Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: If you have gone cruising (past or present), did you sell your land home?
Yes 57 43.18%
No 75 56.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 09:19   #181

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Land home, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I don't see it conflicting with my assertion as people have been very hit and miss defining how they cruise, so the responses don't support anything.

Yes, it takes us down a rabbit hole and there isn't a wrong way to cruise but poorly worded questions get poor answers that are often misleading.
If you’ve actually read through the posts you will see the commentary does not support your “80-90%” claim. And the quantitative measure (the poll) clearly does not. So I don’t know where you’re getting your number.

If you think the poll is flawed, don’t just complain about it; DO SOMETHING. Start your own thread or poll. I’d be happy to participate if it is relevant to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
this has been a very informative thread. it has brought a number of mysteries (for future cruisers) into the light.

i'm wondering how difficult it is for the cruiser (who, i assume, becomes a liveaboard at some moment) to actually stay aboard his/her water-home as age/sickness creeps in.

i imagine, that ideally, one has a spot in a marina for starters, not too far from food supplies, doc office, friends… are there many that are planning for this day? if so, is there a longterm plan that makes sense?
thanks again, Mike for doing this poll!
Thanks Wolf, I too think it’s been an interesting discussion and poll. You raise a lot of even more interesting questions which I’d love to discuss, although they probably deserve multiple threads.

My spouse and I are still relatively young (early 50s), so I can’t say we’ve given it much thought. Physical decline as we age is inevitable, but I don’t think it’s inevitable that all people become unable to live on a boat, just like it’s not inevitable that all old people require assisted-living services to carry on in their homes. But clearly the odds increase with age.

I’ve met one very senior couple (on a different forum) who had lived all their lives as cruisers. They only recently bought their first land home when it became too difficult for them to continue. In this case it was the female partner who lost capacity, which forced them to move on land. I bet this introduces even more challenges when one person is still fit to continue, but the partner is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Agreed, thanks for the poll Mike, good discussion. Wolf, I think there are a few threads currently touching on your questions.

Despite initial plans for more far-flung cruising, I'm staying on the West Coast, mainly because my Daughter moved back to Oregon and made me a Grandfather. Fortunately, BC, Alaska, and Mexico are within reach and family/friends can join me without too much trouble.

My land home is a simple 900 sq ft cabin, 5 minutes from skiing and paddling, with hiking and fishing outside my door. I'm retired at 64... both cabin and sailboat are paid for, my possessions are few and either home can be closed up and left for months if I desire. My flexibility and endurance are diminishing over time, but I hope my dual mountain/sailboat lifestyle will help keep me active, stress-free, comfortable, and healthy into my 80s. After that I pray I die as far from a hospital bed as possible...
Thanks jkindredpdx. I’m envious. It sounds like you have a great set up.

Actually, my long-term vision for our cruising life is to have us wash up on the west coast, and live our more senior lives in the relative warmth of the BC coast. But this is not a well thought out plan .
Old 16-04-2019, 14:26   #182
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Actually, my long-term vision for our cruising life is to have us wash up on the west coast, and live our more senior lives in the relative warmth of the BC coast. But this is not a well thought out plan .
This has been an interesting discussion Mike.

For a Full Time liveaboad:

Assuming you can afford to do either....I think the dynamics of whether you decide to sell or rent are influenced by these key criteria.

A solo sailor without family will more likely cut all ties and roam free.

An older couple with adult children are more likely to rent IF they like the area they brought their kids up and their kids stay close so they can eventually enjoy their grandchildren.

IF they never liked that residence and the kids are spread out, the boat becomes a means to travel far and wide, assessing whether a location would fit them. Open timetable.

If the couple never had children, then they are more likely to sell out, unless they need the passive income from a good location

I think a solo sailor is far more likely to see thier final days on board, especially if they lost their loved one along the way. Palliative care is possible on a boat.

I think the key dynamic as a full time liveaboard is that;
'You Change'!

