Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 17:26   #1

Land transportation for cruisers. What are you using?

Hi All,

Been wondering what most people use for land transportation while hopping around (other than their feet of course)....also wondering how they hold up to the elements.

I was looking at ebikes the other day then i saw this and it looked like a perfect solution for someone that lives in minimal space. Its tiny and does 10-20 miles on a charge at 10-20 mph (I don't work for them). https://ecorecoscooter.com/feature-m-series/

What are you using and how does it hold up to the elements?

Thanks!
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 17:33   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Land transportation for cruisers. What are you using?

That thing looks pretty badass.

I have a dahon mariner folding bike that I used for years stateside. Was great for getting exercise and for the extreme sport that is dog biking with a leased squirrel dog.

Left the bike behind for the islands and definitely haven't missed it so far in the bahamas. I think it will depend where you cruise. I've been doing a lot of SUPing recently.

That thing looks pretty badass tho
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:15   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Used to have bikes, finally came to the conclusion that feet (and thumbs) don't rust.
Old 06-04-2016, 20:17   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
Been wondering what most people use for land transportation while hopping around (other than their feet of course)....also wondering how they hold up to the elements.
Pretty much public transport where ever I am -- usually very affordable, holds up very well in the elements and doesn't take up much room on the boat.
Doesn't require (shore) power and allows me to bring shopping home as well.

Old 06-04-2016, 20:42   #5

Boat: Pearson 367

With such narrow handlebars/wheel radius/wheel base, it would be hard to carry provisions and still maintain balance. Meaning with a backpack plus a couple grocery bags it wouldn't be safe. You can do these things with a folding bike much better.

Ebikes are very heavy so they don't really work for cruisers/liveaboards either. A folding bike is a nice middle ground. IMO
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 20:47   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

I found a shaft driven push bike which does not have derailleurs and chains and consequently does not have many serious corrosion problems, I hang it from the solar panel mounting frame and damn the neighbour's concerns with my untidy boat.

I have used push bikes to carry all sorts of things over the years, even my dingy and 4' x 8' sheets of ply, and would not be without one.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 21:23   #7

Boat: Sandibar 35

That e-scoot looks sweet. Don't know how the electrics will hold up to the elements. There is someone here on cruisersforum who uses something similar, and if I remember correctly really likes it.

I have a go-ped (muscle powered) scooter on board. It's not fast but makes a day-long sightseeing trip in a city that much easier on the legs. We also use it for shopping and then just add a basket on the board and push it to the boat. Saves us from carrying bags. There's really nothing much to break or rust, just a couple of bearings really.

Edit: I would definitely prefer a bike, but would then need three and on a 35 ft space is too constrained.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We don't favor devices with heavy batteries that require charging on board. The only items we recharge from our boat are a handheld VHF, a laptop and an electric razor.

We do mange well with a pair of folding Dahon bikes that remain rust free and stored below while underway, but our onshore range with the bikes is usually just within a few miles. Bike baskets and backpacks suit most of our needs.

We sometimes rent scooters or use buses, light rail or taxis and we will rent a car on occasion for a longer trip.

Our greatest aide in transportation has been selecting anchorages or marinas, when we need provisioning, that have all supplies close.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:39   #9

Depends where we are and what we are doing:
- We sold the bikes in the first 2-3 months as we just weren't using them. We wouldn't think twice about walking 2 miles to the store but we wouldn't think to pull the bikes out. Plus everything is uphill from the water.
- Some marinas have courtesy cars. Those are always interesting but a great benefit.
- Rental cars if there is something we want to see or do too far for walking or we needed to do a big grocery run.
- For a while, we were taking our F250 along. We would move 200-300miles till we were someplace interesting, get a slip for a month, then do a one day rental and go pick up the truck from the last marina. It actually worked really nice.
- We've played with public transit but in the USA other than NYC, it's really more of a pain that it's worth. We are hoping with a transition to European cruising, we can make more use of it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:56   #10

Boat: Leopard 40

Feet, public transport, taxies when we have to, sometimes we rent a car. I've looked at bikes and like the idea, but they're not much good for provisioning.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:00   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Mountain Bike with a rack... Sedna has a center cockpit, and the bike is locked to the pushpit. Parts are alloy so it doesn't rust.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:44   #12

Looks like fun to me.

Potholes however are deeper than the wheels. LOL
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
I was looking at ebikes the other day then i saw this and it looked like a perfect solution for someone that lives in minimal space. Its tiny and does 10-20 miles on a charge at 10-20 mph (I don't work for them). https://ecorecoscooter.com/feature-m-series/
The ecoreco scooter is popular with the hipster set as a commute vehicle in San Francisco and surrounds. This year, the adventurous are using the SoloWheel for commuting. With your hands free, I wonder how many groceries could be carried.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:46   #14

I liked 20" bicycles. We used ours far and wide. I did have mountain bikes at one point, but the size, cables etc discouraged us from using them. You get 2 people, groceries, gear, gas and two bikes in a 10.5 ft RIB and you cant move.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:20   #15

Rugger,

The CF is not a good place to get feedback on stand up adult e-scooters as no one here uses them except my wife and I.
We have been using the E-Twow e-scooters for 3 years now and we go everywhere with them. We use a back pack when we get supplies and it works great.
They go 20mph for 20miles and are 23lbs. You can get them for $750.
They have lights, speedo,horn, trip and re-gen braking and regular brake.
They are all aluminum, so they do not rust.

We are in our 60's and have no problem walking 6 miles, but these allow us to cover whole islands without breaking a sweat.

My wife carries her's by herself, so weight is not an issue. They fit in any tiny cubby hole in a boat with ease.

We charge them with solar, so power has never been an issue. We have fast chargers that charge fully in 1.5 hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7270433.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	122208   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-Twow_S2_stairs.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	122209  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7280442.jpg