Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.85%
No 73 56.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2019, 11:53   #76

Boat: Manta 38 S/V Bliss
Re: Land home, yes or no?

As we retired from our jobs and didnít need to stay in the landlocked work/house location. We sold the house and some belongings. The stuff we wanted to keep we stored.
The boat is home.
bliss11_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:06   #77

Boat: Hylas 49, 2000

We retired recently and we're in the process of clearing out our home and getting it ready to sell and move aboard. Some of the furniture and tools that we want to keep are going into storage and the rest is being sold or given away.

We debated the idea of renting the home, since we spent a lot fixing it up but worrying about what a renter is doing to your home and all the attendant problems of maintaining it are not worth the trouble. The consideration of whether a home is a depreciating or appreciating asset is highly dependent on the location and overall economy. I'd much rather put the money into stocks and bonds.

The other problem of keeping the house is that it gives you an out. If you keep the house, it's too easy to say that cruising is not going well and I want to go home. Without the house, you're more committed and will work harder to make the cruising work or at least give it an honest try.
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:08   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
This goes along with my advice to not make any major modifications or improvements to your new boat until you have taken her cruising for at least three months.
Hmmmmm....... Need to think about that. I really want solar, but the boat will do fine without it, just the environment will pay.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:10   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss11_11 View Post
As we retired from our jobs and didnít need to stay in the landlocked work/house location. We sold the house and some belongings. The stuff we wanted to keep we stored.
The boat is home.
This is what I'd like to do too, but Wifey ain't having' it.

Curious, did you rent a space, or a container?

I think a container would be the way to go in the event we find a place we want to live. Shipping would be a snap.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:14   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
This is what I'd like to do too, but Wifey ain't having' it.

Curious, did you rent a space, or a container?

I think a container would be the way to go in the event we find a place we want to live. Shipping would be a snap.
when downsizing use my moms way to get it started.
If you haven't used it in a full year and its not safety equipment . Get rid of it you don't need it.
Old 23-03-2019, 12:17   #81

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

We sold our expensive house in the city, bought a vastly cheaper house in a small town (but on the same Great Lake) and are using it as a storage locker with tenants in 90% of the house and my brother-in-law as property manager for a monthly consideration.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:19   #82
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

We went through the dilemma of "RENT OR SELL (Fully Furnished) twice in the last 2 years as we put the house on the market with either option.

First time, in 2017. I got my asking price on both Rent and Sell. Even substantial offers to buy above asking, but things conspired to delay moving onboard and we took it off the market.

Then last October, we put it back on the market with same options but at a much higher price.

Again, we got our asking price for both Rent and Buy.

Decided to Rent as we found Tennant's we felt very comfortable with, had a great track record renting the last 10 years and most importantly, my large workshop, was reserved and well secured to retain meaningful personal art pieces and items that we could never replace, if ever we move back on to land.

The rental contract is very specific that they are responsible for all repairs.
The renters eventually want to buy house and are already improving as if they did own it.

I am only renting for a year at a time, to keep options open ( No option to Buy clauses), have free storage, same mailing address in a foreign country and really good neighbors who will monitor in our absence.

Financially, it is better to keep an appreciating property in rental as long as its total loss could be afforded.

It is amazing how quickly we have emotionally distanced ourselves from that home and how much happier we are downsized to cruising mode.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:05   #83

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you have gone cruising*, did you sell your land home? Did your boat become your only home?

Discussion:

There are many different ways to go cruising. But this is just a simple question:
IF you have gone cruising* (past or present), did you keep a land home, or did you Ďsell it all.í

And just for clarity, many of us keep a land address to receive mail, or for other legal purposes. This is not a land home (for this pollís purpose).

(*Cruising is defined however you want, but generally refers to living and travelling on a boat for extended periods each year. )
We've found a far greater sense of freedom by getting rid of land-based interests - coupled with a simmering sense of panic, that usually goes away within a few months. Same when we were RVing full-time. Lose the anchor ashore. IF you have an easily rentable property that actually earns you some money, (with a long lease) at least turn it over to a rental agency to deal with. Friends that have tried to manage property while cruising seem to spend much if not most of their time hassling with land-based issues.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 13:24   #84

Kenomac nailed it.
donahue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:36   #85

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

HI Mike.

There is an additional option you may wish to consider, and that is keeping a home/property and turning it over to a property management company. This provides the cruising person or persons the option of having a place to return to yet doesn't tie them down with details as well as reducing/eliminating expenses, and may even turn a profit.

Technically it would be the same as keeping a property but it is nonetheless a different animal.

Cheers,

Dave
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:49   #86

Boat: Bristol 27

Slightly off thread but related. (for those in the planning stages)

I couldn't wait to get back to the coast after living inland for many years.

When I was transferred to Pensacola, FL (1995), I got an apartment on the water and moved my two beach cats there and tied them down just above high water. I bought two more (larger ones 17' and 20') over the next 6 years and sold the original two.

After 6 years, I moved over near the college for my son but was able to keep the boats at the apartment on the water for a monthly charge.

I found that I would visit my boats much more often than when I actually lived on the water and was like 150' from them. The boats were between work and home which is the same today. It's nice to stop by after work

Now, 25 years later, I have a small cruising boat, an apartment and a home. When I do cruise, I'll vacate the apartment but keep the house which is in the country. (my exwife is there and a son from time to time)

So, if I sail maybe 1000 miles South and get bored with it, I'll put the boat on the hard and fly home.

It's all about variety for many of us
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:23   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

NO, we did not sell. We own a Brownstone with 4 apts, we lived in one and rented 3. We found a property manager and now rent out all 4 apts. And as you know we have a summer cabin in the Rock.

Itís funny you mention this because itís been on our minds, how do we retire from cruising? Where do we go then? 12 months in a remote outport is not appealing, it neither is the USA. Hopefully we have a long time to consider this because Iím stumped. For now as long as I can climb the companionway Iím good.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:32   #88

Boat: Volkscruiser

I personally know three guys one who sold everything and did a round the world cruise. The second guy has been a life long boat bum and the third guy came to cruising late in life swapped his house for a yacht and large amount of cash.
Now these guys are all in there late 60s and Have no chance of ever getting their own place again unless renting is an option. (Rents are expensive here in Oz if you want anything decent)
The first guy now rents a small workshop just so he has a place to go tinker and just get off the yacht. The second guy has a shipping container fitted out as a workshop at a friends place and the third guy is moving in with his son and family. This has been there solutions to what to do since they have stopped cruising and have become live aboards in one area.
None of these guys regret their decisions but I cannot help but feel they have painted themselves into a corner.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 16:48   #89

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks folks. Love all the various ways people find to make it work.

What also comes through clear is that few decisions are forever. Things change, plans change, desires change, priorities change, life changes, we change.
Old 23-03-2019, 17:24   #90
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Land home, yes or no?

Always rented houses/apts... only ever bought boats and full time lived aboard/cruised/voyage'd on 5 of those..
So, have not voted

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote