Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.18%
No 75 56.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2019, 15:52   #136
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Re: Land home, yes or no?

We have a landed based home as well as the one on the water. Personally would not do it any other way. Got sell the boat sell the boat someday
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 17:46   #137

We have done four major trips of three to five years and always kept our home, but rented it out. Had a couple of good friends that were handymen/contractors to help out with repairs.
The income was welcome and, compared to the income, the necessary replacement of carpets, painting and maintenance costs were small when we returned.
And the house appreciation was more than the rental income.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:20   #138
cruiser

The one thing your poll seems to suggest with barely 100 participants, is that very few on this forum are actually active cruisers.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 18:56   #139

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The one thing your poll seems to suggest with barely 100 participants, is that very few on this forum are actually active cruisers.
Or they couldn't be bothered.

Or they're out somewhere without internet access and not on CF at the moment (that describes us about 70% of the time).

Or they're someplace so nice that CF is their lowest priority (another 25% of the time).
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 19:03   #140

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hard to know what non-answers mean, but I tend to agree with you Ken. I think most people on CF are not (or have not been) cruisers.

I’m not sure what CF membership is, but it is in the many hundreds. This thread has been in the active zone for over a week now, and has 101 votes.

The same outcome was indicated with hpeer's other poll asking about the length of cruising people typically undertook.
Old 29-03-2019, 19:15   #141

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I’m not sure what CF membership is, but it is in the many hundreds.
Mike, I believe the total membership is over 100,000. A few days ago there were over 4700 actively on line at the same time!

It's a damn big group, but only a fairly small fraction are posters at any one time. And I think a fairly small fraction of posters are actively cruising, so we are likely underrepresented.

Jim
Old 29-03-2019, 21:57   #142

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Yes, I kept my home, I designed it, I built it, Its an appreciating assett,
No intention of ever selling it,
I keep all my Cars tractors, Trucks, bikes, RV, workshop, Its also my head office for my company,
Moving out is more a headache than its worth, Its also cheap storage as I own every thing out right,
I retired the day I stepped onto my Cat in Fiji, 55 years of work was enough,
At that time, I couldnt even sail, But I did have 50 years of motor boat Experience, So I wasnt a novice to boats,
When I get my boat back in the water, I still wont be selling, I will rent it out cheaply, more as security than needing the rent for it, I have a lot of money sitting here to leave it vacant for a long period of time, ,
Plus I have a great house to live in,
When I take off again, Its like how long is a peice of string, Maybe two years to sail around OZ, But I might just keep going, Who knows, I can fly any where to go Skiing, One of my hobbies,
Plus once I get too old to sail, I have a place to come back too,
The boat is nearly complete, Just finishing off the internal fittings ready to put back in the water,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat piccy 27-3-2019 001.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	431.0 KB
ID:	188988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat piccy 27-3-2019 002.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	188989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of house 2015.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	188990  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 22:38   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mike, I believe the total membership is over 100,000. A few days ago there were over 4700 actively on line at the same time!

It's a damn big group, but only a fairly small fraction are posters at any one time. And I think a fairly small fraction of posters are actively cruising, so we are likely underrepresented.
Holy Schmolly Jim! … 100k That seems a couple of magnitudes larger than I’d ever guess. I’ve been monitoring the number of online registered users since this thread started, and I have never seen it go above 300, while the “guests” group is alway into the thousands. I assume most of these are bots.

No matter how you slice it, 104 votes is a tiny minority of the total membership numbers here.

Of course, that wasn’t what the poll was trying to answer. But I think I will launch another one to try and get at this question directly. Tomorrow...
Old 29-03-2019, 23:29   #144

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Holy Schmolly Jim! … 100k That seems a couple of magnitudes larger than I’d ever guess. I’ve been monitoring the number of online registered users since this thread started, and I have never seen it go above 300, while the “guests” group is alway into the thousands. I assume most of these are bots.

No matter how you slice it, 104 votes is a tiny minority of the total membership numbers here.

Of course, that wasn’t what the poll was trying to answer. But I think I will launch another one to try and get at this question directly. Tomorrow...
Well, Mike, you are correct: the on-line user number I quoted included "guests", and they can't post, so my data isn't too relevant. My bad!

Sorry to misdirect you! And the 100K number is from memory and could also be wrong... that does happen now and then! But there are a hell of a lot of us on the books, that I am sure of.

Carry on with your research... always interesting to put numbers into our speculations.

Jim
Old 30-03-2019, 01:21   #145

Boat: Volkscruiser

I think Mike a lot of us on this forum are retired cruisers or wannabes that love the fantasy yet cannot get away from the reality of work/family/bills.......
Another reason could be like this link below, and that’s why some people like to keep their finances private.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-...-fraud/5617164
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 05:37   #146
cruiser

I agree with the opinion I have using the translation my mind makes having read above regarding privacy and non cruisers, eg I.
We were cruisers, we used a trailer sailer and we loved hanging out.
Unfortunately, there is corruption regarding the guarding of our civilization. If we don't protect the planet we will be without a life host!
So, 25 years ago give or take, my privacy was removed due to correctly miss read assumptions. I wasn't to make it easy and leave a friend without energy usage nerves yet in my humble opinion there is a lot of excess pollution. Without need to break a lever sometimes a flow system is read as opposing although she's coming around due to the need of her fulcrum and length without the need to apply a counter force that would create a lever to break leverage with. I like my spar, the wind shifts and it's felt with swiftly although often with apparent slow.
I lie here.
Sometimes I tell truth.
With all the fishing I've done on website cruisersforum.com I've scored me a trailer sailer and I've kept my house.
I need a little guy such that he can torque with a bigger guy that to play a clew and lie about true.
The winds from there.
Yet the read reads the wind from there.
In a moment that system will redirect and the wind will be from there.
Up windward boat. Up.

If noncruiser, requisite is seaworthy.
Happy to be your brother.

Plus Ultra
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 07:40   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I think Mike a lot of us on this forum are retired cruisers or wannabes that love the fantasy yet cannot get away from the reality of work/family/bills.......
Another reason could be like this link below, and that’s why some people like to keep their finances private.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-...-fraud/5617164
Cheers
I agree F&A, which is why I tried to leave the definition of “cruising” as wide and as self-defined as possible. I also specifically included present and past in my opening question. I know there are a number of former cruisers who are active here. I certainly didn’t want to exclude them.

Interesting story about the house fraud sale. I’ve heard of that happening elsewhere as well.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:21   #148

Boat: Allied Mistress , CS27, I14

we are looking at selling, but things got derailed for a bit.

But here is a idea my son in law proposed.
He advised us to by a rural lot, and put in well, septic and hydro.
then park a house trailer on it.
Here is eastern Ontario that does not classify as home property, but still as undeveloped land. Therefore the taxes are cheap.

The trailer is a 3 season home so somewhere to live when we come home for whatever reason, and in the winter we would rather be sailing someplace warm.

That also gives us an Ontario residence for OHIP purposes (Canadians understand this)

That brings up another question more relevant to Canadians. Do you really come home for 6 months just to keep the medical ?
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:12   #149

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Too early for me to vote as i'm not out there yet...

Mike, this is a great question. i really appreciate reading through the responses and imagining the different reasons for different decisions, etc.

and yes, i need to figure out what to do with my house, whether it is better to rent it out or sell up. though it is an endearing house to say the least, it would be way too much for me to keep up with, one day, when i'm a well-salted bag of bones.

someone mentioned how very many sell up and then last six months out there...

someone mentioned a patch of land...

a couple of people mentioned how they had to start over when returning and are not going to sell the house this time...

judging from what i've read on here, it does seem that, given the choice, having a practical base that can be returned to is a good call

are others coming to the same conclusion?

wolfgal
Old 01-04-2019, 12:57   #150
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

I’m not sure what CF membership is, but it is in the many hundreds. This thread has been in the active zone for over a week now, and has 101 votes.
I've done dozens of polls here over the years, 101 votes is pretty good!