So what you thought important when you first cast off, changes as your travel experiences affect your priorities.

From a song I wrote many years ago, when I first started delivering yachts.

~I shoot Stars with a silver spoon... ~..I go crazy on a full moon... ~ but baby, I got no tracks, no monkey on my back... ~ Just You!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 15:28   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
...I think the key dynamic as a full time liveaboard is that;
'You Change'!

So what you thought important when you first cast off, changes as your travel experiences affect your priorities.
Thanks. But you better watch out there Pelagic. This sounds dangerously close to actual wisdom . Very true. And things change as you travel through this thing called life. What seemed important in our 20s and 30s is likely no so in our 50s and 60s. Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
From a song I wrote many years ago, when I first started delivering yachts.

~I shoot Stars with a silver spoon... ~..I go crazy on a full moon... ~ but baby, I got no tracks, no monkey on my back... ~ Just You!
Old 16-04-2019, 17:02   #184

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
this has been a very informative thread. it has brought a number of mysteries (for future cruisers) into the light.

i am curious to know more about this land home, yes or no question. it could be that, whether folks sell up or rent out the homestead, some cruisers prefer not to ever return to land... The answer to this would lie in individual preferences, health issues involved, and skill sets.

say this is the case, this person feels "at home" aboard the boat and chooses to stay, regardless. we all know that there comes a time when one is not as limber, when one has difficulty getting on and off the boat, etc...

i'm wondering how difficult it is for the cruiser (who, i assume, becomes a liveaboard at some moment) to actually stay aboard his/her water-home as age/sickness creeps in. None of us knows till life teaches us it.

i imagine, that ideally, one has a spot in a marina for starters, not too far from food supplies, doc office, friends...

are there many that are planning for this day? Planning? not really, but like Mike, there are things I think about.

if so, is there a longterm plan that makes sense? So very many variables, financial and health; but also, if you live somewhere with universal health care available to you that could make your decisions easier.

i wonder if 'old cruising friends' get together in remote locations? Some lucky ones settle in places where there are already retired cruisers. or if most all folks focus on to getting back within range of their family? The draw towards adult family who share only a few of your values, varies, of course. surely it depends (as always), but i think it is a valid question since strong friendship bonds happen out there Yes, very strong friendships do happen, and it's a long way from 50 to 80. One changes, and keeps on changing, it's hard to predict where you'll finally heave to.

perhaps this is a new thread in itself. yes, perhaps. would someone with more insight be interested in this question (and formate it better than me).

thanks again, Mike for doing this poll!

If you decide to start it, I thought of a name for your thread: "Swallow The Anchor? Why? When?"

Be well,

Ann
Old 16-04-2019, 22:26   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you’ve actually read through the posts you will see the commentary does not support your “80-90%” claim. And the quantitative measure (the poll) clearly does not. So I don’t know where you’re getting your number.

If you think the poll is flawed, don’t just complain about it; DO SOMETHING. Start your own thread or poll. I’d be happy to participate if it is relevant to me.
I have read thru the posts and it's so hit and miss describing what type of cruising that no, it doesn't support your assertion.

As a "science journalist", I would think you would understand the importance of calling out poor research...telling someone to conduct their own poll rather than addressing the issues in the original study doesn't make the study valid.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 00:59   #186
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you decide to start it, I thought of a name for your thread: "Swallow The Anchor? Why? When?"

Be well,

Ann
As the name suggests Ann, I think it is often a painful transition.

When I retired from full time on Super yachts in 2000, I lived in Puerto Galera in the Philippines.
A very beautiful cruising destination of quite beaches and great diving.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190417-155022_Maps.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	190193

Quite a few cruisers had swallowed the anchor and we had a very active yacht club.
https://www.pgyc.org/index.php

Being involved as a director of PGYC with some great guys, I noticed that we were ALL very opinionated!
I think that is one of the transtional challenges, when you join a larger community than a 45' boat
Old 17-04-2019, 04:54   #187

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I have read thru the posts and it's so hit and miss describing what type of cruising that no, it doesn't support your assertion.

