Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 23:40   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Large Sea Creatures

Way back when I was still fishing Albacore, I thought I had seen a bunch of whales. But last year when Connie and I deliverd a boat from San Diego to Vancouver BC. We passed thru the Marine Reserve area off of Monteray Ca. We saw so many type and size of whales I could not believe it ! Orkas, humps, grays, even a big blue whale! Started out seeing otters eating shell fish on there backs! LOL then the whales started ! I thought I was way past being dumbfounded, but I was that day !!
Old 16-06-2013, 05:07   #17

Boat: contessa 32

In mid Atlantic,as crew on 46' cutter, we scrambled on deck to be astounded by a huge whale keeping pace alongside us,my first thought was :"how easily he could sink us",then looking astern, I shouted out that there was a second whale because I could see a fin breaking the water,the captain simply said: " same whale".
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:16   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailing from san diego down the mexican coast i have seen migrating whales in pods and dolphins and all kinds of awesome sea creatures... is a;ways a beautiful sight to see....is some of the best scenery on earth...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:36   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Large Sea Creatures

+A1....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 05:48   #20

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Every summer we go out to Stellwagen Bank off Cape Cod and just sail in circles while fin whales and humpbacks surface nearby. I've always wanted to drop anchor out there and spend the night listening to them.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 07:12   #21

On a delivery from Hawaii to Calif, I heard my wife scream. It was the only time I had ever heard her scream in fright. A whale shark had surfaced right next to the boat, and she said it was as wide as the 44 foot boat we were on. This was at about 6 AM on a nice sailing day. Many years before that, when I was younger and dumber, and didnt reef early, we were running across Monteray bay in big seas and as close to surfing as a Contessa 26 can get, when some grey whales came near and were surfing the waves. They were having as much fun as we were, and it was a beautiful sight.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 09:34   #22

Boat: 1993 Hunter H28

We have a man recovering from a collision with a Humpback in Northern BC, whale broached onto his bow as he drove his 22 foot up Johnstone Straight at full speed. No word on the condition of the whale but the operator lost part of his jaw and most of his teeth going through the windshield!
eliems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 10:27   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've posted this before, but here is a short video of our encounter with a pair of humpbacks about 40 miles offshore from San Francisco: Whale

We've also seen sperm whales about 300 miles north of Hawaii. This is near the spot in 2006 where a sailboat was rammed and sunk by an angry sperm whale, so we were a little nervous about being so close:
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 10:45   #24

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Here's a different story: We were sailing between Santa Cruz and San Francisco when we saw a whale shark. It was about 30 feet long. Knowing their reputation for gentleness, we came alongside for a look, about 20+ feet away. We had done this many times before. They usually just ignore us and it seems not to bother them. But, this time the shark took a sudden lurch to it's right, directly towards the stern of our boat! I quickly jinkxed to starboard and we avoided contact. If it had hit our rudder it could easily have damaged us! I still like to look at sea life, but I'm a lot more cautious now about getting too close. (Marine mammals, of course, have legal protection and need to be given 100 feet of space, and there are other guidelines. Google "whale watching guidelines" for complete guidelines.)
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 11:13   #25

Well............. with a min length of 40 ft you should have just said whale sightings! Under 40 I have sailed alongside a whale shark twice in the Sea of Cortez, big slow easy going creatures. Then there was the Trident Class sub nearby..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 13:38   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Well............. with a min length of 40 ft you should have just said whale sightings! Under 40 I have sailed alongside a whale shark twice in the Sea of Cortez, big slow easy going creatures. Then there was the Trident Class sub nearby..
Sorry,

Creatures like Squid, Octopus, Kraken, Floating Islands that disappear, Sights that only happen at Sea, Swimming Cows in exuma the bahamas etc.
Something big

I would like to add these to the List
Thanks
wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:41   #27

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

AARRRGG Me ex-wife falls into the big sea creatures category. She used to breech 30 feet into the air when she were feeding on krills. The waves she threw was enormous! That's why I left 'er. Far too dangerous.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 19:32   #28

+1 on Blue Whales. We have quite a number now outside of Redondo Beach in California year round. But I'll never forget my first in the Sea of Cortez-as a biologist, it was on my list of the things I always wanted to see. It was probably
twice the size of boats that sailed by it. Majestic.

Off the boat-Scuba diving with seals (beautiful white fur with pale spots as opposed to dark sea lions) off Coronado Islands-they were larger than us with our long fins. They swam really close. Seemed like they were just curious.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 19:46   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Have had the pleasure of sighting many over the years from Panama to Alaska but what sticks in my mind from many years ago was having a purse seine full of salmon beside the boat and having a pod of killer whales repeatedly charging the bunt of the net trying to break into our catch. Plungers, 30.30's and trying to beat them away with pike poles would not deter them... tore the net to shreds and we spent nearly a week resewing the net. Location was off Village Island near Alert Bay, BC.
Those who work on the water have a wonderful spectacle whenever they travel up and down the Pacific coast. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 20:05   #30

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Only about 12-15' long.
We saw this Mola-Mola or ocean sunfish about halfway between Bermuda and Halifax. We were motoring in flat calm when we saw his fin, stopped and we checked each other out for about half an hour before he swam away.

At the time I had no idea what it was, was thinking an injured whale.

They are reported to be quite friendly, might have gone for a swim with him if I'd known.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3223.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	62674   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3225.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	62675  

NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote