Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 06:02   #16

Re: Land Transportation do you Keep a Car

Overseas or in the islands, it makes less sense.

If you are moving slowly along the coast with long stops, it works pretty good.

A pickup makes a lot of sense as you can haul stuff and use it as extra storage.

We've asked and marinas have let us leave the truck for a couple weeks at a time as we move to the next long term destination (couple weeks or more) and they have never charged us. For long term storage, we have found between $10-50/month for storage. We have stored with friends and family for free and it worked out great as they had a backup for when thier cars were in the shop.

If you are talking about buying and insuring a new car, it's cheaper to rent but get an old truck that looks ugly but runs good and it's not much.

A couple of additional thoughts:
- Credit card insurance for rentals is typically suplemental not primary so make sure you are covered with a primary insurance or you could be on the hook for a big bill.
- If you go without a car for more than a year, when you come back you are considered a non-driver and your insurance will be thru the roof for 6-12 months, so if you are looking at a single year sabatical, it may be cheaper to keep an old car insured.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
A couple of additional thoughts:
- Credit card insurance for rentals is typically suplemental not primary so make sure you are covered with a primary insurance or you could be on the hook for a big bill. ...................................
It's good advice to be real careful with these choices. My understanding is tha Visa will cover collision (not liability) for up to a 15 day rental in the US (31 days outside US) if you decline the rental company's insurance and you do not have another primary collison policy. This is why I keep a non-owners liability policy.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
It's good advice to be real careful with these choices. My understanding is tha Visa will cover collision (not liability) for up to a 15 day rental in the US (31 days outside US) if you decline the rental company's insurance and you do not have another primary collison policy. This is why I keep a non-owners liability policy.
My understanding is it's not a "VISA" rule but the individual bank that sets the rules, so read the rules and regulations you get from your bank very closely.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:52   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used to commute to my boat from 2,000 miles away. Initially rented cars while I was on the boat but the cost was stupid for the little I actually used it. Bought a Bike Friday (bikefriday.com) for the last 4 years I commuted. Worked out great for accessing anything within 10 miles of the boat and the exercise didn't hurt. With the BART terminal 15 minutes away, could ride the bike over and go anywhere in the Bay Area that BART went. The few times I needed a car, either borrowed or rented but that was precious few times.

Bike Fridays are high end folding bikes with the riding position, gearing and carrying ability for serious riding even for out of shape riders in hilly terrain. They fit in a suitcase that can be turned into a travel trailer. The suitcase lets you check the bike in as luggage then assemble it at your destination and ride to the boat. Worked out perfectly with my boat in Alameda and the Oakland Airport a 1/2 hour bike ride away. There are cheaper folding bikes available but most are not up to more than just short trips on level terrain.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
My understanding is it's not a "VISA" rule but the individual bank that sets the rules, so read the rules and regulations you get from your bank very closely.
Thanks, I'll double check my status with my bank!