As a "science journalist", I would think you would understand the importance of calling out poor research...telling someone to conduct their own poll rather than addressing the issues in the original study doesn't make the study valid.
Never intended to be scientific, only a basis for discussion per Mike's original post. As the responses clearly show, there are too many variables to draw hard & fast conclusions, but that doesn't make the poll or ensuing discussion any less useful or interesting. Imho that is . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 11:33   #188

we sold the house with a great offer, rented now for three years while learning to cruise, putting money in the kitty and eliminated all our excess "stuff".

Bought our boat, paid cash.. now we have some projects to make her a liveaboard, and will be on her full time early spring. We will not be more than 70 at dock, 30% sail, as we are still working. As nurses, we can go to st. Thomas, the keys and such. That would be our max of cruising, all we plan on.
nimbex1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 14:35   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post
we sold the house with a great offer, rented now for three years while learning to cruise, putting money in the kitty and eliminated all our excess "stuff".

Bought our boat, paid cash.. now we have some projects to make her a liveaboard, and will be on her full time early spring. We will not be more than 70 at dock, 30% sail, as we are still working. As nurses, we can go to st. Thomas, the keys and such. That would be our max of cruising, all we plan on.
hey nimbex long time no hear glad to hear things are coming together for you guys.
What boat did you finally decide on ?
Old 17-04-2019, 14:50   #190

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

To sell or not to sell your home when going full time cruising is not a question that can be answered, or rather it is so depending from personal circumstances that it is not a decision for others to follow. The fact that John sold, does not mean I should because he did and he knows better.

The thing to consider in my view is the following.

It is tempting to sell when aged say 40 or 50 and deciding to go full time. The extra money is always welcome and gives a real sense of security. However ... what happens when you will be forced to come back?

Not only poor health will make you turn back. Financial circumstances, the loss of the boat, a blue with the partner, family matters, pirates and a dozen more circumstances can and will force your hand, and then what? No house, you have to find a place to rent. Do you have a job? Income?

The reasons for sell or no sell are so vastly different that If I sell it is only because of my personal circumstances and my decision is meaningless to you.

For example ... in Sydney the rent I can get from my home is so high that it can give me a good living in most countries in the world. If I lived in Hobart or Wagga Wagga, the situation would be very different. Someone may live in a one horse town where renting at a profit is impossible so selling is a good idea. anyway, too many factors to mention.

In my opinion of course.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:03   #191
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbex1970 View Post

We are also two nurses going 70/30-80/20.... it works. Five months in the Med, five months in the Caribbean. We haven’t owned a house in over twelve years, and don’t miss it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 16:08   #192
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post

In my opinion of course.
All good points and part of the dynamics of "change"

One other valid point that I do not think has been brought up....

...After reducing down to boat size and cruising for a few years.... If you return,

.....that 4-5 bedroom house that you have, would seem too huge and unnecessary for a cruising couple.
Old 17-04-2019, 17:26   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
To sell or not to sell your home when going full time cruising is not a question that can be answered, or rather it is so depending from personal circumstances that it is not a decision for others to follow. The fact that John sold, does not mean I should because he did and he knows better….
Absolutely . Let no one think that this thread is meant to find THE RIGHT ANSWER FOR EVERYONE. Nothing could be further from the intent.

The poll is a simple attempt to find out what CF members actually do/have done. Some of us (including me) thought we knew. The numbers and discussion suggest reality is more interesting — as usual .
Old 17-04-2019, 18:59   #194
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Be well,

Ann
my plan for "swallowing the anchor " includes the purchase of a cruise a home and selling my defender many many years from now . If my health deteriorates that far that I can't sail anymore.
Cruise-A-Home Specifications
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CruiseA8-03.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	190246