutions ranging from a black bin liner with ammonia/water left to slosh around to buying and installing a purpose designed washer/dryer. Not able to help myself I came up with this idea. basically it gets towed behind the vessel, spinning on its axis on bearings mounted into each end cap. the paddles bite into the water and cause the pentagon shaped drum to revolve. the non cylindrical shape of the drum enhances the agitation of the waves. One end cap unscrews to afford access to the drum and the entire drum assembly is a concertina type arrangement allowing the unit to collapse. Extended the unit is about 2 ft long and collapses to approx 8 inches. Now I just have to thing of another use for this device because everything on board has to have at least 2 uses. Would anyone buy this? and if so what would you want to pay $US? Suggestions for improvements?

Very interesting concept and I believe there is a market for a device that is user friendly and as you said multifunctional.

Concerns with your present concept.

1….The concertina structure seems to be the weakest stress link in fast or following sea surges.

2….Presentation broadside creates considerable drag and the fins look like it would spin too fast and easily foul with debris.

3….If one side dug in, I think it would start to tumble on the axis, creating a massive twist in the towline

4….Kind of a “spiky” thing which may be difficult to retrieve and hard on topsides.

5….Could not think of a secondary use.

So here is my alternate design for you to improve upon and apply your talents to:

1….Smooth Cone Shape with longitudinal center shaft to reduce drag and stabilize orientation. Removable lid on wide end

2….Slip on propeller ring that wedges and locks integrally with aft end of heavy walled structurally cone.

3….Aft skewed blades to clear debris and control spin speed ( for delicates) Sorry I can’t draw to save my life.

4….Multifunctional uses….

a)…. Agitator blades and top comes off and it can be used as a salt water bucket for slosh downs

b)….Agitator blades and top comes of, unit is reversed with integrally strong towing bridal and used as a quick sea anchor or drogue

Sorry I can’t draw perspectives, but I think you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Washer Sea Anchor .bmp (360.3 KB, 136 views)
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:07   #36
Marine Service Provider

I'm a big fan of anything that doesn't take much space, and especially multi-use items. Based on the responses here, I think I'm going to use the little SS Coleman cooler I have. It's a little bigger than that manual washer, you can close the lid, hold it by the handles and give it a good shake, and it has a drain on the bottom.

Give it a good rinse, and it's great for keeping beer cold for parties or holding any bugs we bag while diving.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster
I'm a big fan of anything that doesn't take much space, and especially multi-use items. Based on the responses here, I think I'm going to use the little SS Coleman cooler I have. It's a little bigger than that manual washer, you can close the lid, hold it by the handles and give it a good shake, and it has a drain on the bottom.

Give it a good rinse, and it's great for keeping beer cold for parties or holding any bugs we bag while diving.
And a great conversation starter, when a buddy comes by on laundry day, reaches into your cooler for a cold one, and pulls out a wet sock.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30   #38
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
And a great conversation starter, when a buddy comes by on laundry day, reaches into your cooler for a cold one, and pulls out a wet sock.
Or a demotivator, when I go to do the laundry, and find the washing machine full of cold ones.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:33   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
DIY bio-degradable laundry soap - DIY laundry soap – video | Living Off the Grid: Free Yourself

I use this, and have used it for several years now. I make 2 gallon batches that last over 6 months for a 3 person family (and costs less than a single box of regular detergent). I prefer Fels Naptha for the bar soap, but as they say in the article, any 'clean' bar soap will due.

Enjoy.
Cool.

I found that where I do have problem washing, plain soap does not help. that's probably because of the greasy elements contained in my sweat.

I found things containing enzymes very efficient, but the last time I could buy them was in NZ and they were Sweden made. We use them regularly in Sweden whenever on the boat. And those well off will also use them everyday in the house.

I will try to find the company's name and post again later.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

This:

Healthier for your Environment | Ecostore

we used while in NZ. I was wrong though - as it is labeled NZ made (much as I can remember next to identical stuff we used earlier in Gothenburg, Sweden, twas made in Sweden ...).

In any case - when such useful gizmos not available, I am ready to make my own soap!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:54   #41

Boat: Tartan 37

Japanese Plastic Washboard Washing Laundry Board #6094 - eBay (item 200529774929 end time Mar-09-11 08:55:43 PST)

Plastic washboard, plunger and a bucket.
IrishLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37   #42

Boat: FP Athena 38

For years we have been lugging laundry in the dinghy to shore. One day I looked on Amazon and saw a small apartment size washing machine for under $200 - so I thought why not! We have a watermaker. It has been fantastic. It has paid for it self already and no more lugging.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:41   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I used one of these... can't find them anymore

ETA: Found it! http://www.amazon.com/ODJOB-OdJob%C2.../dp/B000BPK766

Put a swivel in it and toss overboard
Old 02-03-2011, 10:56   #44

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
When sailing we did laundry one of two ways. For big loads, we put a few gallons of fresh water and Joy in the bottom of a clean dinghy and the sloshing from towing or sitting at anchor for a few hours resulted in very clean cloths. For smaller loads, we just put the clothes in a plastic bag, added enough water and some Joy and put the bag in the dinghy and let it slosh for a few hours. Always worked....

Grunster I really like your idea...but I use a fold up chilly bag instead of a esky (otherwise known as a chilly bin in NZ) simply as I don' t have room for a solid bin. I'm pretty sure it would still work as long as you didn't leave it too long to seep out. The chilly bag (insulated fold up type) I currently use does not leak if liquids spill immediately but does over time.

Delfin - I can see this one working and being practical too with no extra gear needed to make it work.

One question have you ever lost any clothes items overboard from the dinghy?

regards Clare
s/v Ellan Vannin
EllanVannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:08   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Found another source at Sportsman's Guide
Item #WX2-36344

Tags