Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2010, 12:32   #1

Kerosene Heating - Your Opinion, Please . . .

Id like to hear your experience with this type of heating...pros..cons...insulated cabine or not...any information is good information.

ps. iv put a 10,000btu unit on my christmas list
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 12:37   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
kerosene? Why not a diesel heater since most boat have diesel engines and fuel tanks. Any cabin heater must be installed with a positive air flow through the combustion chamber from the cabin to the outside via the flue/chimney. Open flames in the cabin of a sealed boat is a quick way to do away with yourself.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
kerosene? Why not a diesel heater since most boat have diesel engines and fuel tanks. Any cabin heater must be installed with a positive air flow through the combustion chamber from the cabin to the outside via the flue/chimney. Open flames in the cabin of a sealed boat is a quick way to do away with yourself.
my boat no engin...kerosene lamps...kerosene stove...kerosene anchor light...the choice of a kerosene heater seems natural...also from what I hear in case of emergency I can use diesel in all these appliences.

at the moment I have an alchol stove and like it alot...however I fund a kerosene stove with oven that fits perfect in my boat...was sitting beside it and cauld not smell a dang thing...figure it will do the job.
Old 25-11-2010, 13:23   #4

Boat: Westsail 32
I don't like the flamability issue with this source of fuel
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:29   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
kerosene heaters are stable and they are warm . i know folks using them-- go for it--just be safe and make sure your cabin is well vented.
the kerosene heaters i have seen r e wide a base and stable so wont fall over in a sea-- dont use while underway--but they dont fall over in a wake situation or in chop while you are at anchor or on a mooring.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 13:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
kerosene heaters are stable and they are warm . i know folks using them-- go for it--just be safe and make sure your cabin is well vented.
the kerosene heaters i have seen r e wide a base and stable so wont fall over in a sea-- dont use while underway--but they dont fall over in a wake situation or in chop while you are at anchor or on a mooring.
the model I want is very safe...if you tip it or just tilt it on an angle it shuts off...also I will only use it when the boat is stationary and with ventilation...these units have been used in homes for ages and they are approuved...I cauld pay top $$ for a bulkhead mounted unit...but this $180 model is all I need and will do the same job...also id rather keep my bulkheads for my kids photos ...we dont have much wall space in boats.

I am interested to know if hull insulation make a huge difference?
Old 25-11-2010, 13:57   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I had a cheap kerosene heater on this boat, last time I put it out I put it out with a fire extinguisher (this was not a fault of the fuel so much as the heater it'self). That said I was going to install a diesel cookstove but it was recommended to me by well experienced individuals to burn kerosene it, it is actually far more efficient/heats up faster than diesel. If I had to choose between propane, kerosene and diesel I would probably get a Dickinson Newport Diesel heater and burn kerosene in it (Dickinson will promptly provide the tweak necessary to do this)....I btw have a wood stove.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:04   #8

id love a wood stove...especialy sins wood is all over every beaches...however I did not see a unit that would be practicle for my boat...the limited space would make it inconvinient as a sole heating mode
Old 25-11-2010, 14:26   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
when i had a non insulated boat , ws difficult to keep warm. steel boat, also difficult to warm. my formosa seems to be warmable--not insulated, but has wood coach house roof. i had a small sloop with doubled ports-- that was good--had a soft vinyl interior with some teak...very nice to heat with 2 oil lamps. but that is kali..we have gone to 38 degrees F in htis bay numerous times --i have used my kerosene lamps and downy quilts--if you live in coldspot, you may want to insulate the hull, as everytime you touch it you will jolt into reality fast--especially when sleeping....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 14:33   #10
Eternal Member

Dickeson makes a very nice Diesel heater called the Newport, they also make another Newport solid fuel heater. about $300 new but around $100 or less used)

I have a pretty quirky old stove, between types of wood, wind, atmospheric. conditions, the mood of the stove etc all effect how different wood burns. I use logs made from compressed hardwood (not the "Presto-Logs" which are made from pine wood pulp). A 4" piece put on in the evening is coals and a bit of unburnt by morning. I have tried using scraps of "real" wood but that doesn't work very well.
Old 25-11-2010, 14:37   #11

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Non vented heaters in boats are dangerous as hell. If your vent closes or is accidentally closed, it cfan use up enough oxygen from your interior to put you into co poisoning. You can find wall mounted kero heaters for under 200 if you look for used ones. You may be able to use kero in a diesel stove or heater, but do not try using diesel in a primus burner or you will have a totally sooted up interior. I recently bought a 2 burner Taylor kero stove with primus burners. It was filthy. I got it for 25 bucks. Both burners were toast due to use of diesel fuel. I also recently found a little Gypsy wood stove for cheap. Of course there are those fancy ones made here in WA state, but at 2500 dollars they seem a mite dear to me.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 14:41   #12

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Wolfenzee, where are you getting your hardwood pressed logs? Is it a commerical endeavor or do you make them? Brand name? I am just outside of Bellingham, so if there are ones available to buy, I could find them.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2010, 14:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
Dickeson makes a very nice Diesel heater called the Newport about $300 new but around $100 or less used).they make another Newport winch is for "solid fuel"

I have a pretty quirky old stove between types of wood, wind, atmospheric. conditions, the mood of the stove etc all effect how different wood burns I use logs made fro compressed hardwood (not the "Presto-Logs" which are made from wood pulp). A 4" piece put on in the evening is coals and a bit of un burnt by morning. I have tried useing scraps of "real" wood but that doesn't work very well.
Thanks I will look into this now...as for wood the only wood id burn in good consious is fallen trees...drift wood or construction discards...all of wich are abondent and free...but not the best?
Old 25-11-2010, 15:00   #14
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
Wolfenzee, where are you getting your hardwood pressed logs? Is it a commerical endeavor or do you make them? Brand name? I am just outside of Bellingham, so if there are ones available to buy, I could find them.
I get the hardwood pressed logs from a store here in town but "CYNEX" which is here in the PNW also sells them...about $1/log
Old 25-11-2010, 15:12   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
I get the hardwood pressed logs from a store here in town but "CYNEX" which is here in the PNW also sells them...about $1/log
how long would one log burn for?
just curious

Tags
heating