Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 19:00   #1

Landfall 39 by Ron Amy

I had posted this on the ! monohull section but thought I would ask here as well.

Today, 09:05
PwrStkr
I am looking at a Landfall Pilothouse 39 designed by Ron Amy built in Taiwan at Sino American Yacht builders. That and the information from sailboat data is about all I can find on this boat. I would like to know if anybody has knowledge of this model or knows of an owner's group online. The one I am looking at is on an inland lake, curious as to how it got there. This will be a first boat of any size for me, the family will be new to sailing and we are raising two grandchildren ages 14 and 3 so I want a stable platform for them to learn on. I would plan on leaving on the lake until I can find work closer to the coast or back in Louisiana (wife's home state).
I will do a haul and survey, as I do not want a major project but minor work and TLC are well within my skill set.
PwrStkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 20:02   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Landfall 39 by Ron Amy

As with all Taiwan builds, quality can vary enormously from t he start. Then factor in lots of years of use, abuse, and owner peccadilloes. A stringent survey will be a start; be sure that all s/s bits are checked, for Taiwan stainless is highly variable in quality and chain plate failures are not unknown. By this age, deck core problems are very likely, so be sure to check that carefully. On some Taiwan builds, knock-off winches and other mechanical bits were used, and they, if present, are likely to be crappy. And so on...

I've only been aboard one landfall 39. It had been based at Kwajalain atoll for several years with only spotty maintenance, and to be honest, i was not favorably impressed with anything about it. It was a long time ago and the details have escaped my sieve like mind, but that's the impression I was left with. IIRC the owner, departing after a long period of employment on Kwaj, did get her back to the States and then sold her off.

Wish that I could be more upbeat about your prospect, but in your place I'd be very cautious.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 26-03-2024, 17:44   #3

Re: Landfall 39 by Ron Amy

If anyone is still following this post, I am looking at an Amy Landfall 39, which needs some rudder repair. My question: what is the construction of the rudder - material of skin and core?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrStkr View Post
I had posted this on the ! monohull section but thought I would ask here as well.

Today, 09:05
PwrStkr
I am looking at a Landfall Pilothouse 39 designed by Ron Amy built in Taiwan at Sino American Yacht builders. That and the information from sailboat data is about all I can find on this boat. I would like to know if anybody has knowledge of this model or knows of an owner's group online. The one I am looking at is on an inland lake, curious as to how it got there. This will be a first boat of any size for me, the family will be new to sailing and we are raising two grandchildren ages 14 and 3 so I want a stable platform for them to learn on. I would plan on leaving on the lake until I can find work closer to the coast or back in Louisiana (wife's home state).
I will do a haul and survey, as I do not want a major project but minor work and TLC are well within my skill set.
Peter Hansell is offline   Reply With Quote