Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.18%
No 75 56.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 08:53   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Land home, yes or no?

If you have gone cruising*, did you sell your land home? Did your boat become your only home?

Discussion:

There are many different ways to go cruising. But this is just a simple question:
IF you have gone cruising* (past or present), did you keep a land home, or did you ‘sell it all.’

And just for clarity, many of us keep a land address to receive mail, or for other legal purposes. This is not a land home (for this poll’s purpose).

(*Cruising is defined however you want, but generally refers to living and travelling on a boat for extended periods each year. )
Old 22-03-2019, 09:08   #2
cruiser

Re: Land home, yes or no?

We own a land apartment in our office building. To me, it doesn’t make financial sense when people think cruising has to be an all or nothing commitment... to sell everything and go. Why sell an appreciating asset (house) in exchange for a depreciating liability (boat)?

Especially, when the few folks who are successful at cruising are so vastly outnumbered by the ones who fail and need to return to a land-based lifestyle.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:27   #3

There are pros and cons on all sides of this question. I’m just trying to get hard data on what people actually do.

This question came up in another thread. I thought I knew the answer, but perhaps not…
Old 22-03-2019, 09:32   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

No dirt home for me. Sold everything. If I move back to land I'll probably rent. Cruising has given me itchy feet.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:36   #5

Boat: Boatless at the moment

We sold all our properties in Holland and Germany, paid all our debts and were free to start a new live. This is now about 10 years ago and I am still happy we did. As I'm very against the EU, Schengen, Euro and all the talking of the EU fanatics makes me hope that in my life a NEXIT will happen.
Old 22-03-2019, 09:37   #6
cruiser

You're going to find that mostly single men find selling everything to live on a boat to be a great idea, but not the same feeling from couples who try. Women seem to like the ability to return home for lengthy visits with extended family and grandkids.

The "hard data" means nothing if you don't know the reasons behind the decision or the eventual outcomes. Nearly all the lemmings end up jumping off the cliff, but that doesn't make it the right decision for the ones that did.
Old 22-03-2019, 09:41   #7

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Married for 38 years when we sold the company and our private belongings. In this 10 years I met a few couples who did the same, not one single.
Old 22-03-2019, 09:51   #8

I just celebrated my 31st anniversary. Our boat is our home (but we don’t live on it year round … yet).

Ken, the question is simple. It’s not trying to answer the “why” question. It’s not trying to judge what is right or wrong.
Old 22-03-2019, 09:55   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I just celebrated my 31st anniversary. Our boat is our home (but we don’t live on it year round … yet).

Ken, the question is simple. It’s not trying to answer the “why” question. It’s not trying to judge what is right or wrong.
Then what's the point? Your initial post stated that you wanted a "discussion," did you change your mind?
Old 22-03-2019, 10:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Then what's the point? Your initial post stated that you wanted a "discussion," did you change your mind?
Sorry, the scientist in me. Standard format for a paper.

Sure… we can discuss if you want. You’ve made a few assertions. How do they affect or impact on the basic question: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Old 22-03-2019, 10:04   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There are pros and cons on all sides of this question. I’m just trying to get hard data on what people actually do.

This question came up in another thread. I thought I knew the answer, but perhaps not…
Sold house in London 13 years ago. No regrets, probably didn't make financial sense but sod it, it's only money. Not like it's actually all that important so long as you are happy and not hungry.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:16   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have land homes in three different countries, and wish I had bought an apartment in London when I had the chance.

Nevertheless, I spend more time on the boat than on land, about half the year, and 3000 to 4000 miles of sailing per annum.

There's no "one size fits all" answer to this question. It all depends on how you want to live.

I love being on the boat, and love living somewhere which moves from place to place, but I also love cities and I love my work, so I personally have no desire to cut my ties to land. YMMV!!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:23   #13
cruiser

I've only ever cruised as crew.
Now, I have an excellent labour job. I have 2 low cost houses and an excellent tenant.
Although girlfriend gets seasick, her boy has sinus issues. If planned well I will market the rental to provide us a liveaboard.
My mate loves this house too. He definitely likes the plan. I lose use of an industrial size shed, free electricity, a close bicycle ride to work. But gain.. Less housework, more polishing and inspections. Swims. Kayaking. Sea breeze breathing. An extra 8 km on bicycle. Rent covers upkeep of a glass 40 footer. (Depending upon market I might be the same with big want and learn a different budget)
Health is wealth. That's what I believe. Benefits I hope to achieve are +10 to 15 years in workforce . Get used to keeping her sea worthy and learning her fulcrums. Breathing sea breezes, snorting salt water, staying on rhythms higher than height.
Would be alright taking high point starboard on the bang on 35 tonnes of metal.. Lol. Twilight fantasies. Wondering.... Is golden rule of give way evident in today's society?
Kidding.. Surely boats are the cheapest seaside housing methods with advantage of venture.

One BIG thing that puzzles mind here is..
Only seasickness I've witnessed was that of gentle swell on calm day. Would teaching focus upon fulcrums help ease unsure at abilities of balance such to heal sick of confusion ? I hope so very much.
Nathan
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:41   #14
cruiser

Nathan,

Two words: Meclizine or Zofran when it's really bad.
Old 22-03-2019, 10:46   #15

We sold the house and everything in it. For us this wasn't something we wanted to do for a few seasons, it was to be our new life. Everything we own is on our boat. While the downsizing process wasn't easy, it was extremely freeing.

We did consider using the house as a rental property but that seemed like it would create more pain than it was worth. It's not easy to rent a 4000 sqft, 5 bedroom, 3 bath, plus apartment above the garage home.
apirate is offline   Reply With Quote