Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2024, 10:55   #1

pirate Lake Wesley, VA - channel depth and dinghy access?

Hi All, In July I am headed out the Chesapeake and surrounding areas for a while and was thinking of anchoring at Lake Wesley. I was hoping to get an idea of channel depth coming into Lake Wesley and if there is anywhere near by to tie up a dingy while visiting land for a bit. I'm on a 34 foot sloop with 5 feet of draft. I have been told by others to get local knowledge of depth shortly before heading there as they say the sands shift about? Any info appreciated! thanks
shawnoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 14:04   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Lake Wesley, VA - channel depth and dinghy access?

Looks a little dicey!

Author: 13News Now Staff
Published: 5:44 PM EDT October 7, 2023

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Officials are urging boaters to use "extreme caution" in the Rudee Inlet due to "serious" shoaling in the area.

In a release Saturday, officials with the City of Virginia said the shoaling spans the channel from the east ends of the jetties and eastward 250 feet. The shoal is estimated to be 5.7 feet mean lower low water (MLLW) deep.

There is also shoaling reported on the south side of the channel, extending about 100 feet east and 100 feet west from the west end of the jetty. It's depth is estimated at 3.2 feet MLLW.

Boaters are asked to use idle speed in the inlet.

https://usa.fishermap.org/depth-map/lake-rudee-va/#map
Old 28-05-2024, 14:53   #3

Re: Lake Wesley, VA - channel depth and dinghy access?

A news report from last October is going to be out of date. The city is constantly dredging Rudee Inlet. Last ACE survey on 5/2024 shows min depth in channel at 7.5 ft. It gets shallower, though, as you turn left out of the channel into the lake. I was there with a 4.5 foot draft last summer and didn’t have any issues, though. The lake itself is plenty deep, but not too big. I was glad to be the only boat anchored. Not sure if two would fit. We dinghied over to the area inside the bridge for access, but not sure how legit we were. It isn’t really set up well for visiting sailboats. And the slips outside the bridge are often taken by the larger fishing boats during tournament time.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, dinghy